What old IPs/series do you think or would you like to see a new game in?

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Thinking about a new Tenchu a bit more...what would it be like?

There's plenty of stuff with stealth elements, ES/FO, Deus Ex, CP2077, Watchdogs, those sort of open world games that you can play stealthily but aren't really specifically designed for it (disclaimer, not played all of those so I may bew a bit off)

Sniper Elite, Assassins creed, Theif, Dishonoured...only played SE, but from what I gather they were all far more designed for stealth although ass creed got less so as it went along.

Hitman, I've seen a few lets plays of that and it looks like maybe a version of that set in fuedal (or whenever, not an expert in Japanese history) Japan with a bit more acrobatics like in ass creed might be the ticket. Might not be able to get so creative with kills. I think it might fit with the original Tenchu format of having a set area specifically designed with objectives to tackle in a variety of ways rather than a more open world thing like ass creed. You could have levels which are a bit more of the sneaky disguise "totally died an accidental death" sort of thing, or more in the lines of the original zip lining around in black and slitting throats kind of thing.

Doubt it would ever happen, but if it did they would have my attention.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It starts off decent but just increasingly shits the bed over time. There's a lot of weirdly big and empty maps which are a absolute bore to traverse and navigate, More of the later "scenes" increasingly use unpolished/unfinished concept art. It kind of feels like they just increasingly lost interest in developing the game as they progressed and just phoned it in.

I did enjoy Underrail but I did hate how it was old school to a fault. At least back when I played it, there wasn't even an in game map or proper quest log. It was a pain in the ass to keep track of what the hell I was doing when I stepped away from the game for a few days. Don't know if I'll ever go back to finish it. I kinda stopped playing when I was getting to the Upper Underrail.
I think they added a map at some point (I was following the wiki map at the start). If you've reach upper underrail you're about 80% of the way trough, but the last chapter isn't very good imo.

Another entry for lost IP would be ogre battle, and I'm saying that just because an indie game just came out with a similar system which reminded me of them. Ogre battle worked by letting you put many unit together to make a squad and depending on what position they were they would do specific action so you had a ton of option in making squad since they tend to have a lot of class/monster available.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I think they added a map at some point (I was following the wiki map at the start). If you've reach upper underrail you're about 80% of the way trough, but the last chapter isn't very good imo.

Another entry for lost IP would be ogre battle, and I'm saying that just because an indie game just came out with a similar system which reminded me of them. Ogre battle worked by letting you put many unit together to make a squad and depending on what position they were they would do specific action so you had a ton of option in making squad since they tend to have a lot of class/monster available.
Apparently OB basically turned into Final Fantasy Tactics, or at least a lot of the team ended up over there.

Speaking of which FFT feels like it needs some love. Like a current gen port or remaster would be fine.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Apparently OB basically turned into Final Fantasy Tactics, or at least a lot of the team ended up over there.

Speaking of which FFT feels like it needs some love. Like a current gen port or remaster would be fine.
I want FF Tactics Advance 1 and 2 ported. Good games and I like the world and systems, would be cool to see them make a third game that revamps and improves upon the mechanics.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Ah, I'd like to see Sigma Star Saga get a new entry. It was a very interesting way to play a sidescrolling space shooter and I'd like to see a new game that could refine what the original did.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
The ol' reliable...

Yes, i know about ALYX.
No, i don't count it as a real HL3.
Yes, it dug up the hopes i have already buried.

From less tired examples:

A proper sequel to Mankind Divided, that was undoubtedly on the table, til Squeenix canned it.

Another Thief game - but it would have to be a really good one. Like, a genre defining one. Otherwise, what's the point.

That unrealized Prey 2 version, that let us play as space bounty hunter. Or just an immersive sim space bounty hunter game, it doesn't need to be a sequel to anything.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA

Final Fantasy Tactics... if they were to go that route I'd prefer it if they based things more on the first FFT. The one that was more mature comparatively in plot and style. While they did have serious elements the later ones became increasingly more lighthearted in plot and overall tone. FFT1 was based around "war is hell" and "classism is bad" themes in it's story and it was a better game for it.

