General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, one period I can think of is the end of sengoku period, right after Imjin War. There was a power struggle between the emperror and the daimyos. Would love to see the descendant of Jin, deciding which side they will fight for.
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I am 95% sure the Mongolians will be back as the main villains. There will be some new factions as well to mix it up, but they won't be the main focus.

How many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man!?
I love the young 🥷 ninja and samurai!

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
A Just Cause film adaptation is in the works.

Since I've never played a Just Cause game, I go off of the ZP reviews I've seen, and my understanding is that the narrative is rather thin and is mostly there to motivate the fun gameplay. Which sounds like the recipe for a generic action movie. Nonetheless, I hope it turns out well.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
A Just Cause film adaptation is in the works.

Since I've never played a Just Cause game, I go off of the ZP reviews I've seen, and my understanding is that the narrative is rather thin and is mostly there to motivate the fun gameplay. Which sounds like the recipe for a generic action movie. Nonetheless, I hope it turns out well.
Think of every action movie that doesn't involve too much in-dept story. Multiply that by every explosions and detructions you've seen in media, and that's JC for you. Unlike CoD, destroying shit is actually fun.

However, that does raise some concerns for me, because I have no idea how they'll handle the story

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Think of every action movie that doesn't involve too much in-dept story. Multiply that by every explosions and detructions you've seen in media, and that's JC for you. Unlike CoD, destroying shit is actually fun.

However, that does raise some concerns for me, because I have no idea how they'll handle the story
They can dump the story, nobody played the game for that. An action comedy with plenty of explosion could work in a quasi B movie way.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I watched Sony's State of Play showcase. Well, you know, half-watched-while-multitasking you know...

What happened:

Anyway I don't think anything revealed was shocking or terrible or great.
- God of War Ragnarok coming to PC though that was expected I presume.
- They spent a lot of time on their big new multiplayer shooting each other thing called Concord and since I don't care about that stuff I had to look up that name 3 more times in between deciding to write this post and typing it.
- Their corporate mascot robot is getting a new game and since the previous one was cute this one is also. Will be interesting to see if/how they actually sell it? The last one came with the PS5 and served as a sort of demo/tutorial for the controller. I played it and liked it but also I didn't pay extra for it.
- Silent Hill 2 remake got a release date for later this year and honestly it looks cool. I never played the original more than a bit so I may pick this one at some point.
- Monster Hunter Wild looks freaking awesome, I don't even like Monster Hunter. A lot of this is my personal taste- they seemed to have really toned down the anime of it all.
- There was some VR stuff and between that and the fact that a couple VR games are now for the first time on PS+ I wonder if they're gonna give that whole thing another go of it. But with Sony and their marketing you never know hahah.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I watched Sony's State of Play showcase. Well, you know, half-watched-while-multitasking you know...

What happened:

- They spent a lot of time on their big new multiplayer shooting each other thing called Concord and since I don't care about that stuff I had to look up that name 3 more times in between deciding to write this post and typing it.
- Their corporate mascot robot is getting a new game and since the previous one was cute this one is also. Will be interesting to see if/how they actually sell it? The last one came with the PS5 and served as a sort of demo/tutorial for the controller. I played it and liked it but also I didn't pay extra for it.
- Silent Hill 2 remake got a release date for later this year and honestly it looks cool. I never played the original more than a bit so I may pick this one at some point.
- Monster Hunter Wild looks freaking awesome, I don't even like Monster Hunter. A lot of this is my personal taste- they seemed to have really toned down the anime of it all.
- There was some VR stuff and between that and the fact that a couple VR games are now for the first time on PS+ I wonder if they're gonna give that whole thing another go of it. But with Sony and their marketing you never know hahah.
How do you feel about the new dynasty warriors?

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
How do you feel about the new dynasty warriors?

