Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
See, I take those people as jokes, not at all representative of the real gamers. It's the same type of people a certain kind of gate was opposing, but they were pretending to be progressive then lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I understand this is off topic but holyshit there was a huge amount of resentment towards Japanese games
Yep. Max and crew were talking about this a couple days ago. This is where some of the discourse started. I really don't remember this clip, cuz I never saw that episode of X-play. But I did see the one where they would make fun of anime fans for liking Naruto or Fullmetal Alchemist at the time. There was also that episode where they said your childhood sucks and that anything Final Fantasy 7 related are all bad games. It's the 2000s where everybody was trying to be edgy and there is a right way and wrong way to do it. Too bad most people do it the wrong way that it comes off as either sexist, racist, or xenophobic.

See, I take those people as jokes, not at all representative of the real gamers. It's the same type of people a certain kind of gate was opposing, but they were pretending to be progressive then lol.
Morgan Webb I never really cared for, but Adam had some serious chops to him. Honestly, the show was at its best when it was called Extended Play. Before that point, it used to be called Game Spot TV and they were, as you guess, the TV sector of Game Spot. Back then before the name change, Adam Sessler and Kate Batello (left Extended Play in 2003. She was the second female co-host to Adam at the time) weren't afraid to get serious. Them, and by extension the writers, would crack a joke every now and then, but they wouldn't go for this dumb edgy humor or really bad humor takes that was prevalent in the mid-2000s. It wasn't until about 2008 and 2009 when they kinds stopped doing that stuff and did regular reviews for a while. It didn't last long, because the damage was already done with G4's case. We all know the rest by this point.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Devs giving PS5 exclusive credit for some of the game mechanics

Seems they're saying PS5 is the only thing powerful enough to handle their innovation of having transitions between combat and cutscenes, during the part of the game that interests me the least- the big kaiju battles.
Well I'm no electrical engineer but I doubt the Xbox Series X also couldn't handle this stuff, come on. I get they're being paid for console exclusivity but this is ridiculous.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Morgan Webb I never really cared for, but Adam had some serious chops to him. Honestly, the show was at its best when it was called Extended Play. Before that point, it used to be called Game Spot TV and they were, as you guessy, the TV sector of Game Spot. Back then before the name change, Adam Sesslerand Kate Batello (left Extended Play in 2003. She was the second female co-host to Adam at the time) weren't afraid to get serious. Them, and by extension the writers, would crack a joke every now and then, but they wouldn't go for this dumb edgy humor or really bad humor takes that were prevalent in the mid-2000s. It wasn't until about 2008 and 2009 with a kind of stop doing that stuff and did regular reviews for a while. It didn't last long, because the damage was already done with G4's case. We all know the rest by this point.
Olivia Munn was peak G4.

Seems they're saying PS5 is the only thing powerful enough to handle their innovation of having transitions between combat and cutscenes, during the part of the game that interests me the least- the big kaiju battles.
Well I'm no electrical engineer but I doubt the Xbox Series X also couldn't handle this stuff, come on. I get they're being paid for console exclusivity but this is ridiculous.
Funny you say that because didn't Microsoft buy a bunch of devs and studios to do this EXACT thing right here? And yet here were are, the PS5 is getting games and the Xbox is getting StarField delays.

Holy shit, that would be a mic drop if it wasn't so fucking sad!

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy

I remember reading that they worked with Sony on developing the game, they had sony people help them throughout the process, so it's prolly unique in how they got it to this stage. Xbox prolly wouldn't be able to achieve the same outcome in the same way.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
That's what speed chess is. If you don't act in a certain period you forfeit your turn and the opponent gets to go again. There are still express turns going on in either case.
As a former chess enthusiast who routinely played Speed Chess, that's simply not accurate.

Speed Chess is when both players only have a set amount of time to move across the entire game, as tracked by a pair of timers, such as these. Hit the lever at the top and the timer on your side stops and the timer on the other side resumes. Because total time is limited, the format heavily encourages each player to plan their move during their opponent's turn and enact it almost as soon as their timer starts again. The other player doesn't get to move if you take too long. A player is not allowed to move until their timer starts, and cannot stop their timer until they have moved their piece on the board. The game ends either when a king is taken, or a timer runs out.