Another old one... Lunar. There has not been a game in the Lunar series since Lunar Dragon Song on the DS, and that was an awful game both mechanically and storywise that pretty much torpedoed the franchise. Before that the only new game they had that made it overseas was Lunar Eternal Blue with the rest of the releases being remakes of the older games, especially Lunar Silver Star. The first 2 games were magnificent and that's what I'd like to see more of.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Capcom...please make another Final Fight game! After SF6 comes out, I hope they make another game. It can run on the RE Engine and play like Spikeout for all I care, and I would still play it as long as it plays good. 2D, 2.5D, I don't care! Bring back some old characters, while having plenty of new ones to play.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Didn't stop RE from succeeding. All they got do is a modest budget. They don't have to all in.
Are you talking about the originals or remakes? Because if it's the former, then it's telling that RE outsold DC even when they were being released at the same time. If the latter, that's still not indicative since the remakes had decades of good will and cultural saturation to build off.

Hence why a reboot/remake would be the best option. All you have been saying is how "it would not work" for arbitrary reason.
Then we have very different definitions of what counts as arbitrary.

Yes it is, when a lot of these companies have said variations of "X does not sell well in today's market. X game/genre is dead because nobody plays them anymore." Don't forget that Capcom thought same thing at one point about RE. Claiming how modern survival horror would not work, because it was not profitable enough. When they tried pleasing everyone with RE6 by just adding in COD/Gears style gameplay. A lot of indie games and AA games proved how full of shit companies like Capcom, Konami, and EA were being. It's not they don't sell well. It's that they don't make the money in the goddamn universe. Sega said the same thing about SOR since the late 90s and early 2000s. How "No one wants a brawler. They don't sell well or not enough money." It's been pointed out and shown how Sega of Japan (America and Europe love the series like its their baby) has a weird hatred of Streets of Rage for little reason, despite making money. They've had it out for the series since the SOR2.
Yes, all of those are success stories. Do you want some failure stories?

Advance Wars has been dead since 2010, and when spiritual successors have been created (Tiny Metal, Wargroove), they've quickly faded from public eye, and has been completely overshadowed by Fire Emblem both financially and culturally.

Golden Sun was brought back in 2010 after a ten year absence, failed to see even 1 million copies, now it's been dead for 12 years, is unlikely to ever be revived, and has left the series in a worse spot plotwise since now there's a cliffhanger that'll never be resolved.

Spyro 4 is, at best, in development hell, likely in part due to the fact that Crash 4 didn't outsell the N.Sane Trilogy (there's clearly more of a market for nostalgia than new installments - look at RE for another example.)

Star Fox is practically on life support now. Some of that's due to mismanagement on Nintendo's part, but I checked the sales figures - we went from 4 million copies sold of Star Fox 64, to 400,000 sold for Star Fox Zero.

I'd love to not have to consider the financial side of things, and personally, I don't have to, but there's numerous examples where an IP has been brought back from a long hibernation and failed to do well financially, and even when it does, is overshadowed. There's a reason why Capcom makes more RE and Monster Hunter games than Street Fighter for instance, just as there's a reason why Nintendo makes more Mario and Pokemon games than Metroid. So while it might be nice to see Dino Crisis remakes, I can understand why Capcom's focused on RE remakes, even if we've got into questionable territory with RE4.

Exactly, but it took those idiots the latter half of a decade to figure all that out. We all knew RE4 would happen before CV as a remake, because RE4 would sell the most. No denying that, and I necessarily don't mind. I don't care much for CV any way, so it's not that big of a loss. Besides, I like DC better than CV. Actually there is a creative reason for the RE4 Remake. The more serious direction and less unintentional cheese. This is noted in the trailer and nothing new here. They did a more serious direction RE2 and RE3 Remake.
Speaking personally, I originally thought that Code: Veronica would be remade first, since it would stand to benefit from it more. That I like RE4 more than CV is more of a reason to remake CV, since it could be improved. I mean, the RE4 remake is going to have less of a graphical jump, less of a shift in gameplay (over the shoulder), and after the RE3 remake, how convinced should we be that it'll not cut out stuff?

As for the cheese, well, yeah, the remake's going for a more serious tone, but the difference is that the cheese in RE1-3 was mostly unintentional, whereas RE4 was very self-aware. I don't think a more serious tone is a bad thing, but there's less stuff to 'correct' there.

Other than light-gun spin-off game, because 3 was piece of shit. I rest my case. Had they gone with the original plan of DC3 taking place in a city, the game would have sold better. That was one of the ideas, and Regina and Dylan were set to return. Why Capcom abandoned it for no reason is beyond me, and shows their astounding incompetence back in the day.
Dino Stalker was released a year before Dino Crisis 3. Also, the reason Capcom abandoned the cityscape idea is due to the September 11 attacks. Personally, I think that's a bit of a stretch, but it's the reason given nonetheless.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
James Pond, but only because sometimes I just want a really simple platformer. I'd play for about ten minutes I reckon.

