Final Fantasy 16

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Man, just 10 days away. Damn game made me bite the bullet and get a ps5, better be worth it! XD

I have not seen anything since the Jrpg "slur" controversy was popping off to avoid spoilers and SF6 is holding down the fort but I really wish FF main series can shake the funk like 7R did which surpassed my expectations many times over.

XVI seems very fun to play at least, hopefully the story will work despite not having a typical party (not counting the doge, and I swear SE, if you kill off the doge and don't make him into Fenrir or some other kinda summon you will hear from me)
I know, right?
I'm not gonna play it right on release because of personal schedule and, yes, Street Fighter 6, but I'm happy to let everyone else verify the game is worth buying/playing already.
But I will be ready for a meaty single-player story come July for sure.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Man, just 10 days away. Damn game made me bite the bullet and get a ps5, better be worth it! XD

I have not seen anything since the Jrpg "slur" controversy was popping off to avoid spoilers and SF6 is holding down the fort but I really wish FF main series can shake the funk like 7R did which surpassed my expectations many times over.

XVI seems very fun to play at least, hopefully the story will work despite not having a typical party (not counting the doge, and I swear SE, if you kill off the doge and don't make him into Fenrir or some other kinda summon you will hear from me)
10 days? is it releasing on a different day from where you are? It's june 22nd still right? so 16 days.

But still the Ps5 is a great system, you wont regret the system at all I can promise you that.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
10 days? is it releasing on a different day from where you are? It's june 22nd still right? so 16 days.

But still the Ps5 is a great system, you wont regret the system at all I can promise you that.
I thought it was june 16, I may be confusing it with something else. But yeah I knew I'd get a ps5 eventually for sure.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
The psn store says it's on the 21st actually. Weird XD.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Because technically 9pm West coast time on the 21st. But realistically it's the 22nd.
Oh I see, that makes sense. Anyhow, I preordered the basic game cause that sword is cool looking, hopefully it's not broken or unbalanced so I will actually use it lol, I almost never preorder digital stuff. Not planning on using the easymode accessories it comes with though.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Apparently there is a Demo going live tonight after the launch party.
Oh man, I kinda wanna not touch it to go in the game fresh, but the temptation is real. I may settle to reading impressions here haha.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Oh man, I kinda wanna not touch it to go in the game fresh, but the temptation is real. I may settle to reading impressions here haha.
Demo confirmed, it's the first 2 hours of the game and the progress will carry into the full game. It launches at 1am PST.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I swear SE, if you kill off the doge and don't make him into Fenrir or some other kinda summon you will hear from me
If they killed the dog and then turned him into Fenrir, I think they'd be hearing from Sony's lawyers.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Alright so I played the Demo in the wee hours of the morning for about 90 minutes. 75 minutes of that was cinematics and story, so the takeaways from the demo are going to be pretty limited. However there are some things even in the opening story setup that I wanted to talk about.

The mature tone is very much on point which in combination of the setting gave me big Game of Thrones vibes. The politics involved even in the opening hours of the game are deep. But they've managed to keep the names of kingdoms and whatnot to a minimum, and instead focus on establishing people which made it easier to follow of like "okay that guy is with these people, and she is on this other side, and they are fighting over land." and it makes enough sense to not confuse you and make you not care about whatever the fuck is going on.

The other thing about the maturity is that they are real quick to kill people, slicing people and blood spraying out, rocks crush people with explosions of blood. And sexual maturity too, where a women jumps on a guy and he buries his face in her titties. The use of words like "shit" and "cock", this is an adult game for fucking sure.

As for the combat, the demo doesn't have a lot of it really. A tutorial, and an opening mission where the combat is at it's very basic. Square attacks, Triangle uses magic, holding R2 will change the face buttons for special attacks which have cooldowns to avoid spam, circle dashes forward, X jumps, and R1 dodges, and I really fucking hate R1 being dodge. I wish it could be on circle and have the dash mapped to R1 instead. That being said, the combat feels fine it's not crazy yet like shown in the demo but that's par for the course of an RPG.

I did level up and gain AP which allows you to unlock and level up your various abilities in combat which felt cool. I unlocked a charge attack where if I held square for a second it would ignite my sword so my next melee would deal a burst of fire damage. And I feel like the comboability will be heavily tied to this unlock system.

Finally the game is fucking stunning to look at, I mean really fucking nice and it runs at a smooth 60 which is wonderful. I have high hopes, and so far it looks very very good.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Alright so I played the Demo in the wee hours of the morning for about 90 minutes. 75 minutes of that was cinematics and story, so the takeaways from the demo are going to be pretty limited. However there are some things even in the opening story setup that I wanted to talk about.

The mature tone is very much on point which in combination of the setting gave me big Game of Thrones vibes.
In the games of Final Fantasy, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.

(Unless you have a Revive I guess.)

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
@BrawlMan I got something for you.

They had Max try to fight a "hard mode" boss while underleveled and Max obviously didn't pull it off. So he gave the control to the DMC guy and asked him to show us how to do it. And the DMC did not disappoint.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@BrawlMan I got something for you.

They had Max try to fight a "hard mode" boss while underleveled and Max obviously didn't pull it off. So he gave the control to the DMC guy and asked him to show us how to do it. And the DMC did not disappoint.

Didn't need the extra commentary from Asmon, but big thank you. If you or anyone else can find a clip without his commentary, I will highly appreciate it. Otherwise, sick ass clip!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Didn't need the extra commentary from Asmon, but big thank you. If you or anyone else can find a clip without his commentary, I will highly appreciate it. Otherwise, sick ass clip!
I couldn't find raw clips from the stream, but I think those will pop up once the content people get back home from the event and can piece together clips.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I've watched another playthrough of the game and I have a feeling this is going to easily be my GOTY and I don't even think it's going to be close. There is nothing (anymore) that is coming this year that looks like it can match what's on offer with this game. @BrawlMan You were right, the combat is gonna be good. And the story also seems really interesting. So unless this game shits the bed somehow, I can't think of another title in the GOTY running for me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've watched another playthrough of the game and I have a feeling this is going to easily be my GOTY and I don't even think it's going to be close. There is nothing (anymore) that is coming this year that looks like it can match what's on offer with this game. @BrawlMan You were right, the combat is gonna be good. And the story also seems really interesting. So unless this game shits the bed somehow, I can't think of another title in the GOTY running for me.
Glad to help you. While FF16 is my potential goty list, it does have some competition for me. HiFi Rush & RE4R are the competition. There's a few others that come out later around between August and October that's on my list too.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Glad to help you. While FF16 is my potential goty list, it does have some competition for me. HiFi Rush & RE4R are the competition. There's a few others that come out later around between August and October that's on my list too.
Dead Space and RE4 would be in the running but I don't like Horror games as much and, I know this is going to sound a bit odd from me but, I don't get Remakes the same weight. They will be in the Top Games of the year list without question though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dead Space and RE4 would be in the running but I don't like Horror games as much and, I know this is going to sound a bit odd from me but, I don't get Remakes the same weight.
I like and respect you for it. RE4R is so good though, that I can't pass it up. I haven't played the Dead Space remake yet, as I don't have a PS5 yet. My older brother plans on getting me one for my birthday next month.

RE4R does have a little bit more emphasis on horror, but it is still an action game. It becomes less scary by the second or third playthrough. But that's usually what happens with most horror games.