General Gaming News.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Both, and likely not "new" legal bullshit.
Each country has their own laws, regulations, and, where applicable, bribery/political schemes when it comes to hosting international businesses collecting data. A company would have to dedicate legel and administrative teams to get that going in each country. Sony is a big company but they're not Microsoft big so I presume they have made the calculation that it's not worth the overhead costs to get PSN going in all those countries.

So of course this would be a golden opportunity for Microsoft to sweep in and take that market, which is also conducive to their consoles-don't-matter approach but the XBox platform- in whatever form- never made a dent in Japan and they're too busy shitting the bed lol.

"Good business sense"- honestly I don't think anyone knows what that is at this point.
I meant more of, why Sony is all of a sudden so skittish about selling games to PSN-less countries when they've turned a blind eye for decades.

They've had like 4 or 5 games previously on Steam without this requirement, all of a sudden this Helldivers thing happened and now all of a sudden it's imperative even single player games can't be sold in certain countries? Something changed, we just don't know what it is yet.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Something changed, we just don't know what it is yet.
The signs are there. They want people playing on their on pathetic terms. It's about control. History is repeating itself as this was how they were about crossplay and how it was "impossible to implement" or that it would "degrade the Sony gamer community/ecosystem" from outside influence. This is nothing more than another dick flex and controlling the people. "Power to the players" my ass!

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I meant more of, why Sony is all of a sudden so skittish about selling games to PSN-less countries when they've turned a blind eye for decades.

They've had like 4 or 5 games previously on Steam without this requirement, all of a sudden this Helldivers thing happened and now all of a sudden it's imperative even single player games can't be sold in certain countries? Something changed, we just don't know what it is yet.
Might just be Steam not wanting to deal with the hassle of the refunds in these areas when PC players don't create a PSN account in a different region.

For as far as I'm aware Sony's stance in these regions has always been that people should just use a PSN account from a different region, I'm pretty sure that's still the case for their consoles.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The signs are there. They want people playing on their on pathetic terms. It's about control. History is repeating itself as this was how they were about crossplay and how it was "impossible to implement" or that it would "degrade the Sony gamer community/ecosystem" from outside influence. This is nothing more than another dick flex and controlling the people. "Power to the players" my ass!
It definitely stinks of Sony arrogance, but man... They're literally refusing money. That, I just can't understand.

Might just be Steam not wanting to deal with the hassle of the refunds in these areas when PC players don't create a PSN account in a different region.

For as far as I'm aware Sony's stance in these regions has always been that people should just use a PSN account from a different region, I'm pretty sure that's still the case for their consoles.
I've heard some rumors that the refunds were initiated by Sony and not Steam, but who knows.

As for using a PSN account from a different region, that was always my assumption as well, but apparently Sony does ban accounts from time to time if they find out you're from one of the heathen countries. I've seen stories where people reaching out to Sony customer support ends up getting them banned instead after the reps find out they're not actually from the US or Japan or something.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Not much of 'news' but Geoff Keighley basically has confirmed Silksong won't be at SGF and that "it's going to take a while".
"A while" has turned into a real freakin' long time mate. Just how big is this game going to be?! I'm fearing for the sheer level of feature creep it might be experiencing

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Playstation is putting their games on PC with PSN sign in required to allow PC users to earn trophies. And by forcing a PSN account it will bring new players into the Playstation store ecosystem.

People may hate it, but it makes very good business sense because someone on PC starting to earn trophies and even platinum might want to then play more Playstation games.
I highly doubt most PC players give a single solitary fuck about trophies.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm like 87% certain they lost a good chunk of progress at some point.
Hollow knight did really well and they presumably got a crap load of money, possibly enough that they don't have to work for the rest of their life. They probably just aren't working on it full time.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I highly doubt most PC players give a single solitary fuck about trophies.
I dunno about that. Steam has achievements and rankings based off them. People demanded Epic Games put achievement functionality into that marketplace which they have done. Right now the only platform without achievements is the Switch as Nintendo is sort of the only system that doesn't have a strong user profile set up. However individual Nintendo games will have internal achievements from time to time.

There are a lot of people across all platforms that like achievements so i wouldn't underestimate the power of an achievement system.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
However individual Nintendo games will have internal achievements from time to time.
Most third party games that come out on the Switch have an internal achievement system. Especially indie titles. This isn't new and has been going on since Wii era. Most third party Wii games have an internal achievement system of some kind. Especially compared to the Nintendo first party games from that era.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

I agree, hopefully, the next patch with the hot redhead will have it.

Damn, I heard it sold as a genshin clone, but those screenshoot really look like they're straight out of genshin.

Yeah story skip is something that really should be baseline, I might even pick up Genshin again if they included it.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

It's been a long time since gamers have heard anything about Monolith Productions' Wonder Woman project. It turns out that there may be a troubling reason why that may be. That is if word from former IGN employee and current Kinda Funny host Greg Miller is to be believed.

In an episode dedicated to Summer Game Fest predictions, Miller reported that an insider had told him within the last year that the Wonder Woman game was "troubled." Here are his full words:

Here you go, you want it? You want the exclusive? I’ll give you my ‘Jeff Grubb’ information. In the past year – cause I’ll leave it ambiguous – I have talked to an insider, who was like, 'This game’s troubled.' That’s it, that’s all I’ll say. So I don’t hold out hope that it’s in a place to show something.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

TF2 is now overwhelmingly negative on steam. Crazy to think one of Valve's own games is getting such rating. I guess years of filling the game with hat data, downgrading the graphics, letting hackers run rampant, and creating a new pvp IP really pissed off lots of loyal fans

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Dragon Age Dreadwolf has been renamed to veilguard.

In all my experiences, name changes to previously announced AAA games has been a red flag, that something has happened to the development. Not to mention, dreadwolf sounded much better

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Dragon Age Dreadwolf has been renamed to veilguard.

In all my experiences, name changes to previously announced AAA games has been a red flag, that something has happened to the development. Not to mention, dreadwolf sounded much better
Yeah this is a really strange decision, maybe there was some conflict with the name "dreadwolf" being registered for something else?

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Yeah this is a really strange decision, maybe there was some conflict with the name "dreadwolf" being registered for something else?
Out of curiosity, I did a quick trademark search, and EA is the only guys who has the rights to the name dreadwolf

Then I found this article that just came out:
BioWare general manager Gary McKay explains that while Solas is “still very much a part of the story of Dragon Age: The Veilguard,” the team wanted a title that reflected a “really deep and compelling group of companions.”
While acknowledging that the why and the how is definitely spoiler territory, McKay says, “The biggest clue I can share is that you and your companions – that make up The Veilguard – are central to taking down a new evil threat unleashed upon Thedas. It might not just be Solas.”
So it looks like it's because 1. The focus is on your character and the companions, and 2. Because there is another threat besides Solas. That last part kinda has me worried, because who or whatever this new threat is it has to be well-written and engaging to the narrative. I'm pretty sure that's what happened with Dragon Age Inquisition and well.... It stopped me from naming it as one of the GOAT games.

Reactions: meiam