Might and Magic.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was referring to Dino Crisis as a remake. They can cut back a little, if need be. They got the RE Engine running on Switch with Monster Hunter Rise. It would be fine.

Yes, all of those are success stories. Do you want some failure stories?

Advance Wars has been dead since 2010, and when spiritual successors have been created (Tiny Metal, Wargroove), they've quickly faded from public eye, and has been completely overshadowed by Fire Emblem both financially and culturally.

Golden Sun was brought back in 2010 after a ten year absence, failed to see even 1 million copies, now it's been dead for 12 years, is unlikely to ever be revived, and has left the series in a worse spot plotwise since now there's a cliffhanger that'll never be resolved.

Spyro 4 is, at best, in development hell, likely in part due to the fact that Crash 4 didn't outsell the N.Sane Trilogy (there's clearly more of a market for nostalgia than new installments - look at RE for another example.)

Star Fox is practically on life support now. Some of that's due to mismanagement on Nintendo's part, but I checked the sales figures - we went from 4 million copies sold of Star Fox 64, to 400,000 sold for Star Fox Zero.
Your point? I don't care. Plus, Activision has absurd expectations and got rid of Vicarious Visions and transferred them to the COD mines. They expectations don't count for shit on what makes a good sell. The game did fine all things considered, just not in comparison to the N.Sane Trilogy. Nintendo fucked up with SF0, because Miyamoto can't get out of his own way without some dumb gimmick forced on the player. It was on a console a lot of people did not want.

Then we have very different definitions of what counts as arbitrary.
Good for you, because that's what you've been doing.
Speaking personally, I originally thought that Code: Veronica would be remade first
I didn't. I knew from the get go, Capcom would skip out. They still high off a that RE4 green.

I mean, the RE4 remake is going to have less of a graphical jump, less of a shift in gameplay (over the shoulder), and after the RE3 remake, how convinced should we be that it'll not cut out stuff?
Doesn't matter to Capcom, nor most of the gaming consumers.

whereas RE4 was very self-aware.
No it wasn't. Some parts lands, but most of the cheese was unintentional, just in a slightly different way compared to the PSX trilogy. It's stupid defense I am sick and tired of. And only really got popular because people like Yahtzee, Two Best Friends, and Sterling, etc. kept repeating the parroting rhetoric over and over again to prop the games positives further. While either ignoring the negative aspects off the game, or downright putting down or exaggerating the flaws of the old titles (mainly Yahtzee) to make RE4 sound like the perfect game with almost no flaws.

Dino Stalker was released a year before Dino Crisis 3.
Okay then.

Also, the reason Capcom abandoned the cityscape idea is due to the September 11 attacks.
Didn't stop them from releasing the Outbreak games, nor having an apocalyptic France in Onimusha 3. I highly doubt that.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Thinking about a new Tenchu a bit more...what would it be like?

There's plenty of stuff with stealth elements, ES/FO, Deus Ex, CP2077, Watchdogs, those sort of open world games that you can play stealthily but aren't really specifically designed for it (disclaimer, not played all of those so I may bew a bit off)

Sniper Elite, Assassins creed, Theif, Dishonoured...only played SE, but from what I gather they were all far more designed for stealth although ass creed got less so as it went along.

Hitman, I've seen a few lets plays of that and it looks like maybe a version of that set in fuedal (or whenever, not an expert in Japanese history) Japan with a bit more acrobatics like in ass creed might be the ticket. Might not be able to get so creative with kills. I think it might fit with the original Tenchu format of having a set area specifically designed with objectives to tackle in a variety of ways rather than a more open world thing like ass creed. You could have levels which are a bit more of the sneaky disguise "totally died an accidental death" sort of thing, or more in the lines of the original zip lining around in black and slitting throats kind of thing.

Doubt it would ever happen, but if it did they would have my attention.

The new Hitman trilogy is basically the definitive answer to a remake there.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I was referring to Dino Crisis as a remake. They can cut back a little, if need be.
What, like RE3?

Yeah, I haven't really mentioned that until now, but if DC gets a remake, I'd rather it get the full treatment (which is also why I'm iffy about RE4 - I wouldn't be surprised if it cuts stuff out as well).

Your point?
That it's silly to employ a line of logic that goes "bringing back X would succeed, look at Y!", when the counter-argument is that "but Z didn't succeed." Not to mention that-

I don't care.
Right. You don't care. So if you don't care, should I care? Bearing in mind that trying to link Streets of Rage with Dino Crisis is an extreme stretch, but if your response to counter-examples is "I don't care," then there's not much point in discussing anything.

