General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Context: buncha petulant 'fans' don't like the art style of the new Monkey Island, bitched loudly about it.
That sucks, and shows how petty the "true fans" can be. Be happy you're getting a new Monkey Island at all, instead shitting on the developer.

Screw you. Here's an idea: Make a sequel to some of your lesser known games, or popular IPs that has not gotten a sequel since either the GC or Wii era. You don't need to innovate at every single turn.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

Blind patriotism kills industry yet again. Total dumbfounding idiocy. Plz seek professional help for feelings of patriotism: it's a mental illness that only harms everyone around it.

Video game companies in Québec will be impacted by a new controversial language law.

The aim of Bill 96 is to strengthen the French-speaking province's language laws, ensuring French is the main language spoken in everything from business to healthcare.

However, it's feared this will drive away non-French speakers from Québec's considerable video game industry.

A number of major developers are situated in Québec, including Ubisoft (Immortals Fenyx Rising), Warner Bros. Games (Gotham Knights), Behaviour (Dead by Daylight), Gameloft (the Asphalt series), and Eidos Montreal (Guardians of the Galaxy).

Over 11,000 people are employed in the Québec video game industry, which generates almost $1.75bn revenue for the province each year, according to Québec's Industry Ministry.

An anonymous source speaking to CBC said many games industry workers are now looking to leave Québec.

"You already see it, with some people who are looking at Bill 96 and saying: 'OK, it's time for me to pack up and leave,'" he said.

As English is the default language for much of the gaming industry, he said having to learn French would drive potential workers away from Québec.

"I just don't see Québec companies being able to attract talent if that's what they have to [contend with]," he said.

Christopher Chancey, the chairman of the board of the Guilde du jeu vidéo du Québec, responded that the organisation supports French being the default language in Québec's gaming industry.

"But we have a lot of people coming from everywhere around the world to make video games here in Québec," he said. "Our fear is that this is sending out a message [that Québec is] not inclusive to other cultures.

"I think everyone understands the importance of the French language ... I think it's just a question of making sure that [newcomers] feel included as well."

The newly formed Office for the Protection of the French language told CBC: "All sectors must contribute to the effort to ensure the sustainability of our official and common language."

The French government recently banned the official use of anglicised gaming terms, something the Guilde du jeu vidéo du Québec assisted with.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Blind patriotism kills industry yet again. Total dumbfounding idiocy. Plz seek professional help for feelings of patriotism: it's a mental illness that only harms everyone around it.
Yeah, I posted a similar link a few days ago. This stinks to high heaven of racism and nationalism. They'll suffer from this. There goes all your money you dumb fucks!

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

WFT, is it just me or has the rumor mill never been as bloody useless as it has been the last couple years? Seriously between all the Bluebox mystery game crap, Silent Hill crap and Kojima’s vapid horror game plans crap, Bluepoint Bloodborne sequel crap, and this crap, why should we even care about any of it anymore.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Context: buncha petulant 'fans' don't like the art style of the new Monkey Island, bitched loudly about it.
I never thought the MI fandom of all things would be shitty in this way. I mean, the games aren't the kind to rile of big fandom vibes(or at least I didn't think so before now) so I'm kinda taken aback by this.

And I'm probably a bit miffed as well because I'm part of that fandom and I hate that people are pulling this shit over something so petty. We're finally getting a new MI game, one most of us thought would never happen, and this is how we're acting? WTF is wrong with you?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never thought the MI fandom of all things would be shitty in this way. I mean, the games aren't the kind to rile of big fandom vibes(or at least I didn't think so before now) so I'm kinda taken aback by this.

And I'm probably a bit miffed as well because I'm part of that fandom and I hate that people are pulling this shit over something so petty. We're finally getting a new MI game, one most of us thought would never happen, and this is how we're acting? WTF is wrong with you?
There's always going to be some ungrateful part of the fandom, or portions that are jackasses. When Streets of Rage 4 was first announced, they were people already complaining about the art style, despite not even giving it a chance yet. There was no harassment, but there are still those that are upset that it should have been pixels. I'm glad the developers went with the comic book art style the series was always intended for.

