Funny events in anti-woke world

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
AI is anti-woke. Killing off the human race to do X thing is unaliving someone which is super anti-woke.
Or alternatively....

"It’s not just automated call centers. This wave will fundamentally reshape and reorder society and it is those with most to lose, reliant on established capital, expertise, authority and security architectures, who are precisely the most exposed."

(not necessarily a view I agree with, just a headline I noticed recently)

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You and Agema are genuinely revelling in ignorance. You have no explanation for why things are the way they are or why people believe what they do, you are just leaning into pedantic arguments.
Explanation for how things are? There's a readily available, very obvious explanation: a bunch of people were taking dangerous homecures. The President suggested a particular dangerous cure. Then a few people conflated the specific dangerous cure he suggested with another common one, and other people reported on the dangers of dangerous fake cures in general.

You can ascribe whatever bullshit motives to me and the media you like. You can't get around the fact that they literally reported what he said accurately. You fibbed.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
You and Agema are genuinely revelling in ignorance. You have no explanation for why things are the way they are or why people believe what they do, you are just leaning into pedantic arguments.
I find it genuinely hilarious that you think it's anyone other than you being pedantic here.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I find it genuinely hilarious that you think it's anyone other than you being pedantic here.
I corrected people spreading false information. We've already had multiple acknowledgements that I was correct that their info was wrong. You have brought nothing of substance to this, you just don't like the implications of me being right. Let's not forget several pages ago when you said this:
Broadly, yes, because the demand for 24/7 news cycles, massively increased competition via the internet and reduced advertising/subscription revenues driving heavy cost reductions have led to drastic cutbacks in the time and research that goes into production of news articles. In business news, for instance, some news agencies post the promotional materials from companies with no checking whatsoever. (One of my flatmates in years past resigned from a newspaper post over this practice.)

Society gets the media that it pays for. For the most part it doesn't really want to pay for quality journalism, so it doesn't get it.

Being responsible news consumers requires people to be aware of the limitations of the media. Pointless bitching and conspiracising about it is pretty useless, because it's achieving precisely nothing to fix the problem. In fact, it's often achieving the opposite by furthering distrust in and weakening the audience share of higher quality media, whose ex-customers have little alternative except accessing even lower quality media, thus driving standards even lower.
Your position here is that my standards for media competence should be lower so I don't drive people away from the sources that are misinforming them to ones that you like less. You have conceded that I have the facts right on the actual news stories, but you don't find my media consumption responsible because I think the people spreading untruths are lying.
Explanation for how things are? There's a readily available, very obvious explanation: a bunch of people were taking dangerous homecures. The President suggested a particular dangerous cure. Then a few people conflated the specific dangerous cure he suggested with another common one, and other people reported on the dangers of dangerous fake cures in general.
This is anachronistic. They reported on what Trump said, then later reported an increase in bleach drinking after his statements, then weeks later acknowledged that it was an issue before he said anything, and even with that data in their hands, some refused to admit he didn't cause a spike.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Well, in the sense that an ulcer is a hole in certain types of bodily membrane, actually it might cause ulcers. Although ulcers are typically associated with infections, they can come from other forms of damage or conditions.
You know I meant stomach ulcers, Mr Smartypants.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I corrected people spreading false information.
Yes... unnecessarily pedantically.

At then launched into a bogus complaint about the media, which as subsequent discussion has demonstrated evidently didn't do a load of stuff you want to believe it did.

Your position here is that my standards for media competence should be lower
No, my position is that your complaints about the media should be realistic and accurate. This involves:

1) Considering media not necessarily as a generic bloc, but as a series of organisations / individuals with different standards
2) Accepting a certain degree of fallibility of media, generally proportional to the standards organisations attempt to maintain and the circumstances they operate under.

Wading in with broad accusations that "They're all a bunch of liars" is not only wrong (as this episode demonstrates, because the media have not pushed the line you're claiming they have), it achieves little except to depress confidence in the media without achieving any actual improvement in its quality.