Frankly, I don't really care that you don't care, the potential issues with bringing back Dino Crisis (or any IP) don't magically disappear if one doesn't care about them.

Plus, Activision has absurd expectations and got rid of Vicarious Visions and transferred them to the COD mines. They expectations don't count for shit on what makes a good sell. The game did fine all things considered, just not in comparison to the N.Sane Trilogy.
Impressive. Almost every sentence in that paragraph was wrong.

First, I haven't been able to find any 'expectations figure' in regards to Crash 4, and you're missing the point I originally made. Whatever expectations Activision may or may not have had is irrelevant, the sad truth is that Crash 4 failed to outsell the N. Sane Trilogy, and that's an issue for two reasons. First, sequels are expected to outsell their predecessors on general principle, and if they don't, that's a warning sign. Crash 4 could have been made by Naughty Dog, and this maxim wouldn't change. Second, there's also the (more subjective) issue that a remaster outsold a new entry, and while that isn't unexpected, it's not the best reflection of the media landscape (the same goes true for films), that a remaster of three games from the 90s can sell better than a new game built from the ground up. Heck, I'm not exactly better there myself, since I haven't even played Crash 4 yet (still own it).

Second, Activision did not "get rid of" Vicarious Visions - VV didn't even make Crash 4, Toys for Bob did. It's true that VV has been renamed "Blizzard Albany" and assigned as a support studio, but that had nothing to do with Crash, nor has VV worked on any CoD game, nor is it listed among the support studios for any upcoming CoD game.

Third, in isolation, Crash 4 "did fine." I agree. That isn't the issue though, as I covered in the first point. I'd love to imagine that Crash is on the verge of a renaissance, I'd love for him to stick around, but given everything we know about how sequel expectations work, things aren't as rosy as I'd like them to be.

Nintendo fucked up with SF0, because Miyamoto can't get out of his own way without some dumb gimmick forced on the player. It was on a console a lot of people did not want.
Again, you're missing the point. I wasn't talking about just Zero, I pointed out that Star Fox has been on a steady sales decline since Star Fox 64, and that even if not for Zero's own supposed issues (I say supposed, in that having played it, my thoughts are much more charitable), the sad truth is that the IP's been slowly sliding away. Much as I wish that wasn't the case. If Zero was a stand-alone stuff up, it would actually give me more hope for future entries, but unfortunately, that isn't the case.

Good for you, because that's what you've been doing.
This coming from the person whose earlier response was "I don't care" in regards to counter-points which have included actual sales figures and fan-size estimations based on numerics.

If anyone's being arbitrary, it's you.

Doesn't matter to Capcom, nor most of the gaming consumers.
Probably not. Which isn't a good thing in either case, but hey, subjective.

No it wasn't. Some parts lands, but most of the cheese was unintentional, just in a slightly different way compared to the PSX trilogy. It's stupid defense I am sick and tired of. And only really got popular because people like Yahtzee, Two Best Friends, and Sterling, etc. kept repeating the parroting rhetoric over and over again to prop the games positives further. While either ignoring the negative aspects off the game, or downright putting down or exaggerating the flaws of the old titles (mainly Yahtzee) to make RE4 sound like the perfect game with almost no flaws.
Oh for goodness sake, it's not some conspiracy that people noticed RE4's cheese. It's like saying that the only reason people dislike(d) the prequel trilogy is because of RLM. People noticed the shift in tone in RE4 as soon as it came out.

But to be clear, RE4 has cheese, and almost certainly knows it. There's a reason, I'd wager, that the game makes the transition from horror (village) to action (island), and the no. of wisecracks from Leon and co. increases as time goes on. This in a game that purposely separates itself from the games that came before it, both narratively and mechanically. That's very different from earlier games whose cheese game from hookey writing and/or voice acting. Leon and Ashley riding off into the sunset is a concious choice. Barry's Jill sandwich line? Not as much.

And if you want to talk about quality, that's another issue - that RE4 is intentionally cheesy is irrelevant to its overall quality. Personally, I think it's the best RE game ever made, even after all these years, and that opinion isn't exactly fringe. Also part of why the remake frustrates me, because RE4 is, like, the last game you want to remake in the series. Heck, I'd frankly love remakes of Survivour and Dead Aim since they'd benefit from them even more than Code: Veronica. Unlikely to ever happen, but there's far more mechanical and narrative benefit to be had there.

