General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

NFT guy is out at Square, so maybe they'll stop trying to be stupid.
Thank God! It should not have taken them that long! Now maybe they'll finally get their heads out of their asses, and just make actual games, and no "LIAV SERVACES!" either. I wish Bobby Kotick can get kicked out like that, and so fast.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must

While I'd love to share such hopes, their replacement may not be intended to change destination, merely the vehicle in which to get there with;

A statement by Square Enix on the change did not mention a specific trigger, though alluded to Square Enix's continuing fascination with blockchain games and technology.

"Under the rapid change of business environment surrounding the entertainment industry, the proposed change is intended to reshape the management team with the goal of adopting ever-evolving technological innovations and maximising on the creativity of [Square Enix]'s group in order to deliver even greater entertainment to its customers around the world," Square Enix wrote.

Matsuda had previously advocated for the company to expore the use of blockchain and NFT games - though to little obvious success, and a backlash from fans.

His likely replacement, Kiryu, previously worked for a technology company devoted to researching emerging trends such as blockchain and web3.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

This doesn't surprise me in the least. After the three-day-old toilet leavings that were sold as Babylon's Fall, what I'm going to laughingly call the "Avengers" game and selling off all their foreign-originated titles for half a song, he was due for the axe. Hopefully this Kiryu fellow can take the helm and right the ship.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This doesn't surprise me in the least. After the three-day-old toilet leavings that were sold as Babylon's Fall, what I'm going to laughingly call the "Avengers" game and selling off all their foreign-originated titles for half a song, he was due for the axe. Hopefully this Kiryu fellow can take the helm and right the ship.
Id feel better if they just gave Yoshi-P the role. Because quite honestly they need someone at the helm that cares about making quality content.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
So Warframe's new expansion comes out in April, with a roguelike mode. And also a new intro (among other things, allowing new players to try out different stuff in the rogue like mode, which probably is a decent way to go about things rather then throwing 3 out of context starter choices at them and leaving them to befuddlingly consider buying one of the others sight unseen)

(and evolving weapons, flying horses, fishing by mind controlling robot sea serpents and other such sundy Warframe nonsense)

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I really didnt like warframe but my buddy loves it and it does seem like one of the most consistently good live service games out there.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That doesn't necessarily make him a good business leader. But he should definitely be in a high-echelon advisory role.
To be fair, I do believe they put him on the director's board from the success of FF14's rebound. So I believe he does have a bit of say as to what goes on. But it's likely just one vote over many, and might only matter within Sqaure itself and not count towards studios like Luminous (rip) and Crystal Dynamics (also rip).

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
In case you hadn't heard, there's gonna be an Olympic esports competition, featuring such beloved games/events as:

Archery (Tic Ta Bow)
Baseball (WBSC eBaseball Power Pros)
Chess (Chess.com)
Cycling (Swift)
Dance (Just Dance)
Motorsport (Gran Turismo 7)
Sailing (Virtual Regatta)
Taekwondo (Virtual Taekwondo)
Tennic (Tennis Clash)

An exciting line-up for sure. Or not, because the Olympic commitee is a bunch of old coots exuding the strongest "how do you do, fellow kids" energy.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
WTF? I would give them minor respect, if they added in DDR. Just Dance? Why? At lead DDR requires so much more physical work and energy.

Drive Club & Forza, or we riot!
It's blatantly clear the committee does not get esports at all, which is why the esports events are basically all vaguely virtual versions of already existing Olympic events i.e. something they do understand. I'm willing to bet that if DDR was under consideration, it was rejected for being too abstract.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
WTF? I would give them minor respect, if they added in DDR. Just Dance? Why? At lead DDR requires so much more physical work and energy.
These are videogames. Apart from chess (why "esport" chess by the way?), they demand none of the skills of what they simulate. Actually, each year will use different softwares, so the activity will be simulated in different ways, and there won't be even any continuity in what is evaluated from one year to the other. It's just for amusement.

Oh wait, my cap is turned the wrong way.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
In case you hadn't heard, there's gonna be an Olympic esports competition, featuring such beloved games/events as:

Archery (Tic Ta Bow)
Baseball (WBSC eBaseball Power Pros)
Chess (Chess.com)
Cycling (Swift)
Dance (Just Dance)
Motorsport (Gran Turismo 7)
Sailing (Virtual Regatta)
Taekwondo (Virtual Taekwondo)
Tennic (Tennis Clash)

An exciting line-up for sure. Or not, because the Olympic commitee is a bunch of old coots exuding the strongest "how do you do, fellow kids" energy.
The titles are bit boring for sure, but all the exciting games have their own esports events; And quite frankly, I’d rather see them stay that way. The IOC would try to censor and restrict what games can be played to try to appeal to the mass.

I mean games like Mortal Kombat and COD would be straight up rejected, Speedrunning might look boring and dare i say confusing on the glitches happening, and moba/hero-shooters would look absolutely chaotic and non-gamers wouldn’t able to follow what’s happening.

I also doubt EVO, OWL, or any similar esports organizers are interested in working to IOC to bring these games