Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
My disappointment with the game that I’ve otherwise had 4 playthroughs of, is you can’t really do some of the roles the tabletop is famous for.

V is basically always a Solo with a high dose of tech skills. There’s no way to be a Rockerboy, a Fixer, a Media Hound, a Techie, a Med Tech or a proper Netrunner, Nomad or Corpo. And I know that’s sort of the rub with these games based on tabletop RPGs is that they’re never as deep or varied as their pen and paper sires but, I dunno maybe we should have been able to keep Jackie and T-Bug (and later Goro) as our party. Or Judy, Panam, Kerry and River should have all been recruitable squaddies along with Goro and we do missions as a team ala Mass Effect or Rainbow Six.

But in the end it is what it is, they over promised and under delivered. Fortunately it’s a game and not my house so my disappointment is appropriately sized.

Zykon TheLich

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
My disappointment with the game that I’ve otherwise had 4 playthroughs of, is you can’t really do some of the roles the tabletop is famous for.

V is basically always a Solo with a high dose of tech skills. There’s no way to be a Rockerboy, a Fixer, a Media Hound, a Techie, a Med Tech or a proper Netrunner, Nomad or Corpo. And I know that’s sort of the rub with these games based on tabletop RPGs is that they’re never as deep or varied as their pen and paper sires but, I dunno maybe we should have been able to keep Jackie and T-Bug (and later Goro) as our party. Or Judy, Panam, Kerry and River should have all been recruitable squaddies along with Goro and we do missions as a team ala Mass Effect or Rainbow Six.

But in the end it is what it is, they over promised and under delivered. Fortunately it’s a game and not my house so my disappointment is appropriately sized.
Fallout CP2020 edition would have been my preference. They even look very mechanically similar on the surface. In fact I think it was a guy on the old Views from the Edge forum that first introduced me to the modern fallout games.