Didn't stop them from releasing the Outbreak games, nor having an apocalyptic France in Onimusha 3. I highly doubt that.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Guys. Shut the fuck up. If they were sure things, we'd probably not be discussing them in a topic about wishing the IP wasnt dead.

This wasnt a topic about justifying why it'd be viable, or attacking why they shouldn't bother bringing something back. It's a wistful 'what if' of titles which we individually loved and would be pleased to see once more.

The discussion value here is in waxing nostalgicly together or pointing out titles which might just scratch that itch. Not attacking each others choices.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'd say Heart of Darkness, but then I know it wouldn't have the same hand drawn-ish look. It'd be cool if we could just get a port on the Switch honestly.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia

I think the most recent FFT-ish thing we got is War of the Visions. Which is sadly mobile garbage.

I did have a brief stint with it. Thing is, it kinda has potential. The art style and character designs are pretty nice. Graphically it ain't too shabby and I wouldn't complain about a premium mobile title or a Switch game with those graphics.

It kinda has the ingredients to a decent FFT-style game. There's warring nations! And political intrigue, conspiracies, ancient evils and powers, complicated character relationship webs and what have you.

But sadly the writing itself is pretty horrendous, and the characters are just written really badly and come off as incredibly unnatural and/or stupid. I feel like the overall plot beats aren't actually that bad, but the badly written characters and motivations just ruin it. The gameplay itself is marred by mobile game gacha rubbish. Trying to max out a character by free to play is just a horrendously long road of sadness.

I can't help but just see a lot of lost potential with War of the Visions. If it was conceived as a console/PC game and had better writers, it could've been something pretty good I reckon.

The best we got with the original FFT is the enhanced PSP port which also has an android release IIRC.

Talk about long dead JRPG fare, a new Suikoden would be nice to see. I can't say I've been the biggest fan of the series, I only played 5 and never finished it. But I do like the idea of gathering a stupid amount of party members. There's that Eiyuden Chronicles thing coming out I suppose....

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What, like RE3?
No. I meant in terms of graphics. Hell, make it a little more stylized, if they want. If they go in full budget, that's fine too. Capcom is no longer in the financial trouble they were in the mid 2010s. They can more than take the risk. They're already taking a risk with Exoprimal, DC would have been the safer bet.

As for the rest @Hawki, I am not going to respond, because I give 0 fucks. I made my point and decision clear. It's a waste time on why you disagree and explaining why you're so skeptical, pedantic, and arbitrary about it. This back and forth is pointless, tiring, and I don't care to hear anything further from you on "why it can't/wouldn't work or too expensive," or whatever. It's a what if, wish fulfillment thread. I am moving the fuck on. Don't bother responding back, if it's more of the same bullshit.

This wasnt a topic about justifying why it'd be viable, or attacking why they shouldn't bother bringing something back. It's a wistful 'what if' of titles which we individually loved and would be pleased to see once more.

The discussion value here is in waxing nostalgicly together or pointing out titles which might just scratch that itch. Not attacking each others choices.
Thank you. Glad to see someone spell it out and explain it.

Another game/franchise that should come back: Ristar and Spikeout. Sega has so many IPs they don't know, nor care what to do with. At the very least Spikeout should get a Remaster/HD Collection. Ristar should have hand-animation style, similar to SOR4. Ristar would look more like a 90s Saturday morning cartoon, instead of a comic book.

I'd say Heart of Darkness, but then I know it wouldn't have the same hand drawn-ish look. It'd be cool if we could just get a port on the Switch honestly.
I am sure it could and would. Otherwise, it would not be the same. They're are plenty of indie and smaller games with a hand drawn style. A modern port on modern console definitely would work. The game has already aged well in terms of visuals, and would not just be stuck on the PS1. Crazy enough, one of the secondhand retailers about 15 minutes away from me has a few copies of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Casual Shinji

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bloody Roar definitely needs a comeback, or at the least an HD Remaster Collection of the the first three games + Primal Fury. Too bad Konami owns their ass. I would love a reboot of Wild 9, but the closest we got was Bulletstorm. The arcade crazy FPS is the better successor though. Speaking of Bulletstorm, this game is begging for a sequel. Can you imagine an even more refined game with a weapon wheel, actual health meters, Doom style executions, and more verticality and maneuverability? The Full Clip Edition showed how much the three weapon limit was holding the game back. FCE has a NG+ where you can play with all of the weapon unlocked from the start! Yes, it breaks the game, but it makes the game so much more fun. The solution to balance that problem is to play on Hard mode. With a sequel, all of this would be ironed out or improved and advanced upon.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren