What have you purchased recently?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Looks like my NAS just powered through the first power loss since plugging in the UPS three days ago. I woke up ten minutes after, to a hard wind outside. The PS4 and PC were both sleeping and had to be booted up cold. At least I already know it works.
I have two UPS systems- one for my main rig and another one for my modem and router (it used to be for my previous computer). We get enough brownouts and short power losses around here to where they've far more than made themselves worthwhile.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Oh yeah, plugged in the router too, so that I can power off the NAS from my phone during an outage that lasts longer than two or three minutes. Most of them are very brief. Edit: But the internet probably won't work anyway, with the router connected with the coaxial.

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I have a 5.1 home theater that is pretty nice. Better than I deserve. But my daughter moved back in with us to save up for her own place rather than rent. So. I don't get that experience most of the time as it is on her side of the house. So I'm trying to turn my office 11x11 into a home theater too. I have a 14 year old Yamaha RX that is still working, 5.1 hand-me down speakers (Boston Acoustic) my brother in law gave me as he R&R them with new Polk Audio. Fiber for 5.1 sound coming from my PC. Splitter on HDMI out of RX 480 graphics card. One goes to a several year old 39" 1080p Vizio LED TV. Hit a button and it instead goes to a very entry level native 1080p projector. In this small room, best I can expect is about 100" so that screen is in theory on its way. I got such a good deal I think it possible seller may cancel the order. I tested out the projector and it does turn on. Can't wait for that projector screen. Course, my wife yelled at me for "wasting" money. Worth it!

Little freaked out in that I powered it off, and without a cool down with fan running before turning off completely, which used to be standard built in protocol, it just completely shut off. New tech?

1652203603484.png

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
New tint for the rear window of my car. Under the Texas sun, it started bubbling last year, and has since gotten more pronounced to the point that seeing out of the rear window is blurry enough as to be dangerous. Also difficult for a speed freak like myself to recognize a cop vehicle in tow when I'm doing 70mph in a school zone.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
This ugly ass PS2 controller, look at it.
1652383321183.png
It's as uncomfortable to use as it looks like, truly the worst controller I own, 10/10 would buy again.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
A new sata ssd. My computer kinda crapped itself and I got a new drive so I wouldn't have to lose everything on my old C drive through a rebuild. Turns out its gotten much quicker to recover from having to do something like this. Even with bad backups.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Car insurance payment. Had to get my charging pin fixed for my phone. I decided to get my PS4 cleaned, and it will be picked up tomorrow. My brother gave me his XBOX ONE X, and I will pay him back in 2 weeks.

These products I am about to list, I did not pay for, because I traded in my 360 Slim and all the controllers for them at a Disc Replay, and used store credit on them. I got XONE copies of Rare Replay/Gears of War Ultimate Edition Combo, Evil Within 2, and DOA5: Last Round. RE2 Remake I got at the GameStop next door for free by using the monthly $5 coupon and my other $5 coupon.

Reactions: gorfias

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
New tint for the rear window of my car. Under the Texas sun, it started bubbling last year, and has since gotten more pronounced to the point that seeing out of the rear window is blurry enough as to be dangerous. Also difficult for a speed freak like myself to recognize a cop vehicle in tow when I'm doing 70mph in a school zone.
Apparently, ALL my tint has turned brown (I've a 2014 Lancer; ) I didn't notice as the transition has been gradual. They recommend I change the tint on ALL my windows. Still debating, but I imagine that's going to be a purchase in my near future. It actually doesn't look bad (imagine sunglasses,) but the idea of having new tint in the back with old tint on the four doors is affecting my OCD. Gonna get a quote; I'm hoping they say something exorbitantly high so I can tell them to fuck off; elsewise, I'm going back with my wallet and butt cheeks spread wide open...

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Thank goodness I didn't get a 120". It would not come close to fitting in my little office. The 100" barely does. And I was going to cheap out and just use wire to hang up the projector screen from the lowered ceiling but thought better of it. $65 for the screen, $15 for the hooks. The screen smells strongly of chemicals. Comments at Amazon suggest that will fade with use. Now I have to figure out what to do with this speaker on the right. A shelf? A small piece of furniture? Oh well. For now, I can play Forza Horizon 4 from my PC over a 5.1 sound system and it is a better, inexpensive experience than I deserve.