That is Speed Chess. You move quickly because your clock is ticking and you lose if it reaches 0. The other player is not allowed to skip your turn, nor do you forfeit your move if you take too long.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I looked her up and now her name is coming back to me. Munn left G4 in 2010. Nice gal, and glad she's doing fine. I still prefer Batello though. Too bad not much was known about her after she left TechTV. Batello went for some other network that was not gaming or tech related, but she was doing fine last I heard...in 2003.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Time stamped into relation of FFXVI. Sterling takes about it for the rest of the video.

I got 60 seconds into the clip before Sterling says something explicitly wrong about the game. First off, Sterling and many other people who argue for accessibility in gaming, conflate difficulty with accessibility.

Difficulty and accessibility are completely different things. A difficult game doesn't prevent people from playing it. Meanwhile accessibility options like color-blind modes, remappable buttons, sound ques, these options enable people who struggle to simply play video games normally the ability to play them, it does not modify the difficulty of what the game is. Playing TLOU2 with the blind mode on, does nothing to modify the difficulty of the game, it merely allows a blind person to play as best as possible. The difficulty is still overcome by the player in whatever way they have to do that.

For FF16 the special accessories are difficultly modifiers, not accessibility options. They aren't designed for that, and aren't designed to be some part of an accessibility suite. The rings are not normal options in an accessibility menu. Easy mode in DMC doesn't auto combo for you, I've never seen any menu option for auto-potion outside of a difficulty mode or something. The problem with a lot of Sterling's argument is that you can probably list any number of options that will assist some disability somewhere, Sterling used ADHD, but I'm not really sure how that applies to only being able to button mash without thought. ADHD means you can't think of a potion or healing item when your character might need it? I guess you should put on the ring.

There is a difference between making a game easy to play, and making a game easy to overcome. That's the difference between the difficulty and accessibility argument, and there really isn't much overlap to them.

Sterling then complains that you can't use every "easy" item at once, which isn't an accessibility issue it's a difficulty one. And the complaint that you can't use other gear on the character if you are using the "easy" stuff is also pointless because if you are using the "easy" items then you don't need the normal gear the game gives you. SkillUP explained that in his preview build. The "easy" rings make the game incredibly easy to the point where you wont ever need anything else. So how can Sterling then make the argument that they want to customize the battle abilities of the character when at the same time they are arguing they don't have the ability to memorize using the abilities in the first place (ADHD)?

"The combat basics will be too much to for me to remember." Also, "I will to be able to modify and customize all my abilities that I can't remember?" How does that make sense?

There is surely and argument to be made that there should be TLOU style accessiblities in the game like color-blind modes, special UI's, etc whatever. But that's got nothing to do with dynamic difficulty options. Not to mention while you can't use all the easy rings at once, the game allows you to pick and choose so that you can modify the experience to be as easy as needed for you. So I just don't get the gripe which seems to be, "I don't get to have all the things all at once so im mad."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I got 60 seconds into the clip before Sterling says something explicitly wrong about the game. First off, Sterling and many other people who argue for accessibility in gaming, conflate difficulty with accessibility.

Difficulty and accessibility are completely different things. A difficult game doesn't prevent people from playing it. Meanwhile accessibility options like color-blind modes, remappable buttons, sound ques, these options enable people who struggle to simply play video games normally the ability to play them, it does not modify the difficulty of what the game is. Playing TLOU2 with the blind mode on, does nothing to modify the difficulty of the game, it merely allows a blind person to play as best as possible. The difficulty is still overcome by the player in whatever way they have to do that.
FFXVI aside, Sterling does point out the difference. Still doesn't change the fact you have butt-fucks complaining about accessibility options, or the items FFXVI has.

Easy mode in DMC doesn't auto combo for you, I've never seen any menu option for auto-potion outside of a difficulty mode or something.
DMC1's Easy Automatic Mode and DMC3SE's Easy Mode says hi. DMC4, 4:SE, and DMC5 & 5:SE have an Auto Combo option for any difficulty. Though it comes on by default when playing on 4's Easy Mode. The other difficulties and DMC5, you have to switch it on. Killer Is Dead's Easy Mode made the parry button the attack button, so the player could button mash their way through most of the game.