Some Street Fighter 6 fans are already complaining about the new look and music in the game, even though these same fans were complaining about Street Fighter 5 being too similar to Street Fighter 4. Make up your damn mind! You can't say you want things to be different, only for them to be the same to your specific needs again. Capcom likes doing different things; let them. Even they're sick and tired of their own nostalgia. You want the iconic looking themes, start playing those old games all over again it don't even bother with the sixth mainline game. This is nothing surprising, as the SF fandom has always had this problem since Street Fighter 3 first arrived. It ain't just the hardcore, it was also the casuals that had this problem too. Japan was definitely not immune to this either.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
There's always going to be some ungrateful part of the fandom, or portions that are jackasses that one the entire universe. When Streets of Rage 4 was first announced, they were people already complaining about the art style despite not even giving it a chance yet. There was no harassment, but there are still those that are upset that it should have been pixels. I'm glad the developers went with the comic book arr style the series always intended.
I think there are a lot of developers and people online in general that often claim that critique and comments are the same as harassment. Saying that your game sucks is not harassment. And a lot of developers can't handle that, so they claim they are being harassed or whatever.

Real harassment does happen, sure. And the people that do it are simply unhinged individuals who live on the internet and don't know how to interact with real people. But I'm willing to bet that most people who claim harassment are just upset that their project got a negative comment or something like that.

That being said, there are also people who simply comment in bad ways. Calling a game shit, might be fun, but it's not really productive in terms of developer feedback for improvement. If you make a game and someone says it's shit, you don't really have anything to go off to make the game not shit. Like Yathzee, you have to explain why the shit is shit and how that shit smells, otherwise there is no jumping off point for application of that critique.

I think people on both sides, devs and "fans", need to take lessons in dealing with comments. The Devs need to learn to let things roll off their back, and the players need to formulate their ideas better. Of course neither of those things is ever going to happen. So......

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think there are a lot of developers and people online in general that often claim that critique and comments are the same as harassment. Saying that your game sucks is not harassment. And a lot of developers can't handle that, so they claim they are being harassed or whatever.

Real harassment does happen, sure. And the people that do it are simply unhinged individuals who live on the internet and don't know how to interact with real people. But I'm willing to bet that most people who claim harassment are just upset that their project got a negative comment or something like that.

That being said, there are also people who simply comment in bad ways. Calling a game shit, might be fun, but it's not really productive in terms of developer feedback for improvement. If you make a game and someone says it's shit, you don't really have anything to go off to make the game not shit. Like Yathzee, you have to explain why the shit is shit and how that shit smells, otherwise there is no jumping off point for application of that critique.

I think people on both sides, devs and "fans", need to take lessons in dealing with comments. The Devs need to learn to let things roll off their back, and the players need to formulate their ideas better. Of course neither of those things is ever going to happen. So......
Definitely true. Look, I don't know everything about the creator of Monkey Island, but if these comments are as bad as I think they are, then we have some ungrateful bastards on our hands. While the creator should ignore them, I don't blame him from closing off the comments. These people haven't had a game in decades and this is how they react? They honestly don't deserve a game, if that's how they're going to be. I've already seen the trailer, and while it's not my preferred art style, I don't mind it. Then again, I'm not a hardcore fan of the series. So my opinion is worth something, just not to people like them.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
These people haven't had a game in decades and this is how they react?
I mean imagine the shitstorm if Metroid Dread was bad. Just becuase you haven't gotten a game in a while doesn't mean you can't hold the game up to a certain standard.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean imagine the shitstorm if Metroid Dread was bad. Just becuase you haven't gotten a game in a while doesn't mean you can't hold the game up to a certain standard.
There's a difference between having standards, and being an ungrateful shit heel. Right now, I'm seeing nothing but ungrateful shit heels.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

The internet has been a prime breeding ground for such toxic social/critical commentary because it enables people to say the shit they know they either couldn’t get away with or wouldn’t have the nuts to say to peoples’ faces. It’s like Mike Tyson said something to that effect of they know they won’t get punched in their damn faces hiding behind a screen. If more people were held accountable for their own bullshit spewing then they’d clean up their act pretty quickly and learn to do it correctly.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Dont' pre-order, but the crisis core remaster is available for sale now. And it's only a $50 release which I didn't expect. I honestly expected them to charge $70 for it because it's not a small game. But hey I'll take it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Of course, the irony here is that the game isn't even out yet. Some people just really don't like the art style and decided it's okay to shit on the devs because of that.

Don't get me wrong, there are MI games that aren't particularly good and we don't speak of them. When this one comes out, I'll likely grab it but will be sure to give it whatever praise and criticism it's due. But I'm also not gonna go tell the devs to kill themselves if I don't like it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Amidst toxic people, we also have weirdos like this.
I'm sure the only date they'll get is a court date because it's sexual harassment.
I mean....at least it's not death threats. Im pretty sure you can't die from a dick pic. Also developers should have closed DM's, i mean how is that not industry standard at this point?

Reactions: Dalisclock