General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Now I don't think top-down isometric action games doesn't typically require too much specs for PC, but I'm rather surprised with how low the requirements are here. I mean these specs look like they are from 10 years ago. I'm questioning the quality of visuals and graphical fidelity
The game looks great. It's not going to be FF16 levels of graphics. But the game is still very cool looking and runs like a dream. Even in early alpha it was running perfect much perfectly.

I think it helps that all the details and such are far away from the camera, meaning they look great with a lot less detail than you expect which keeps requirements down.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
The game looks great. It's not going to be FF16 levels of graphics. But the game is still very cool looking and runs like a dream. Even in early alpha it was running perfect much perfectly.

I think it helps that all the details and such are far away from the camera, meaning they look great with a lot less detail than you expect which keeps requirements down.
Hmm yeah, maybe it's because of youtube rendering it looks as not as impressive as it actually does. I don't have hands-on experience yet, so I can only wait until open beta

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I mean, what does "A lack of game developers by X date" mean?
Oh. Well, presumably, the interest organization has done a survey of expected growth in the sector, compared how many developers will be required to maintain that growth, compared that with the amount of game developer graduates they can expect to come out each year from the developer schools and concluded that they will fall 25 000 short.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
More on Diablo IV beta:

Now I don't think top-down isometric action games doesn't typically require too much specs for PC, but I'm rather surprised with how low the requirements are here. I mean these specs look like they are from 10 years ago. I'm questioning the quality of visuals and graphical fidelity
Don’t forget you can get away with lower specs if you’ve got an aesthetic that looks good but doesn’t stress the system. Diablo has probably also done that.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It’s a good strategy on BN/FROM’s part really. A simple announcement with a single image gets people intrigued, asking questions, developing theories, etc. Then release a trailer maybe a month or two from now with a release date (a safe estimate would probably be by late fall if we go by past DLC announcements>release dates and take into account this will be bigger with huge expectations).

The subreddit is already hard at work poring over every pixel of that image for lore clues.

There are probably military intelligence people who spend less time looking at photos of military installations.

And I have no doubt FROM knows this and knows the community will spend the next couple months lore crafting until they can put a trailer together.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Uh huh...

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

Uh huh...

From the first article.

"It makes you wonder if the sudden spike of unemployed games journalists might be felt more acutely by the public if there weren’t a bedrock of YouTubers sharing the same foundational bandwidth. After all, a YouTube channel is never at the mercy of mercurial ownership."

Uuuuhhhh...

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
From the first article.

"It makes you wonder if the sudden spike of unemployed games journalists might be felt more acutely by the public if there weren’t a bedrock of YouTubers sharing the same foundational bandwidth. After all, a YouTube channel is never at the mercy of mercurial ownership."

Uuuuhhhh...
Well it doesn't help that the vast majority of Youtubers reviewing or talking about games actually give a shit about what they're doing and as a result they know what the fuck they're talking about.

When game's websites hire failed MSN news journalists desperate for a writing gig, you know it isn't going to turn over well. Games news journalism is not like mainstream journalism where you are reporting on brand new events without much surrounding information or history available to you on the fly. Games Journalism requires knowledge of who's making the game, what games did this team make before, are there industry vets involved, what other games are similar to this new one, etc etc, point being there is a lot more foundational knowledge one requires to be a good journalist in gaming and really I'd argue that the only website doing a decent job at reporting on things are the people from Destructoid and Escapist by extension.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'd argue that the only website doing a decent job at reporting on things are the people from Destructoid and Escapist by extension.
Easy Allies too. They honestly try the most and succeed. With The Escapist not too far behind.

From the first article.

Uuuuhhhh...
That writer definitely don't know crap. There are plenty of YouTube critics/users that got removed either because of stupid falsely flag videos, inappropriate content, them doing something really bad or illegal off camera, and other good and not so good reasons because of the dumb fucking algorithm.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

TL;DR (or DW?)
Knife can now be used to deflect physical and incoming projectile attacks
Knife can now be used to finish off downed enemies
There will be side-quests
You can now stash your gears
Ashley can now be commanded to crawl through tight spaces or open locked doors from the other side
Stealth mechanics are added, used for sneaking pass the enemies or perform a sneak attack
Krauser Knife fight is no longer a QTE cutscene, but a fully interactive boss fight, where the player would have to utilize the knife skills mentioned above

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

TL;DR (or DW?)
Ashley can now be commanded to crawl through tight spaces or open locked doors from the other side
Stealth mechanics are added, used for sneaking pass the enemies or perform a sneak attack
Krauser Knife fight is no longer a QTE cutscene, but a fully interactive boss fight, where the player would have to utilize the knife skills mentioned above
God I hate Ashley's redesign. She looks like a single mom in her late 30's who will demand to speak to your fucking manager if you don't take her expired coupon.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

TL;DR (or DW?)
So basically what was already confirmed last month. Still good to know.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
God I hate Ashley's redesign. She looks like a single mom in her late 30's who will demand to speak to your fucking manager if you don't take her expired coupon.
Speak for yourself (I know you are). I like Ashley's redesign. I never disliked her old design either, but I don't mind the change up.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Speak for yourself (I know you are). I like Ashley's redesign. I never disliked her old design either, but I don't mind the change up.
Like I don't care if they wanted her to be a bit older or whatever, but the fucking way they did it is just...I can't take her seriously, I'm gonna let her get taken ALL the time, and I'm gonna sit there going, "That's the manager, talk to him Ashley!"

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I kinda have a problem with the new Ashley but it's not so much the design as the new graphics making her look uncannily like Heather from Silent Hill. I keep thinking, "Why is Heather in this game?"