Let me remind you, in the thread earlier this year about the Fox News defamation suit, your response to Fox News being revealed to have plainly and deliberately lied according to their own internal memos - and on a whopper of a topic in terms of public importance - was essentially deflection onto much more trivial allegations against other organisations. If you want to talk about standards expected of the media and refuse to score the most open goal imaginable, you're not in a good place to lecture other people about media standards.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I corrected people spreading false information.
You categorically did not do that. You complained about accurate reporting, then offered a mess of other weak excuses for why you consider the media to blame for some people mixing things up.

This is anachronistic. They reported on what Trump said, then later reported an increase in bleach drinking after his statements, then weeks later acknowledged that it was an issue before he said anything, and even with that data in their hands, some refused to admit he didn't cause a spike.
No: they reported what he said. Then a single outlet reported the timing of the rise wrongly, though an understandable mistake to anyone who isn't grinding an axe, and even they did not attribute it to him.

You yourself have given false information and refused to acknowledge it. "Flawless remembering" was a falsehood. Acknowledge it, then explain why you expect us to condemn the media as malicious liars for making a much more understandable mistake.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
AI is a tool like any other. It's just a matter of how you use it.
That depends on if a side quest of what they want to do involves us getting in the way, and them killing us. Also, they could just gain sentience, and their model could be based on Hitler or Pol Pot.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Well, that's kind of the problem with being a smartypants - sometimes you know too much about a topic to draw a conclusion that might be obvious to people who know less.
In this case a matter of English language, as I thought 'ulcer' is a shortcut to peptic ulcers and similar in the GI tract. Besides, it was a coin flip whether you'd read it as the joke it was supposed to be or as something else.
What if yo injected it into your stomach though?
With creative thinking like this we wouldn't have had a pandemic of any kind.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
In this case a matter of English language, as I thought 'ulcer' is a shortcut to peptic ulcers and similar in the GI tract.
Yes, those are what people mostly mean by ulcers. And I should really have grasped that, but my mind got stuck on thinking about all the other forms of ulcers (e.g. pressure, bladder, genital, aortic, uterine, etc.)

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Let me remind you, in the thread earlier this year about the Fox News defamation suit, your response to Fox News being revealed to have plainly and deliberately lied according to their own internal memos - and on a whopper of a topic in terms of public importance - was essentially deflection onto much more trivial allegations against other organisations. If you want to talk about standards expected of the media and refuse to score the most open goal imaginable, you're not in a good place to lecture other people about media standards.
Excuse me. An entirely different user said other news organizations do the same thing, and your response to them was to pretend that other organizations hadn't lied and been sued for defamation as well. And they had, multiple times, in recent memory, some paying out millions of dollars as a result. Neither of these threads would have gone this way if you just stopped treating the mainstream news media as morally irreproachable. I didn't deny Fox's actions, I didn't deflect, I just responded to you saying something wrong.
You categorically did not do that.
Shall we check the record?
True. He only suggested injecting disinfectant, which is much better.
True, I misquoted him somewhat.
Whilst technically true Trump didn't tell people to drink bleach
You are correct... I am sorry for having contributed what turned out to be an unsubstantiated speculation based on the article.
Did you forget that your first response to me on this topic was agreeing that I was factually accurate?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

You know, doing it in secret kind of defeats the purpose of a declaration of independence. Tho of course we know for certain it never happened, because if it did it, Trump would never shut up about it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Shall we check the record?

Did you forget that your first response to me on this topic was agreeing that I was factually accurate?
Factually correct that Trump did not suggest drinking bleach (and that he suggested injecting disinfectant instead, a fact you deflected by bizarrely insisting a suggestion should not be called a suggestion).

Not factually correct that the media reported he told people to drink bleach. Because they didn't. They reported he suggested injecting disinfectant. If you're completely unwilling to acknowledge what you said was untrue, why should anybody believe your motive here is genuinely to set the record straight?

Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Yes, and if only you'd stopped at correcting the record on the specific point that Trump didn't tell people to drink bleach everyone would have just accepted it and moved on.

