The Defending Joe Biden Mega-Thread

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Got a source on that?
Not quite a source on that exact statement, but here.

The expanded Child Tax Credit expired in January 2022. When the Build Back Better Act was in negotiation, Joe Manchin said he would not support it unless the CTC element included a stipulation that recipients be working. It ended up being removed from the bill.

A lot of people have accused Biden of retreating too easily, being too willing to drop it, or using the Manchin vote as an excuse to do so. And TBH their scepticism is pretty justified.

Biden has however included a reinstatement of the CTC expansion in his 2025 budget.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I am not a social liberal, those people believe in ESG, feminism, and shareholder capitalism. I am a political realist. I have mixed social views and progressive economic views. Also, there was that one time I voted for Mike Dewine, and I would have voted for Bush Sr over peace dividend Clinton.

Edit: Also the AMLO cartel woman president is agreeing to the border restrictions.

Mexican Head of State: Claudia Sheinbaum
Well no wonder you like Joe Biden. You like Republicans and what they do so it absolutely makes sense that you would like Joe Biden.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Well no wonder you like Joe Biden. You like Republicans and what they do so it absolutely makes sense that you would like Joe Biden.
Yes, many republicans love abortion and universal healthcare.
/S

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Biden is (apparently) to your right on both of those issues.
So are the majority of Democrats in state and federal legislatures. Same people who say they support either when the cameras and mics are on, are the same ones whipping votes against them and making sure bills die in committee.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

No Yellen is a nationalist who is against the tax being globally distributed, Which is kinda ruthless, and what I love about Biden. If US billionaires were taxed at 15% then 100% or close to it was given to the US she would agree.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Watched the debate. People, even very democratty democrats, are being quite negative about Biden's performance, but with a single exceptional moment of trailing to nothing, he seemed mentally reasonable. He answered the questions presented with relevant and often specific information, and I think is not getting credit because he looks physically weak and slow. But I don't think that's a particularly fair way to judge a debate performance. And judged on substance (which wasn't exceptional for either), it felt like an even contest to me.

Real winners are genuinely CNN though. They felt impartial and professional, and if I can quell my cynicism for a moment, I hope they might take this as a starting point to reestablishing some of their lost credibility from the last decade or so.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Watched the debate. People, even very democratty democrats, are being quite negative about Biden's performance, but with a single exceptional moment of trailing to nothing, he seemed mentally reasonable. He answered the questions presented with relevant and often specific information, and I think is not getting credit because he looks physically weak and slow. But I don't think that's a particularly fair way to judge a debate performance. And judged on substance (which wasn't exceptional for either), it felt like an even contest to me.
When a political side is throwing around words like "catastrophe", there's a massive problem. You might think it unfair to judge a debate performance on vigour rather than reason, but unfortunately that's not how many Americans feel: they can tolerate lies, venality, intellectual mediocrity, emotional instablity or any combination of, but they will not tolerate weakness.

Biden being perceived as too old, slow, and infirm is a major drawback with voters, almost certainly costing him points in the polls before the debate and one he's been completely unable to shake. He's behind Trump nationally, and particularly the swing states where it matters most. That performance was a major blow in the weak spot, and even worse, it's a potent harbinger it's going to carry on happening.

The Democrats can see the election slipping away before their very eyes... and honestly, to a large extent, they've got themselves to blame.

Last edited:

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008

Real winners are genuinely CNN though. They felt impartial and professional, and if I can quell my cynicism for a moment, I hope they might take this as a starting point to reestablishing some of their lost credibility from the last decade or so.
On my way to work, german radio summed it up as:
Biden started the debate seemingly staring into nothingness, was pretty unresponsive and slow. Got later more into it, nearly saving it.
Trump was uncharacteristically focused and had no problems.
Verdict: It could be understood if democrats might start panicking.

Also: Is it that hard to find someone in your party who is quick, charismatic, experienced, but not worn out... maybe even (gasp) funny, a bit sardonic (Appealing to the youth?) Why does it always have to be so much politics in... politics?

Funnily enough: The party i voted for in European Election a few weeks back had on their number 2 slot a 21-year old student. (Also maybe not ideal... no matter if that guy was a genius or wunderkind or something... Just sends a message) (Ah well, since they got... under 0.2% of votes, way less than the "protect animals-party". (I am not bitter, hehe) it didn't matter.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Also: Is it that hard to find someone in your party who is quick, charismatic, experienced, but not worn out... maybe even (gasp) funny, a bit sardonic (Appealing to the youth?) Why does it always have to be so much politics in... politics?
What is often expected of democratic leaders is a huge amount.

They are expected to know their stuff, to exercise good judgement, to have to all manner of interpersonal skills to navigate politics - charm, manipulate, etc. - to get high in the party machinery and then they also need to be consummate public communicators. A minority of people have high skills in any of those things. Someone who ticks all those boxes is surpassingly rare, and yet we're surprised when some fall short. Ultimately, democracies with modern media have a bane that the public communication has become ever more important at the expense of everything else. Some note that great leaders of yesteryear would have probably failed in the modern era, because they had mannerisms, voices, looks, attitudes that would have punished them in TV and even radio appearances.

