Final Fantasy 16

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia

I guess this looks nice though there's the whole "Contents shown on the screen are from a special version made for media to experience, and contents may differ from the final version."

Feels so Devil May Cry. You even have a gun to just pelt the enemy with!

I have to wonder just what crack they are smoking to be bringing QTEs into this. Ain't this shit extinct already? The Eikon vs Eikon battle looks badass on first glance, but then I realize the controls for it look super simple and it's probably a bit like the wyvern riding from Monster Hunter Sunbreak. Also 3/4s of the damage seem to come from QTEs and cutscenes so I have to wonder what's the point.

Also the way the attack types flash on screen, and the QTEs being called CINEMATIC STRIKE and CINEMATIC CLASH.... ugh. Games trying their best to be 'cinematic' always seem to sacrifice gameplay and I've never enjoyed that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

I guess this looks nice though there's the whole "Contents shown on the screen are from a special version made for media to experience, and contents may differ from the final version."

Feels so Devil May Cry. You even have a gun to just pelt the enemy with!

I have to wonder just what crack they are smoking to be bringing QTEs into this. Ain't this shit extinct already? The Eikon vs Eikon battle looks badass on first glance, but then I realize the controls for it look super simple and it's probably a bit like the wyvern riding from Monster Hunter Sunbreak. Also 3/4s of the damage seem to come from QTEs and cutscenes so I have to wonder what's the point.

Also the way the attack types flash on screen, and the QTEs being called CINEMATIC STRIKE and CINEMATIC CLASH.... ugh. Games trying their best to be 'cinematic' always seem to sacrifice gameplay and I've never enjoyed that.
This basically sums up the entire argument long running fans have about these action based titles. One advantage of the "Turn-based and ATB era" games were that you knew that the combat was going to be solid with plenty of character management to get the most out of it. But in something like FF15, there was too much flash and not enough player engagement. Hold circle, press square, whatever. FF13 same problem even though it still used ATB systems it was like an auto-battler in way so that the player could watch all the flashy shit.

That being said, with combat being designed by the DMC guy, and every person who played it first hand saying it felt good and was fun, I think the game will be okay. Something to remember is the QTE and flashy shit is often shown a lot in trailers because it looks badass and that's the cool shit they want people hyped for, despite the practically of what it might come across as.

I'm confident it'll be better than Forspoken.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
These ones I don't mind so much, because they function more like ones in Asura's Wrath than Ninja Blade. QTEs are more or less dead, aside from being used as finishers or getting out of grabs. They still pop up minorly every now and then. The giant monster fights remind me of Bayonetta 3 and some of the sections where you become giant or control a large creature in a Cyber Connect 2 game. Though these look to have more polish than many of the Bayonetta 3 monster set pieces.

I'm confident it'll be better than Forspoken.
No one was ever doubting that. FFXVI was always going to be better than Forspoken, regardless of the latter's quality.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Yeah for me the switch away from any turn-based combat just means there is a base state where as long as it basically works, I won't hate it and that makes me at least interested. The details about guns and QTEs and all that- sure I'll have my own opinions about it but only if/when I actually play it. Until then to me that just means combat is probably fine for the first 10 hours.
After that it's all about visuals, setting and story for me. If I see talk after release about how people like the characters and monsters and factions, then I'm all in.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I'm just glad they're continuing using a derivative of FF15's action RPG system. The series really should've switched over to action RPG a long time before FF15, but at least we have it now. FF15 was incredible in nearly every way even if it did peter out near the end of the game so any game that follows with it's formula is going to be excellent.

Also, ATB is turned based combat. You wait for a bar to fill based on your speed stat and once it does you can take your turn, and the same for the enemy. The only difference between ATB and "turned based" is there's an explicit bar filling up showing you when your characters turn is about to come up. Every Final Fantasy game up to 14 has been turned based.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Also, ATB is turned based combat. You wait for a bar to fill based on your speed stat and once it does you can take your turn, and the same for the enemy. The only difference between ATB and "turned based" is there's an explicit bar filling up showing you when your characters turn is about to come up. Every Final Fantasy game up to 14 has been turned based.
I always hated ATB. Just seemed like a visually confusing way to represent turns. Though I recall some games where the ATB continues to fill while you are selecting your move - which I suppose in a way adds time pressure on the player to make decisions but I just find it incredibly obnoxious when enemies can take their turn while I'm still selecting shit. Just give me a regular ass turn queue please if it's gonna be turn based.

Anyway I think with stuff like FFXII with real time moving around, it gets a bit confusing as to whether it's a true turn based system or not. It kinda is sorta, since in a way everybody is still relying on cooldowns to do stuff so in a way everybody is taking turns. But there's also some movement/positioning jank you can do that doesn't quite fall into the whole turn based framework(though most of the time you don't need to and you can just let your programmed party auto everything....).