For FF16 the special accessories are difficultly modifiers, not accessibility options. They aren't designed for that, and aren't designed to be some part of an accessibility suite.
What FFXVI is doing ain't new either. Not saying your are. Oneechanbara Z2: Chaos and Origins had rings you could buy that either let you do Cool Combos easier, go berserk faster (the equivalent of Devil Trigger), a bigger dodge window, etc. In Origins, there's even a ring that allows you to have an easier parry, but you take double the damage. Z2 allows you to equip three rings to a character, while Origins only allows two rings per character. Neither game punishes the player for using these rings. Bayonetta's optional accessories did a similar thing, though each game has one accessory that does penalize the player for using it.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Neither game punishes the player for using these rings.
Well according to Sterling they ARE punishing the player because in order to use the rings it locks them out of using other rings too. Which is the fucking point of having a trade off, if you want an easier mode you can't also have these other things. There is strategy to it, thus making the player pick and choose the things that are most important to them. It's the most fundamental game design concept, player choice.

Nevertheless, Sterling's complaint about it makes no fucking sense.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well according to Sterling they ARE punishing the player because in order to use the rings it locks them out of using other rings too. Which is the fucking point of having a trade off, if you want an easier mode you can't also have these other things. There is strategy to it, thus making the player pick and choose the things that are most important to them. It's the most fundamental game design concept, player choice.

Nevertheless, Sterling's complaint about it makes no fucking sense.
I was referring to both Oneechabara games about not punishing the player for using rings. I wasn't referring to FFXVI in this case.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I was referring to both Oneechabara games about not punishing the player for using rings. I wasn't referring to FFXVI in this case.
I understood, but i don't think it's a punishment any more than picking any other piece of gear to fit into a limited slot system. All it is, is a player choice of loadout that affects how the player plays the game. It would be the same as any other combination of rings that feels OP strong in the game otherwise. It's good game design, not some accessibility problem.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I understood, but i don't think it's a punishment any more than picking any other piece of gear to fit into a limited slot system. All it is, is a player choice of loadout that affects how the player plays the game. It would be the same as any other combination of rings that feels OP strong in the game otherwise.
Agreed.

It's good game design, not some accessibility problem.
Some people don't see it that way. I am not just referring to Sterling either. There are FF fans/"HARDCORE GAMERZ TM" complaining about it, because it makes the game "too easy".

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
It's technically true that accessibility and difficulty are two different things, but it's also true that a player can easily combine and conflate them and that the line isn't that simple
For example, in the game Control which does not have difficulty options, I used accessibility options to complete the DLCs. These options amounted to basically an easy mode. So if that game allowed me to use accessibility to change difficulty, I can see how someone can take FF16's difficulty and build settings and relate them to accessibility.

The crux of the matter is that different people have a different idea of what it means to "be able to play a game." Old-school/hardcore gamers accept and embrace that not finishing a game is ok, not everyone will finish it, and that is part of the whole point. Video game's expanse into big mainstream culture means many will look at it as media, and it would silly to expect people to accept not finishing it, like a movie, so accessibility means being able to finish it, which naturally bleeds into accessibility.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It's technically true that accessibility and difficulty are two different things, but it's also true that a player can easily combine and conflate them and that the line isn't that simple
For example, in the game Control which does not have difficulty options, I used accessibility options to complete the DLCs. These options amounted to basically an easy mode. So if that game allowed me to use accessibility to change difficulty, I can see how someone can take FF16's difficulty and build settings and relate them to accessibility.
I'm playing trough chained echo atm and I was disappointed that there weren't any difficulty option cause the game is pretty easy by default, only to find out way late in the game that they actually have some but they were under accessibility in the options, disappointed....

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I gotta be honest, everything I've seen from it so far makes it look like Final Fantasy XV all over again, only with a less interesting setting. At least the combat looks pretty good. But I'm a lot more excited about the next FF7 Remake part.