And then there's the public. I would hold to the view that all countries get the democratically-elected leaders they deserve. If politics is dominated by second- or third-rate chancers, buffoons, narcissists and weasels, well, someone voted them in. And when you look at what voters believe and say, it's easy to see why.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Also: Is it that hard to find someone in your party who is quick, charismatic, experienced, but not worn out... maybe even (gasp) funny, a bit sardonic (Appealing to the youth?)
Probably not impossible, but someone like popping up in the Democratic Party would threaten the stable power structures in place for them at the top. The Republican Party has much less of an iron grip on the individuals running within it, and you can get someone like a Vivek in an election, but the downside there is you end up with people like MTG rising the ranks.
When a political side is throwing around words like "catastrophe", there's a massive problem. You might think it unfair to judge a debate performance on vigour rather than reason, but unfortunately that's not how many Americans feel: they can tolerate lies, venality, intellectual mediocrity, emotional instablity or any combination of, but they will not tolerate weakness.
I don't think I've personally met the person who is swayed toward Trump because Biden is old and slow. My Democrat friends will all deflect to Trump's age, sometimes even being the ones to bring up age or senility in the first place. Of course, the people with swayable opinions are likely not those talking politics with me, but my gut is that Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) calling this a catastrophe are actually more worried than the people are.

Though maybe I don't give them enough credit and they're actually genuinely worried about the country rather than just the election, but we've got quite the system built to compensate for a lacking president here, the country will be fine if a tired old man stays president a bit longer.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
The Democrats can see the election slipping away before their very eyes... and honestly, to a large extent, they've got themselves to blame.
What, we're not going to blame this one on Russians shitposting on social media?

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Der Postilon (known German satire-news page) has this headline:

Thrown into translate:

"CNN airs 90-minute commercial for nursing homes for the elderly"

"Atlanta (dpo) - This has never happened before in TV history: At prime time on Thursday, the news channel CNN aired a 90-minute continuous advertising program for nursing homes for the elderly.

In the spot, two senile old men argue, one of whom is apparently hallucinating, while the other is dying.

It is not known how much the mega advertising cost - but the price must have been at least in the double-digit million range given the length and broadcasting time.

The emotional message to the viewers: Find the right time to put your elderly relatives and relatives in need of care in a home where they will be well cared for. Because when it's too late, they embarrass themselves and you in public by talking racist garbage or forgetting where they are. In typical advertising exaggeration, the two actors resorted to a completely exaggerated portrayal of senility.

..."

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I don't think I've personally met the person who is swayed toward Trump because Biden is old and slow. My Democrat friends will all deflect to Trump's age, sometimes even being the ones to bring up age or senility in the first place. Of course, the people with swayable opinions are likely not those talking politics with me, but my gut is that Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) calling this a catastrophe are actually more worried than the people are.
I think we can have a slightly skewed idea how damaging things can be because a lot of this works on small margins. 95% of any person's acquaintances might not be swayed by one particular issue: but it's the 5% that are that decide the election. Also bearing in mind that many people might swing elections not because they switch support, but by choosing to vote or not.

I think also many voters possibly decide on a more nebulous sense of confidence or "morale", rather than specific issues and policies. If morale is up it adds enthusiasm, positivity and carries people with it, and when it's down... meh. Biden comes across as a "low morale" candidate in 2024. For instance, figures suggest the US economy is doing well, but a recent poll suggested not even Democratic voters think so. In a mire of negativity, they're struggling to get credit even where they might merit it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fucking hysterical how only now the blinders are coming off with the Democrates.

John Stewart got reamed months ago when he joked about Biden being too fucking old, and now it's like 'Hmmm, he might actually be too fucking old'.

Have fun watching your country sink into the abyss because of your loyalty to a dithering old man.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Fucking hysterical how only now the blinders are coming off with the Democrates.

John Stewart got reamed months ago when he joked about Biden being too fucking old, and now it's like 'Hmmm, he might actually be too fucking old'.

Have fun watching your country sink into the abyss because of your loyalty to a dithering old man.
Y'know, sometimes that koolaid tastes real good.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Anti Biden streaming commentary:

And Pro Biden CNN analysis:

Van Jones calls it "painful" to watch.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
It's plainly obvious Biden is too old. He's like a quarter or halfway to that point where you totally can't have a coherent conversation with him at all (just basic "how's it going today?" or "it sure is hot and muggy today" type small talk). He currently can't have a conversation about anything somewhat complex, you can tell he's just barely remembering all the talking points he was trained on ad nauseam and mix & matching them together.

And I got push back for saying Trump can handle a basic conversation and Biden cannot...

Watching Biden and his wife do some simple holiday thing live (fluff question/answer type thing), Biden looks totally out of it and his wife is the one that steers the him the whole way. Trump, on the other hand, seems like he's someone that can actually have a coherent conversation, in his odd Trump-like fashion albeit.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Pro Biden Boston News finds the debate more likely to help 3rd parties rather than Trump. An interesting take.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Hey Joe, can you kindly debate as if the security of Europe depends on it? Because it does.

Reactions: gorfias