Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I skipped Christmas because I'm a piece of shit.

I don't think this is the time or place to lay down on a couch and spell out all my issues in depth, suffice to say I'm deeply depressed and told my parents I won't be coming home for Christmas this year. My excuse, superficially is that I'm exhausted from work, my cat is sick and there's a blizzard coming in. Some of that may be true, but ultimately I'm just so fucking empty and sad that I just want to drink and do nothing for a while. Being off work until 1/2/2023 seems like a perfect time to just climb into a deprivation chamber of vodka and tv shows until I get through whatever is wrong with me.

I don't like people or social interaction, at least not in person. I can chat with you all night on discord or vent or yahoo chatrooms because I'm that years old, but there's something about the anxiety of dealing with people, looking people in the eyes and pretending normal facial expressions I struggle so hard with. Combine that with talking to family and friends I share nothing in common with and I'm like homer at the plant when alarms go off

homer-simpson-nuclear-meltdown-stopped-by-fluke.gif

I've spent the last 5 hours today writing guides for how NETCONF works for two specific interfaces and I was goddamn happy, just typing away and doing screenshots. I got up from my chair because my butt and back was starting to hurt, only to make a white russian and sit right back down and start typing here. Fuck I love typing more than I like talking to people. How messed up is that?

Idk, no one wants the entire history of why I'm like this. yadda yadda, disability, rejection, suicide, abuse, EMOTIONAL DAAAMAGE, this is the sound of a humming bird bitching outloud.

Heres hoping for 2023
ShorttermGlumBluemorphobutterfly-size_restricted.gif

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I skipped Christmas because I'm a piece of shit.

I don't think this is the time or place to lay down on a couch and spell out all my issues in depth, suffice to say I'm deeply depressed and told my parents I won't be coming home for Christmas this year. My excuse, superficially is that I'm exhausted from work, my cat is sick and there's a blizzard coming in. Some of that may be true, but ultimately I'm just so fucking empty and sad that I just want to drink and do nothing for a while. Being off work until 1/2/2023 seems like a perfect time to just climb into a deprivation chamber of vodka and tv shows until I get through whatever is wrong with me.

I don't like people or social interaction, at least not in person. I can chat with you all night on discord or vent or yahoo chatrooms because I'm that years old, but there's something about the anxiety of dealing with people, looking people in the eyes and pretending normal facial expressions I struggle so hard with. Combine that with talking to family and friends I share nothing in common with and I'm like homer at the plant when alarms go off

View attachment 7592

I've spent the last 5 hours today writing guides for how NETCONF works for two specific interfaces and I was goddamn happy, just typing away and doing screenshots. I got up from my chair because my butt and back was starting to hurt, only to make a white russian and sit right back down and start typing here. Fuck I love typing more than I like talking to people. How messed up is that?

Idk, no one wants the entire history of why I'm like this. yadda yadda, disability, rejection, suicide, abuse, EMOTIONAL DAAAMAGE, this is the sound of a humming bird bitching outloud.

Heres hoping for 2023
View attachment 7593
If it's any consolation, you're not alone in those thoughts. And if you wanna vent about anything, the anonymity of a forum is as gd a place as any, and I ain't gonna be offended by reading it. Though am not in any position to give advice, sat here in clumsily self-medicated despair.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
My drink bottle is exactly the right height when in my car cupholder to hit my funny bone when I change gear.
Ah, understood. Yeah; change your cup or maybe try an elbow pad if you wanna go the dramatic route.
Just go full Bean;
mr-bean.gif

Now, actually getting your drink will probably be a bit harder, but think how good you will feel from atop your comfy chair.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I finally set up my new router today, which was an overall painless process, except for the fact that I had to then manually re-add every smart plug in my house to my new network.

One of the plugs is completely inaccessible behind a bookcase, so I then had to take all the books out of the bookcase and move it...except it's attached to another bookcase so I could only move it a few inches away from the wall as I'm unable to move 2 bookcases by myself. So I spent about 10 minutes struggling to squeeze into the space I had created and blindly fumbling trying to grope at the smart plug to hit the button to enter pairing mode. It was awful and I look forward to having to do it again in 5 years when I decide that I need to upgrade my router again, after having forgotten what a massive pain in the ass this was.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
The Indian couple that run the general store in my town have certainly embraced the Australian way of life and taken an extra day off for their christmas break... which, you know, good on them and all that but I need to buy some things and don't feel like driving a 100km+ round trip in 33C heat that'll be 40C by lunch time to go into the town with a supermarket. Fuck it, I'll do without for a day but I'm not thrilled about it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Our pool has been leaking somewhere for months; we've had to add water almost daily to it to keep the water level above the point where the pool pump sucks air and overworks itself. The pool tech is FINALLY here right now after we scheduled a couple months ago. If we come out of this under $1,000, I'll be shocked; if we're in the multiple thou$and$, it'll be right where I've suspected because NO home repair is as easy as "oh, just replace a gasket."

