General Gaming News.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yeah, the hate for Bloober seems extremely disproportionate to any possible issues they actually have. I haven't played The Medium but I watched someone play it and I saw nothing to justify the severity of the reaction from so many people either. Maybe it wasn't what a lot of people wanted but that's no reason to look for any possible fault, true or imagined, in the game they can.
I haven't played The Medium either, but I have played a number of their other games, and while these have a flair for visual fidelity, as horror they are just so unremarkable. Trite. Predictable. Almost rapid-fire throwing every horror cliche at you in hopes something will stick, which makes them very unsatisfyingly unscary games. Where any sense of dread does not come from carefully built-up tension, but from seeing an ajar door in the distance and knowing there will be a jump scare the moment you walk through it. in fact, in some of their early games I actually developed a habit of running towards any monsters, because getting caught would usually trigger a consequence free scripted sequence, and beelining would just get it over with faster.

I have also played Silent Hill 2, and while I don't the huge boner for it that some do, I know its horror is very, very different from anything Bloober has done, so I understand why fans of the former are wary.

Or if you like movie analogies, Silent Hill 2 is David Lynch. Bloober Team is James Wan. Both have their audiences, but would probably do poorly catering to the other's.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
If silent hill 2 is just gonna be a shot-for-shot remake, then I don't see how bloober team can fuck this one up tbh. They have the other veterans of the series looking over them, along with sorting the audio out (which IMO should be the priority of any atmospheric horror entertainment). So all bloober gotta do is the nuts and bolts, no creativity/creative input required. The blueprint is right there set in stone. Even their history of VA selection has been of that off-kilter, cheesy variety the Japanese love to localise with.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I haven't played The Medium either, but I have played a number of their other games, and while these have a flair for visual fidelity, as horror they are just so unremarkable. Trite. Predictable. Almost rapid-fire throwing every horror cliche at you in hopes something will stick, which makes them very unsatisfyingly unscary games. Where any sense of dread does not come from carefully built-up tension, but from seeing an ajar door in the distance and knowing there will be a jump scare the moment you walk through it. in fact, in some of their early games I actually developed a habit of running towards any monsters, because getting caught would usually trigger a consequence free scripted sequence, and beelining would just get it over with faster.

I have also played Silent Hill 2, and while I don't the huge boner for it that some do, I know its horror is very, very different from anything Bloober has done, so I understand why fans of the former are wary.

Or if you like movie analogies, Silent Hill 2 is David Lynch. Bloober Team is James Wan. Both have their audiences, but would probably do poorly catering to the other's.
I agree. I have no faith in Bloober Team tbh. They are just a middling developer with too much budget and not enough talent imo. Their games look pretty good, The Medium looks great, but they don't play well and are usually not very interesting. So maybe cut the graphics budget for better writers or game designers.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If silent hill 2 is just gonna be a shot-for-shot remake, then I don't see how bloober team can fuck this one up tbh. They have the other veterans of the series looking over them, and sorting the audio out (which IMO should be the priority of any atmospheric horror entertainment). So all bloober gotta do is the nuts and bolts, no creativity/creative input required.
I said the same thing about the KOTOR remake when I heard development was in turmoil. How does that happen when the writing, art design, level design, gameplay design, and progression systems are already done for you? Just make that shit pretty, what's the problem?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If silent hill 2 is just gonna be a shot-for-shot remake, then I don't see how bloober team can fuck this one up tbh. They have the other veterans of the series looking over them, along with sorting the audio out (which IMO should be the priority of any atmospheric horror entertainment). So all bloober gotta do is the nuts and bolts, no creativity/creative input required. Even their history of VA selection has been of that off-kilter, cheesy variety the Japanese love to localise with.
Speaking as someone who has long forgone any real attachment to the actual good entries in this franchise, just the voice change for Mary/Maria alone is honestly a pretty big fuck up. Which I understand is probably impossible, to get the original voice cast together for this, but again that's why remaking this game was never a good idea.

Reactions: Majestic_Manatee

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I said the same thing about the KOTOR remake when I heard development was in turmoil. How does that happen when the writing, art design, level design, gameplay design, and progression systems are already done for you? Just make that shit pretty, what's the problem?
Yeah, that's the weird thing about older games getting remakes/remasters. Hypothetically you're just taking the base game and recreating it in a new engine with some different gameplay. KOTOR wasn't amazing in the gameplay department and feels dated now so that should be the big thing that needs to be fixed in the remake but everything else shouldn't be particularly difficult to translate.

