Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Oh the street date was broken, see you when the digital ver is out thread, back in the anti-spoiler bunker I go.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I played the demo yesterday- just the story not the extra combo trial thing. And it pretty much confirmed what I got from the marketing- it’s very pretty, has a corny/dramatic/ epic premise, and servicable but not particularly good combat.

So I think this going to be just another “play a story” game like Jedi Survivor or an Assassins Creed or Uncharted etc, with the requisite Final Fantasy trappings (chocobos instead of horses and such).

Fortunately that’s exactly what I’m in the mood for. I’m on a trip and will return the day before it releases. Looking forward to spending the following weekend spamming the square button in between long cut scenes of delightfully cheesy exposition.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Played a bit of the demo, and it's giving me FF12 vibes; boring characters and political intrigue that feels like you should've read up on something before starting. The beginning (which I assume is what this demo is showing us) doesn't really feel very engaging either, just sorta dropping you into a bunch of hubbub that you can't give a shit about since you have no clue who's who or why anything is even happening.

Also, the Square faces. I mean, it was already apparent in the trailers I guess, but still... oof. This whole gritty, medieval, Game of Thrones-esque setting really loses its vibe with everyone looking like a damn mannequin with feathery hair.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Hahaha 😂!
From what I heard, the demo was making some people's ps5s overheat to the point where they displayed a message telling em that they should turn the console off. Maybe the framerate goes nanners at some point or just the boss fights are too epic.

This also means that those playing the broken street date versions may end up damaging their system or something. Makes me feel about 4% better about having to wait an extra 4 days.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I played the demo yesterday- just the story not the extra combo trial thing. And it pretty much confirmed what I got from the marketing- it’s very pretty, has a corny/dramatic/ epic premise, and servicable but not particularly good combat.

So I think this going to be just another “play a story” game like Jedi Survivor or an Assassins Creed or Uncharted etc, with the requisite Final Fantasy trappings (chocobos instead of horses and such).

Fortunately that’s exactly what I’m in the mood for. I’m on a trip and will return the day before it releases. Looking forward to spending the following weekend spamming the square button in between long cut scenes of delightfully cheesy exposition.
Combat in the story portion of the demo is simple, but it gets crazy later as seen in the option extra boss fight.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Played a bit of the demo, and it's giving me FF12 vibes; boring characters and political intrigue that feels like you should've read up on something before starting. The beginning (which I assume is what this demo is showing us) doesn't really feel very engaging either, just sorta dropping you into a bunch of hubbub that you can't give a shit about since you have no clue who's who or why anything is even happening.

Also, the Square faces. I mean, it was already apparent in the trailers I guess, but still... oof. This whole gritty, medieval, Game of Thrones-esque setting really loses its vibe with everyone looking like a damn mannequin with feathery hair.
I dunno about that. I found the characters likable/hateable from the jump tbh. 12 was a confusing mess of this kingdom, that kingdom, blah blah blah. But i didnt get that at all here because it focused on people rather than randomly named kingdoms i know nothing about.

The end of the demo brought genuine emotion out of me and felt like it'll have good promise going forward. Im just hoping that we will get the first offical Final Fantasy titty.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Wow DmC cheese is in the game designed by the DmC guy? Id say im shocked but it would be like saying a off-brand souls game will be bad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wow DmC DMC cheese is in the game designed by the DMC DmC guy? Id say im shocked but it would be like saying a off-brand souls game will be bad.
Correction. You used the wrong abbreviation. DmC is meant for the 2013 "reboot" universe that is dead. DMC is meant for the OG series that is still going on.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Really bruh?
Yeah bruh! The DMC5 combat director, Ryota Suzuki had nothing to do with DmC (2013) combat. You have to remember to use the correct abbreviations. This is why "reboots/re-imaginings" always having the same name is fucking dumb! We already talked about this with Mortal Kombat, and you see how confusing and annoying it gets.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Really bruh?
DmC is a dark past in DMC fan history, its atrocities will never be forgotten. It was during a time when practically everything capcom put out sucked too. Thankfully they pulled their head out of their ass since, so we got Monhun world and DMC5 and sf6 and dragon's dogma 2 is looking fine.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
DmC is a dark past in DMC fan history, its atrocities will never be forgotten. It was during a time when practically everything capcom put out sucked too. Thankfully they pulled their head out of their ass since, so we got Monhun world and DMC5 and sf6 and dragon's dogma 2 is looking fine.
Ironically enough, DmC (2013) was actually the least sucky Capcom game around that time frame, and has aged better in retrospect (more so with the DE version on 8th gen consoles), than most of the single player games Capcom had around 2012-2017, and aged better than a majority of Western and some Japanese single player hack n' slash titles. The story and characters are still shit, but the soundtrack (been dated since 2014) and the gameplay improvements brought in Definitive Edition, edge it out to a fun 7/10 type of game. Further irony, a lot of the fixes in the polished port are based off of fan mods and patches from the PC version. The PC crowd never got the DE, so they were out of luck, and still a dumb move on Capcom's part.

Capcom's "redemption arc" started with Mega Man 11, MHW, and RE7. Neither three games I was interested in; especially RE7, but it was a start of a nice return to form.

Those boycotting ain't accomplishing shit!

Some Final Fantasy players have revealed they plan to boycott Final Fantasy 16 due to the development team's "continuously questionable response" to the lack of diversity in the game.

Last November, producer Naoki Yoshida addressed the lack of diversity in an interview, and the response did little to assuage the concerns of Black and minority ethnic players.

Let's Play Final Fantasy 16 DEMO! Final Fantasy XVI Playstation 5 Gameplay
In direct response to this, some players are now planning to "boycott Final Fantasy 16 due to the lack of diversity and minority characters".

"So despite notable criticism and backlash online regarding the lack of diversity in the game, and square's continuously questionable response to the topic, it seems a lot of people are still planning to purchase FF16," began one poster, adding a poll to collate commenters' views.

"This feels...a little odd to me, because it would seem like the best way to send a message to Square would be to 'vote with your wallet' per say [sic], and not purchase the game given these concerns?

"Therefore [...] I was specifically wondering if anyone was going to take a stand, and not purchase or boycott FF16 due to these issues?"

"I am. It's not particularly difficult either, given just how many games there are to play. It won’t move the needle, but it’ll make me feel better about my purchases," said one commenter, whilst another added: "I'm not buying it. To be completely honest, knowing that Starfield and Dragon's Dogma are coming with black characters and black character creation make it really easy to skip FFXVI. Forspoken is mediocre, but Frey being a good character helps a bit. I'm good."

However, at the time of writing, over 1200 players have responded to the poll, but just 2.9 per cent – that's around 40 people – are intending to intentionally boycott the release, with 72.8 per cent still committed to buying it despite the issues.

24.3 per cent of those polled didn't plan on picking up Final Fantasy 16 at all.

"No. If I boycotted games due to lack of diversity in terms of characters that looked like me, I wouldn't have sh*t to play outside of a few indies at best to put it very bluntly," explained one fan. "Rep for black women in gaming is abysmal across the board, and I would say it's even worse for south asian woman, south american women, etc, etc.

"Since the very first time I started playing games before the age of five, I played games based on if they are fun or not. 30 some years later, this has not changed," added another. "Coming from a black person. If you want to boycott, go for it. I'm there day one."

Last edited:
Reactions: NerfedFalcon