Fuck home ownership; say what you want about renting, but "equity" isn't worth the headaches when you could easily hand the heavy lifting off to a landlord. My ideal? Rent throughout my adulthood, then die peacefully in my 50s from a hear attack during an orgy with the San Francisco 49ers cheerleaders as God intended.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Our pool has been leaking somewhere for months; we've had to add water almost daily to it to keep the water level above the point where the pool pump sucks air and overworks itself. The pool tech is FINALLY here right now after we scheduled a couple months ago. If we come out of this under $1,000, I'll be shocked; if we're in the multiple thou$and$, it'll be right where I've suspected because NO home repair is as easy as "oh, just replace a gasket."

Fuck home ownership; say what you want about renting, but "equity" isn't worth the headaches when you could easily hand the heavy lifting off to a landlord. My ideal? Rent throughout my adulthood, then die peacefully in my 50s from a hear attack during an orgy with the San Francisco 49ers cheerleaders as God intended.
While home ownership can be onerous, having a pool is essentially like having a pit into which you throw money. Like a pool is a house buying deal breaker for me if and when I finally win that lotto jackpot and buy a new house.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
While home ownership can be onerous, having a pool is essentially like having a pit into which you throw money.
Would it be cheaper to take that literally, empty the pool and fill it with money?

Like a pool is a house buying deal breaker for me if and when I finally win that lotto jackpot and buy a new house.
Before the real estate market in Oz went completely non-linear houses with pools were dreaded by most real estate agents because then they had to find someone who actually wants all the fucking around that a pool involves and will therefore be willing to pony up more rather than someone who considers them a millstone and will see it as a reason to lower their offer.

Unless you really want a pool and maintenance and running costs aren't an issue for you, the best investment you can make for a place with a pool is a $100 water pump, 2 lengths of flexible piping and a few tons of dirt.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Unless you really want a pool and maintenance and running costs aren't an issue for you, the best investment you can make for a place with a pool is a $100 water pump, 2 lengths of flexible piping and a few tons of dirt.
If your hose is long enough, and you can fill it with water, seal one end, keep the other end in the pool and put the sealed end outside it somewhere at a lower level and unseal it, you don't even need a pump, that's how my dad emptied our pool way back when. Though, it was a free standing pool, which helps, but if you've got a slope in your favour the process would still work.

But yeah, nowdays, air conditioning is what people want, not pools.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I would like to reiterate my undying hated of caravan owners who cheap on the car they use to tow it.. or just muddle along at 80kph because they're fuckheads. Whichever reason, I hate you all and come the Revolution you're going to make a brief acquaintance with a wall.

Reactions: Gordon_4

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

Wouldn't turning off the pump and letting the pool just drain have been a better option?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Wouldn't turning off the pump and letting the pool just drain have been a better option?
Prolonging an inevitable repair (which would only have gotten worse with time) wouldn't have been a better option, no.

That said, we got it done for exactly $1,000. As promised, I am shocked.

Reactions: BrawlMan

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Prolonging an inevitable repair (which would only have gotten worse with time) wouldn't have been a better option, no.

That said, we got it done for exactly $1,000. As promised, I am shocked.
I meant as opposed to constantly topping off the swimming pool with new water which would then just leak away anyway.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I meant as opposed to constantly topping off the swimming pool with new water which would then just leak away anyway.
Ah, still no. If you allow a pool to fester uncirculated, the water can turn green with algae which presents another upkeep issue atop the leak which wasn't going to fix itself. We got it fixed for a flat $1,000; had we waited much longer or simply turned the pump off and let it leak, we could have easily tripled that price, or most likely, much worse than that.

We live in Texas, and unlike many places, pools are not uncommon here given the summers that give us days upon weeks of some extreme heat, so pool companies aren't hard to come by, but in the winters, a lot of people let pool maintenance go by the wayside which means problems like leaks and algae find the business spiking at the most inopportune time, i.e.: if you have any issue that requires a tech to get IN the pool, they can refuse the job or put you off until more clement weather which means your initial problem can get worse and more costly. We were "lucky" the leak was at the pool jet and beyond the concrete surrounding the pool, so the one guy was able to dig it out and replace it during a single visit; my fear was it was going to be under the concrete or further along the line requiring extensive digging in the yard, or worse, digging into city property. $1,000 was lucky. Since yesterday, I've been watching our water level like...

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I had thought that here, in the Year of our Lord Current Year, we had finally rectified one of the most vexing and persistent problems in human history: The mismatch between the number of hot dogs in a pack, and the number of hot dog buns in a pack. Eight hot dogs, eight buns, the world rejoices in harmony.

But lo! That paragon of American gluttony, Oscar Meyer, has decided to throw all propriety to the winds, and sells hot dogs in packs of ten. TEN! Requiring the purchase of four packs of hot dogs, and five packs of buns, in order to achieve numerical felicity- elsewise leaving the hapless purchaser with leftover hot dogs to be eaten while enclosed in regular slices of sandwich bread, as if we were beasts in the fields bereft of civilization.

Our damnation has a first name- it's O-S-C-A-R!