Silent Hill I've never actually played so I can't comment directly about but I imagine the gameplay can't be that difficult to recreate or even improve on. As long as they don't remove the fog this time, which apparently the first remasters fucked up.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Sounds like you're just hiding whoever they can get off the street at this point, and those not lacking skill or much talent.
First off. I'm not hiding anyone.

If you meant hiring, then I agree. This is why I'm very much against diversity quota's in the workplace. Because you end up hiring people for their race, gender, or sexual preference over qualifications. Equality in the workplace is a waste of time, hire the best people for the job no matter who they are.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
That's my point; he's been bled so ridiculously dry within gaming, that eventhough he finally has a legitimate reason to show up again in a title I can't muster anything but a chagrined sigh. And I can't imagine many people getting pumped by his apearance at the end of the trailer there, seeing as he's been pimped out rigerously by Konami since that first Silent Hill movie. Dude's probably been in freaking soda commercials for all I know.
Wasn't the whole point of most of the shit in SH2 being that it reflected some part of James mental and emotional state? So Pyramid head makes sense in SH2 but they kept bringing him back afterwards because everyone apparently liked him so much or something?

I'm not super familiar with the series so I could be wrong here.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
First off. I'm not hiding anyone.

If you meant hiring, then I agree. This is why I'm very much against diversity quota's in the workplace. Because you end up hiring people for their race, gender, or sexual preference over qualifications. Equality in the workplace is a waste of time, hire the best people for the job no matter who they are.
Google speak messed up again. I already fixed it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So Pyramid head makes sense in SH2 but they kept bringing him back afterwards because everyone apparently liked him so much or something?

You are correct. Pyramid Head is tied to James and only him. The only reason why they kept bringing him back, or knock offs of him, cuz he was so popular and ICONIC.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Equality in the workplace is a waste of time, hire the best people for the job no matter who they are.
No it's not. It's only a waste of time when you do it for the wrong and shallow reasons. If they hired all straight white guys and gals, I have a feeling they would still screw up. Being diverse got nothing to do with it we already had this discussion before. There are talented people of different races and cultures. We've seen this in the gaming news and press. People of different race, color, gender, and religion becoming game designers or going to game design school. Not just here, but in a lot of places you wouldn't expect.

KOTOR's problem is nothing more than bad mismanagement from those at the upper levels or at the top pole, and the industry's usual problem as a whole. We've seen this again and again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Being diverse got nothing to do with it we already had this discussion before.
There is a difference between being diverse and having diverse quota's in which X% of the employees need to check specific boxes. That's where the problem is. Hiring the best people for the job doesn't mean they'd all be straight white dudes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's where the problem is. Hiring the best people for the job doesn't mean they'd all be straight white dudes.
Yet as we've seen in AAA industry, there are plenty who only want straight white dudes or will bother to treat them properly and with respect. And it's not just a gaming industry either.

There is a difference between being diverse and having diverse quota's in which X% of the employees need to check specific boxes.
Yes, that's all well and good, but that still doesn't point out the overall issue. Some companies do, some don't. The problem still lies with people at the top who love smelling their own farts and cocaine while laughing it up, like nothing is wrong. I'm not doing this back and forth with you on the subject again. I made my statement clear the first time around.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wasn't the whole point of most of the shit in SH2 being that it reflected some part of James mental and emotional state? So Pyramid head makes sense in SH2 but they kept bringing him back afterwards because everyone apparently liked him so much or something?

Pretty much.

Also, making him all ripped and sexy. Another result of fans liking him too much. Like, what the fuck was up with that?!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Pretty much.

Also, making him all ripped and sexy. Another result of fans liking him too much. Like, what the fuck was up with that?!
If I remember correctly, and either the original versions or later versions of SH2, there's an unlockable 3D art work of James with his coat and shirt off that shows some muscle. He's not super decked out, but it is clear that he was keeping himself fit. Even if it was just a little bit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wait, WHAT? Sexy Pyramid head?
Oh, he was talking about Pyramid Head. Sexy Pyramid Head is nothing new. That's been going on since like 2003 or 2004. I suggest you start looking at all those old DeviantArt accounts and fan art from the mid-2000s.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wait, WHAT? Sexy Pyramid head?
Yeah, he's shirtless with a long skirt and totally shredded. It's weird.
a97daae559b4f1f5355bb88c6cc30d31.jpg

Also a LOT of fan fiction about the dude. :cautious:

If I remember correctly, and either the original versions or later versions of SH2, there's an unlockable 3D art work of James with his coat and shirt off that shows some muscle. He's not super decked out, but it is clear that he was keeping himself fit. Even if it was just a little bit.
Nah, that's from the Dog Ending.