Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yes, all the jokes aside I'm kinda excited for this expansion. Because now we can see how soldiers are treated, and other dark shit that exists in universes like this
I’ve had the privilege of being involved in a campaign for the 2020 tabletop. Believe me, this shit can get DARK if they have the desire to.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I would say it is currently in a state of perfectly acceptable, or “Should have launched like this”. So if you can get it for say, $20, you probably won’t be too unhappy.
Nice. I think I'll give it till next year, when it will hopefully be Witcher 3 levels of fixed.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
So...not that I couldn't just check nexus, but is the rebalance mod working again?
The big 1.5 update broke it, I tried without and immediately lolnoped out of there and last time I checked a month or 2 ago it still wasn't done.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I’ve had the privilege of being involved in a campaign for the 2020 tabletop. Believe me, this shit can get DARK if they have the desire to.
CP2020 was my version of DnD when I was a kid, it was the RPG I cut my teeth on so to speak. Some of the pre written adventures could hit you right in the feels. I think the setting basically being our world with a bit of extra cool tech made it easier to do something that felt real because the "game world" was already 90% built. You could lift your own adventure ideas from pretty much anywhere, films, books, comics, the news, your own experience...

Reactions: Gordon_4

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Nice timing.
Imagine if people flocking to it thanks to the anime encountered the shitshow that it was few patches ago.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Nice timing.
Imagine if people flocking to it thanks to the anime encountered the shitshow that it was few patches ago.
Considering the anime was announced years ago, before the game even came out, I would not be surprised if this wasn't a coincidence.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Considering the anime was announced years ago, before the game even came out, I would not be surprised if this wasn't a coincidence.
I was thinking more about the dev team finally delivering a playable product, but i wouldn't put holding the show in a freezer behind CDPR. Though that'd also have to depend on Netflix.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Was curious after watching the anime (its good by the way) so I went back to the game and its still crap. There is just no substance to any of it. Enemies offer no challenge. There are fun videos of people doing crazy clears(most feel quite rehearsed) but they just highlight how helpless enemies are against your cyber mods, there is no danger after a certain point. Hell you can kill entire platoons by looking at people with the right hacking set up(pretty easy to do). You can also get the same results just playing normally, all the fantastical kills and weird abilities are mostly just ascetics and aren't solutions to potential obstacles. There is a potential Hotline Miami like game where you clear out enemies for style point using the game's systems but that wont happen.

What blows my mind is that there is a legion of fanboys still singing this game's praises. Nothing wrong with liking the game, there are things to like, but holding it up like a masterpiece is just...wow. Its a sub-par shooter with a decent story and a dead open world bolted on. Is it just the visuals, is it casuals? Hope the DLC is good and sells well because the anime proves this setting isn't worth throwing away because of a fumbled first game.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Was curious after watching the anime (its good by the way) so I went back to the game and its still crap. There is just no substance to any of it. Enemies offer no challenge. There are fun videos of people doing crazy clears(most feel quite rehearsed) but they just highlight how helpless enemies are against your cyber mods, there is no danger after a certain point. Hell you can kill entire platoons by looking at people with the right hacking set up(pretty easy to do). You can also get the same results just playing normally, all the fantastical kills and weird abilities are mostly just ascetics and aren't solutions to potential obstacles. There is a potential Hotline Miami like game where you clear out enemies for style point using the game's systems but that wont happen.

What blows my mind is that there is a legion of fanboys still singing this game's praises. Nothing wrong with liking the game, there are things to like, but holding it up like a masterpiece is just...wow. Its a sub-par shooter with a decent story and a dead open world bolted on. Is it just the visuals, is it casuals? Hope the DLC is good and sells well because the anime proves this setting isn't worth throwing away because of a fumbled first game.
This game has amazing well realized aesthetics and a fantastic game world with really fun world-building. All of the things that they actually spent 5 years making (the art, the map) are fantastic.

All of the ways that you interact with the game, the mechanics, the AI, the game-feel is all absolutely crap. NPC AI is non-existent, the abilities are completely unbalanced. A lot of the abilities don't even do what they claim to do. The driving mechanics are some of the worst I've ever seen. All of the actual gameplay was very obviously slapped together as fast as possible when they realized they had to put out a product.

The main story is also only like 5 hours long, and a bunch of the side-quests also feel incomplete. If you did what the game explicitly tells you to do, rush the main story because V is supposedly dying and on a time limit, then you would only play like 6 missions and end the game at like level 5.

Nothing was thought through except for the art design and it clearly shows, and it's also not fixable with just a few patches. This game will never be the game that was promised. It will never be more than a skeleton. The bones of a great game are there but there's no actual substance to it and bones are all we will ever get.

I still somehow spent 80 hours playing the game and finished every side-quest (or at least every side-quest that didn't bug out on me). I wanted to keep existing in this excellently realized world, even if the mechanics were obviously terrible.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
This game has amazing well realized aesthetics and a fantastic game world with really fun world-building. All of the things that they actually spent 5 years making (the art, the map) are fantastic.

All of the ways that you interact with the game, the mechanics, the AI, the game-feel is all absolutely crap. NPC AI is non-existent, the abilities are completely unbalanced. A lot of the abilities don't even do what they claim to do. The driving mechanics are some of the worst I've ever seen. All of the actual gameplay was very obviously slapped together as fast as possible when they realized they had to put out a product.

The main story is also only like 5 hours long, and a bunch of the side-quests also feel incomplete. If you did what the game explicitly tells you to do, rush the main story because V is supposedly dying and on a time limit, then you would only play like 6 missions and end the game at like level 5.

Nothing was thought through except for the art design and it clearly shows, and it's also not fixable with just a few patches. This game will never be the game that was promised. It will never be more than a skeleton. The bones of a great game are there but there's no actual substance to it and bones are all we will ever get.

I still somehow spent 80 hours playing the game and finished every side-quest (or at least every side-quest that didn't bug out on me). I wanted to keep existing in this excellently realized world, even if the mechanics were obviously terrible.
That's pretty much my experience. I'd love if they took another shoot at the game with massive expansion that improved on the city and tightened up the gameplay (in its defense, its a million time better than TW3 gameplay). Don't change the location and do a different story so it can be made longer, and maybe integrate the side quest better in the main quest (similar to a GTA experience) and you could have an incredibly solid game for probably not that much more expense.

Still overall its a good game, while the mechanic aren't very tight you can keep it interesting by varying your approach (stealth some section, hack other, gun some, etc.) and I really enjoyed walking around the city and looking for hidden stuff all over the map. An higher difficulty setting would help (in the best world they'd overhaul the AI).