I guess not much since I forgot about it?
The only game I remember from that franchise is some fighting game, I might have tried on Gamepass or at a relative's house.. honestly all the anime fighting game stuff is the same to me. I dunno, it's one of those franchise names I knew was a thing but no literally nothing else about any of it. The trailer is... some fighting... I dunnno *shrugs*
I guess the title "origins" suggests they may be trying to appeal to potential noobs like me

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

What happened:

I was quite a bit disappointed by the showcase tbh. I was hoping to see some Resident Evil something, or more PC announcements.

Instead they announce TWO hero shooter live service games. Another Live service in Path of Exile 2 (which was the best one), a ton of random Nioh-looking action games who's names can't be remembered, it was just a giant nothing burger imo. Monster Hunter looks like more of the same, which people love and they'll probably be happy.

Until Dawn's remake looks like shit, how do you remake a game and it's worse looking than the original?

Silent Hill 2 also looks quite bad tbh, but I'm not super familiar with the original. I'll wait for Yahtzee's verdict on that tbh.

I call this the State of Play that could have been an Email 3/10.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I have a feeling someone already posted this... but this looks fucking sick. At this point I'm just concerned if my PC will be able to handle this.

EDIT: Huh, its age restricted. But the video is about Space Marine 2's coop and multiplayer modes.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

.....Why tho? Neither has multiplayer/online element to my knowledge. I am still excited for GOW:R, but I am trying to find the point of doing this
Playstation is putting their games on PC with PSN sign in required to allow PC users to earn trophies. And by forcing a PSN account it will bring new players into the Playstation store ecosystem.

People may hate it, but it makes very good business sense because someone on PC starting to earn trophies and even platinum might want to then play more Playstation games.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Playstation is putting their games on PC with PSN sign in required to allow PC users to earn trophies. And by forcing a PSN account it will bring new players into the Playstation store ecosystem.

People may hate it, but it makes very good business sense because someone on PC starting to earn trophies and even platinum might want to then play more Playstation games.
Also they get to sell player data to advertised or feed it to hungry AI.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

I feel like "very good business sense" is an extreme exaggeration. There is no way Sony would do better financially relying on the slim chance that a rare trophy-chasing PC gamer will eventually buy a PS5 than potentially millions of people just straight up buying the game.

Didn't some PlayStation exec just state that their goal with the PC ports is to convince PC gamers to buy a PlayStation to play the sequels to the game they got on PC? If that's indeed true, restricting the number of people who can even buy the games makes no sense.

Which makes me think Sony genuinely doesn't want business from countries like mine (which is completely possible), or there's some new legal bullshit that's making them skittish about PSN support in said countries.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Which makes me think Sony genuinely doesn't want business from countries like mine (which is completely possible), or there's some new legal bullshit that's making them skittish about PSN support in said countries.
Both, and likely not "new" legal bullshit.
Each country has their own laws, regulations, and, where applicable, bribery/political schemes when it comes to hosting international businesses collecting data. A company would have to dedicate legel and administrative teams to get that going in each country. Sony is a big company but they're not Microsoft big so I presume they have made the calculation that it's not worth the overhead costs to get PSN going in all those countries.

So of course this would be a golden opportunity for Microsoft to sweep in and take that market, which is also conducive to their consoles-don't-matter approach but the XBox platform- in whatever form- never made a dent in Japan and they're too busy shitting the bed lol.

"Good business sense"- honestly I don't think anyone knows what that is at this point.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
In the thread about State of Play I said I think that Inifnite Nikki thing might end being a hit. This article- granted, it is marketing hype, so salted grains and all that- furthers that thought.

Basically it looks like it's taking the most memable parts of JRPGs and turning that into a whole-ass game, with gorgeous graphics. We are not the target audience so it will be dismissed and I certainly have no interest in playing it but my nieces will love it and it looks genuinely fun for folks that like something like Genshin Impact or Animal Crossing or Immortals Fenyx Rising and this obessions with "customizing your character" and all that stuff.

Edit: also cat