1652746846840.png
I keep hoping that comes to steam since I would quite like to play through those again... and play the ones I never did back in the day.
Do you play any Microsoft games on PC? For instance, I have Gears 4 play anywhere. On an Xbox or PC. Just completed a level and, it is almost as pretty as 5. 5 is prettier. But can't complain. 4 is very good looking and fun to play as well.

Last edited:

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
A TCL 5 series 50" 4k TV, an upgrade from my 48" Toshiba 1080p TV that started suddenly blowing out the blue tones and couldn't be adjusted to fix it very well. I got my money's worth with it, $250 all in from a second hand shop.

This new TV is... holy shit. Like, WOW. And it's not even the top of the line of TCL's TVs. But it does more than enough and then some for my needs. I was very happy to see that I could turn all the smart features off as well and make it behave like a dumb TV (like my old one). Did that right away, never even let this thing connect to the internet... just gonna let it be a TV like it should be

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
A TCL 5 series 50" 4k TV, an upgrade from my 48" Toshiba 1080p TV that started suddenly blowing out the blue tones and couldn't be adjusted to fix it very well. I got my money's worth with it, $250 all in from a second hand shop.

This new TV is... holy shit. Like, WOW. And it's not even the top of the line of TCL's TVs. But it does more than enough and then some for my needs. I was very happy to see that I could turn all the smart features off as well and make it behave like a dumb TV (like my old one). Did that right away, never even let this thing connect to the internet... just gonna let it be a TV like it should be
Might have been better to just buy a display panel or something.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Thank goodness I didn't get a 120". It would not come close to fitting in my little office. The 100" barely does. And I was going to cheap out and just use wire to hang up the projector screen from the lowered ceiling but thought better of it. $65 for the screen, $15 for the hooks. The screen smells strongly of chemicals. Comments at Amazon suggest that will fade with use. Now I have to figure out what to do with this speaker on the right. A shelf? A small piece of furniture? Oh well. For now, I can play Forza Horizon 4 from my PC over a 5.1 sound system and it is a better, inexpensive experience than I deserve.

View attachment 6174

Do you play any Microsoft games on PC? For instance, I have Gears 4 play anywhere. On an Xbox or PC. Just completed a level and, it is almost as pretty as 5. 5 is prettier. But can't complain. 4 is very good looking and fun to play as well.
I have Gears 5 and Gears tactics, on top of all the Halo games on steam. Apparently there are rumors of a Gears remaster so hopefully we shall see something at E3 along with a steam annoucement.

It would be rather hilarious for one of the big 'epic games' games to show up on Steam considering how much epic is still trying to snipe Steam.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Might have been better to just buy a display panel or something.
Eh, not really worth it since the TV was pretty garbo in general (Nobody I have talked to holds Tohiba TVs in high regard either). Doubtful I'd find a panel replacement that works either. The world's testing 8k stuff and I was still stuck in 1080p with a budget-ass looking screen. Plus it didn't look very good with my Macbook Air outputting to it as a secondary display as well, so it was probably about time I got something better

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Eh, not really worth it since the TV was pretty garbo in general (Nobody I have talked to holds Tohiba TVs in high regard either). Doubtful I'd find a panel replacement that works either. The world's testing 8k stuff and I was still stuck in 1080p with a budget-ass looking screen. Plus it didn't look very good with my Macbook Air outputting to it as a secondary display as well, so it was probably about time I got something better
That’s not what I meant. I meant purchasing a commercial digital display panel - the kind you see mounted on walls in buildings - and just hook up a sound system abs other devices so you don’t have to do what you had to do.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
That’s not what I meant. I meant purchasing a commercial digital display panel - the kind you see mounted on walls in buildings - and just hook up a sound system abs other devices
Looking at the cost of a commercial display with similar spec to what I paid for with my TV, I'd be out a lot more money for one of those.

so you don’t have to do what you had to do
... Do what, go into Best Buy and buy a TV? I feel like I'm missing something here, this wasn't some sort of ordeal or anything like that

K

ko11b

PC desk. I replaced my dining table, which makes my room significantly less cramped. From 35 inches wide to 24 inches. Eleven inches is more than it sounds.

View attachment 1253

Built the desk yesterday and had to rebuild it this morning after realizing I screwed up part of the assembly.
A four legged desk how the hell do you screw up desk assembly??