Instead, you decided to immediately follow it up by digging yourself a massive hole and jumping into it, and thus the exhaustive efforts wasted trying to pretend you hadn't.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
If you're completely unwilling to acknowledge what you said was untrue, why should anybody believe your motive here is genuinely to set the record straight?
I answered this point the first time you made it:
Not explicitly, as that would be libel. Do you think it was just spontaneous mass delusion that millions of people think he said to drink bleach?
I don't need to answer it again. I understand the reports didn't literally say he told people to drink bleach. I also can remember the event when it happened, and people were convinced at that time that he had said to drink bleach. It's not people having a fuzzy memory 3 years later, it's not people combining different events in their memory. #dontdrinkbleach trended within days of the comments. And it is incredibly easy to see how, when the news "suggests" Trump told people to cure their covid with internal disinfectant, then talks in the articles all about not drinking bleach, then starts headlining articles about the event with "Why you shouldn't drink bleach", with eventually the entertainment industry just outright saying Trump thinks it's good to drink bleach.

You didn't catch me in a lie, you're just ignoring the point. In, funny enough, exactly the same way as you're letting the news off the hook. You're ignoring that they deceived people because their reporting could all be interpreted as technically correct. Both "Trump suggests injecting disinfectant" and "Why it's important not to drink bleach" can be seen as true expressions, but putting together implies the lie. Withholding information that would meaningfully change people's conclusions is a lie of omission. Combined, people were convinced that Trump told people to drink bleach and then there was a spike in people drinking bleach, and that happened because the news was not prioritizing communicating the truth.
Yes, and if only you'd stopped at correcting the record on the specific point that Trump didn't tell people to drink bleach everyone would have just accepted it and moved on.
You're still saying things that are wrong!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I answered this point the first time you made it:

I don't need to answer it again. I understand the reports didn't literally say he told people to drink bleach.
Yes, and yet you still referred to drinking bleach as a "perfect remembering" of what the media reported, which is irreconcilable with the acknowledgement above.

I don't give a shit about all these other facile excuses for why you still consider the reporting misleading and malicious. The reasons you've given so far have been frankly kind of pathetic-- "these two separate true statements could be misleading if blah-de-blah", "they shouldn't call a suggestion a suggestion", "they shouldn't warn people about genuine dangers if it could make the President look bad". All just so weak, circumstantial and speculatory partisan waffle, as you dance around the fact that nothing they said was actually wrong, and you described it in a way that was factually wrong.

Reactions: Ag3ma

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Both "Trump suggests injecting disinfectant" and "Why it's important not to drink bleach" can be seen as true expressions, but putting together implies the lie. Withholding information that would meaningfully change people's conclusions is a lie of omission.
Except people were drinking bleach! Fucking hell, man. You've just spent multiple posts arguing over a rise in bleach and disinfectant poisonings! Put 2+2 together.

During covid some people were misusing bleach accidentally, and some through fraud, and a few deliberately. Cases were rising pre-Trump, and reports and warnings were going out pre-Trump. Very obviously, Trump's colossal gaffe in the middle of this drove a lot of attention to misuse of bleach, and many organisations put out clear warnings not to ingest bleach, which the media very reasonably covered, obviously at the same time they were reporting Trump's stupidity.

The weird irony is that Trump's stupidity probably helped reduce bleach poisonings in the medium-long term, because it drove a huge campaign to warn people to take more care. It doesn't, however, make Trump's stupidity any less stupid.

Reactions: Kwak and Silvanus

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

You know, doing it in secret kind of defeats the purpose of a declaration of independence. Tho of course we know for certain it never happened, because if it did it, Trump would never shut up about it.

Oh, the irritating bizarre sense of superiority they give off. It's said that conspiracy theorists invent this sort of rubbish to make themselves feel smarter, and ok, that's good evidence for it.

Also, their plan for amusement was to go to a bank, ask to speak to a manager, and then want to buy some fake currency? Like, that's beyond Karen (the new whiny one, not the old racist one), and into weird comedy skit. VLDL would do that.