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Anyway I think with stuff like FFXII with real time moving around, it gets a bit confusing as to whether it's a true turn based system or not. It kinda is sorta, since in a way everybody is still relying on cooldowns to do stuff so in a way everybody is taking turns. But there's also some movement/positioning jank you can do that doesn't quite fall into the whole turn based framework(though most of the time you don't need to and you can just let your programmed party auto everything....).
Speaking of this style of combat, I will never understand the fun of turn based combat systems where you're locked in an area with the enemy, you can move around, and your attacks have a range that it can hit with (be it a cone, square, circle, etc)... and yet, it allows you to move 100% freely with no limitation of movement in either that entire combat area, or a large portion of it. Like, what's the point then??? Positioning? Who cares. If you and your opponent can move infinitely anyways then you'll never be out of range and neither will they

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
...FF15 was incredible in nearly every way even if it did peter out near the end of the game so any game that follows with it's formula is going to be excellent.
You might wanna take that one over to the hot takes thread, 'cause the consensus seems to be pretty negative about that one.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
That's not true, because in ATB you literally don't have to take turns taking actions-- which is sort of the definitive part that makes something 'turn-based'. If you ain't taking turns, then it ain't turn-based.

It just shares a lot of DNA with turn-based systems, like eliminating active battlefield movement and using menus in battle. But not the actual turn-taking.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I always hated ATB. Just seemed like a visually confusing way to represent turns. Though I recall some games where the ATB continues to fill while you are selecting your move - which I suppose in a way adds time pressure on the player to make decisions but I just find it incredibly obnoxious when enemies can take their turn while I'm still selecting shit. Just give me a regular ass turn queue please if it's gonna be turn based.

Yeah, ATB is just having a bar fill up to give feedback to the player as to when a character's turn comes up. As opposed to sitting there waiting and then PLINK! suddenly it's X character's turn. ATB is still just as turned based as it is without ATB, it's just that the player can see when each turn is supposed to occur, usually just on the player's side. This is true whether it's a game that pauses while the player is doing things in menus or keeps going regardless of what the player is doing.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah, ATB is just having a bar fill up to give feedback to the player as to when a character's turn comes up. As opposed to sitting there waiting and then PLINK! suddenly it's X character's turn. ATB is still just as turned based as it is without ATB, it's just that the player can see when each turn is supposed to occur, usually just on the player's side. This is true whether it's a game that pauses while the player is doing things in menus or keeps going regardless of what the player is doing.
I think it makes more sense to describe ATB as menu based rather than turn based. All the combat is controlled through menus but happens mostly in real world time rather than abstracted turn based time (although attack animations themselves stop time, functionally making them instant). Like fully turn based games, this happens in a separated battle instance with movement suspended. FFXII is also mostly menu based but combat isn't instanced and you can freely move during it.

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I also don't have a problem with a FF16 thread that can focus specfically on the new title instead of being buried pages deep in another thread. 16 having it's own thread makes sense in that regard.
We can have new threads, it doesn't cost anything.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I think it makes more sense to describe ATB as menu based rather than turn based. All the combat is controlled through menus but happens mostly in real world time rather than abstracted turn based time (although attack animations themselves stop time, functionally making them instant). Like fully turn based games, this happens in a separated battle instance with movement suspended. FFXII is also mostly menu based but combat isn't instanced and you can freely move during it.
I have no idea what you're even talking about. By it's very nature, turned based is menu based. All turned based games use menus to choose your actions. ATB and turned based are one and the same thing.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I have no idea what you're even talking about. By it's very nature, turned based is menu based. All turned based games use menus to choose your actions. ATB and turned based are one and the same thing.
No, they're factually not. In ATB you're literally not taking turns.

If the enemy takes an action, then you spend 6-7 seconds deciding what to do, the enemy will go again before you do. They will not sit back and wait for you to act-- to take your "turn".

The ATB meter is a cool-down gauge, and crucially it doesn't depend on the actions of anyone else on the field, or whether they act at all.

In short, something cannot be called turn-based if there aren't any turns. That's the whole definition of it. ATB just shares a lot of characteristics with the most common form of turn-based combat, that's all.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
No, they're factually not. In ATB you're literally not taking turns.

If the enemy takes an action, then you spend 6-7 seconds deciding what to do, the enemy will go again before you do. They will not sit back and wait for you to act-- to take your "turn".

The ATB meter is a cool-down gauge, and crucially it doesn't depend on the actions of anyone else on the field, or whether they act at all.

In short, something cannot be called turn-based if there aren't any turns. That's the whole definition of it. ATB just shares a lot of characteristics with the most common form of turn-based combat, that's all.
ATB are turns, just because doesn't stop the enemies from taking their own turns because you're sitting in a menu doesn't make them not turns. The ATB meter is nothing more than a visible representation of when the player characters' turns will be available, nothing more nothing less.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
ATB are turns, just because doesn't stop the enemies from taking their own turns because you're sitting in a menu doesn't make them not turns.
It literally does make them not turns. That's what turns mean.

The ATB meter is nothing more than a visible representation of when the player characters' turns will be available, nothing more nothing less.
They're a visual representation of when the character's action will be available, which is not the same thing.

By that rationale, any game with cooldown times for actions is "turn based".