United States
I know I already looked up spoilers for NieR: Automata, but
Simone's backstory of her unrequited love for Jean-Paul
STILL hit me hard.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Are the Life is Strange games worth playing?
I liked the first game, if you haven't had the story spoiled for you then it should keep you interested. Oh, people have complained that the dialog is a bit "hello fellow teenagers", but it never bothered me that much. So if you can live with that then you might get on with it.

Actually, now I think about it, I think the first episode of the first game is free to play so you can try it before you commit yourself to it.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So I played a bit of ever crisis, damn, they're so sneaky, they used the amazing intro cutscene from ff7R in the phone game too lol. Like straight up until the first mission it was the ps4 cutscene and it look super good too. The game in general looks amazing for being on a phone.

So far so good, I like that they use chibi char models like the original game but with modern technology, and the way the camera moves has the backgrounds feel familiar despite not being pre-rendered. The gameplay feels kinda simple though I'm super early. You just kinda select abilities and spells and the chars do some weak autoattack periodically.

The actual gacha stuff seems to just give you weapons and costumes, not actual chars, which yeah, you kinda have to do with this story. I find it kinda irrelevant at this point. Maybe if they give some really cool costumes I'll think differently but so far the only costume I like is Cloud's samurai one and Aeris' castlevania leathers look which is totally the opposite of her normal look.

Only negative so far is that the folks from the Sephiroth focused story, the other side chars, they're way too generic. Like how do you have a guy named Glenn on a same team as a guy named Sephiroth XD.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Are the Life is Strange games worth playing?
I have an abiding affection for the first game, although I'd struggle to explain why. Yes the dialogue is a bit weird, maybe because its a French writing team attempting to ape how American teenagers speak, adding two layers to the confusion: generational and cultural. But the game is really good at making small victories feel as amazing as big ones.

So yeah, episode 1 is free on Steam so give it a crack.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I have an abiding affection for the first game, although I'd struggle to explain why. Yes the dialogue is a bit weird, maybe because its a French writing team attempting to ape how American teenagers speak, adding two layers to the confusion: generational and cultural. But the game is really good at making small victories feel as amazing as big ones.

So yeah, episode 1 is free on Steam so give it a crack.
I enjoyed it but as a caveat would note that it’s just…sloooowww. Sloths would feel right at home though.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finally got the SS Rank against Henry on Carolina Reaper Boss Mode. The time par for these are ridiculous. It reveals the flaws of No More Heroes III combat. Damage and how many special attacks you use don't matter for the overall rank. The rank sololy based on time and that is it. The combat relies on luck and what slot power ups you get. As much as I like this games combat, the previous games didn't have this issue as much, because rank was done better in NMH1 and 2 got rid of it entirely.

I did a quick playthrough of DDIV. I forgot how cheap this game can be at times, but is still fun.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Been playing Sea of Stars and am about 5 hours in(on the Spooky Island). Really enjoying it. It feels more like a Crono Trigger then Crono Cross was which is amusing since it's not a crono game.

But I remembered it's a prequel to The Messenger so I started playing that and I am also enjoying that too, which I wasn't sure I was going to because it's very influenced by Ninja Gaiden, a game series that's brutally difficult at times(I played NG1-3 through once. NEVER AGAIN).

So I'll probably end up playing through both in the next few weeks before I go on vacation in October.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Been playing Sea of Stars and am about 5 hours in(on the Spooky Island). Really enjoying it. It feels more like a Crono Trigger then Crono Cross was which is amusing since it's not a crono game.
It be like that at times, where the spiritual sequel/successor is better than the official sequel.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Broforce, there was a big update a bit a go and I needed a break from the constant moral choices in Balders Gate 3, the new stuff so far is pretty neat and it seems like a lot of the bros get personal missions setup for their skill set.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
But I remembered it's a prequel to The Messenger so I started playing that and I am also enjoying that too, which I wasn't sure I was going to because it's very influenced by Ninja Gaiden, a game series that's brutally difficult at times(I played NG1-3 through once. NEVER AGAIN).
The Messenger might be inspired by Ninja Gaiden but its difficulty isn't, I found it rather easy. I didn't beat it though, got distracted by other games I wanted to play more, might have gotten much harder past the point I was, but up till then, wasn't hard.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The Messenger might be inspired by Ninja Gaiden but its difficulty isn't, I found it rather easy. I didn't beat it though, got distracted by other games I wanted to play more, might have gotten much harder past the point I was, but up till then, wasn't hard.
I finished the first area and haven't died yet, which is a lot better then I do on most platformers. I wasn't sure if I was just better then I thought or the game was easier then I imagined.

It be like that at times, where the spiritual sequel/successor is better than the official sequel.
To be fair, I like the idea of CC but not the way it's implemented.

It doesn't help that I tried to explain one of the big plot twists in CC to a friend and I had to follow it up with "I'm not insane, I swear. I'm giving you the most simplified version of the plot I can think of that still gives proper context"

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I finished the first area and haven't died yet, which is a lot better then I do on most platformers. I wasn't sure if I was just better then I thought or the game was easier then I imagined.
Its still a neat game, but don't go in expecting anything close to an old school experience, difficulty wise. Granted most of that difficulty was based on bad design, but I found it easier then most modern platformers too.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Its still a neat game, but don't go in expecting anything close to an old school experience, difficulty wise. Granted most of that difficulty was based on bad design, but I found it easier then most modern platformers too.
Hey, I'm not complaining. I can put up with painful platformer to a point. Celeste was probably one of the hardest platformer I've played in recent times and I very much appreciated I could tweak the difficultly so I could get past some of the tougher sections while still being challenged. Honestly, I wish more games would do something like that where I could tweak the bits I'm having the most problem with to make it bearable.

Ori and the blind forest I was fine with until I got to one of the escape sequences and i just had to drop the difficulty because I could not nail the timing from the beginning to end, so I needed checkpoints that were a little more frequent.

On a similar note I appreciate that Sea of Stars has Relics I can buy/find where I can adjust portions of the difficulty like that by flipping them on or off, including a "Hard" and "Easy" mode one but also variations in between.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hey, I'm not complaining. I can put up with painful platformer to a point. Celeste was probably one of the hardest platformer I've played in recent times and I very much appreciated I could tweak the difficultly so I could get past some of the tougher sections while still being challenged. Honestly, I wish more games would do something like that where I could tweak the bits I'm having the most problem with to make it bearable.

Ori and the blind forest I was fine with until I got to one of the escape sequences and i just had to drop the difficulty because I could not nail the timing from the beginning to end, so I needed checkpoints that were a little more frequent.

On a similar note I appreciate that Sea of Stars has Relics I can buy/find where I can adjust portions of the difficulty like that by flipping them on or off, including a "Hard" and "Easy" mode one but also variations in between.
It is nice when they do things like that to even out difficulty.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Finished the Story mode run of Shredder's Revenge on Gnarly difficulty. I think I got a game over twice during the run, once near the start and once against the final boss. Was still pretty stressful compared to the lower difficulties, but at least now hopefully I should be prepared for Survi... and I died immediately again.

That shit's just ridiculous.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
but at least now hopefully I should be prepared for Survi... and I died immediately again.

That shit's just ridiculous.
Which dimension did you die in, Edo or Mirage? It's random on which of the two you start on, and Mirage tends be more difficult. I will say that in Survival, you're gonna wanna use air supers a lot, since they do more damage than most neutral/standing supers or Dodge + Super.

I got nearly 40 hours in Double Dragon Gaiden. I did another run with Billy and Jimmy. I didn't die until the final boss, and only had to use two continues.