General Gaming News.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I watched the 26 min official video. And I do think the purist would definitely stick with more historically-accurate route, meanwhile some would definitely get creative with their choices. But I feel for each age advancement, you can only stay pure to one civlization. Not to mention, this will create balance issues, as it always happens with any multiplayer games that offer build variety.

One other thing I'm dying to know is who will be the composer? Hoping it's Chrtistopher Tin again
Its seems like there's not really any historical route though, at least the Egypt they've shown had two path that didn't really follow history, with the default being definitely not historical, it seems like they went purely from a geographical point of view ("oh Egypt is in Africa so I guess they'll become the next African civ").

It's a very strange choice because the opposite would have worked much better, pick civ and leader separately, and change leader once in awhile (ie egypt lead by Napoleon and then Churchill).

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
On the civ issues:
Civ have been stealing ideas from smaller devs for years, the difference this time is that you happen to know where they stole it from. Bonus points because they often steal ideas, then claim genre innovation, and because 4X is niche(ish) and they're big dog it usually goes uncontested.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
On the civ issues:
Civ have been stealing ideas from smaller devs for years, the difference this time is that you happen to know where they stole it from. Bonus points because they often steal ideas, then claim genre innovation, and because 4X is niche(ish) and they're big dog it usually goes uncontested.
Blizzard does the same thing. WoW literally has pokemon in it.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
On the civ issues:
TBF, this might be on those smaller studios if they didn't patent the mechanics/features. But then again, we rarely get game mechanics patented because of how wide they are used.

I.E. Overwatch's POTG highlight can be argued that it's a copy from COD's game-ending killcam. Ubisoft's earlier AC games can be argued to be the first ones to have "climb towers to reveal more of map" mechanic, which seems to be a staple in many other open-worlds. Yet none of them are patented.

Unless it's a literal 1:1 stolen design, I really don't think much can be done about it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
TBF, this might be on those smaller studios if they didn't patent the mechanics/features. But then again, we rarely get game mechanics patented because of how wide they are used.

I.E. Overwatch's POTG highlight can be argued that it's a copy from COD's game-ending killcam. Ubisoft's earlier AC games can be argued to be the first ones to have "climb towers to reveal more of map" mechanic, which seems to be a staple in many other open-worlds. Yet none of them are patented.

Unless it's a literal 1:1 stolen design, I really don't think much can be done about it.
On top of that, if you steal a game mechanic idea and then do it better then it doesn't really matter either. IIRC you can't patient mechanics in gaming because Mario would have patiented "being able to jump" and we'd be fucked.

Games grow and get better through itteration of the same mechanics over and over again. Doom is credited as the first FPS, because can you image how shit CoD would be if it had to use the same shooting mechanic as the OG doom?

Because games are art, they require inspiration and itteration to further develop. People learn to paint better by looking at paintings before them, movies get better by learning from movies before, etc etc. Thus gaming is the same thing.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
On the civ issues:
Usually they steal idea that have potentials, not this time. It remove variety (civ that had early game lead vs civ that had late game advantages), add a lot of RNG ("oh you wanted to be mongolia this game, too bad RNG didn't spawn enough horse for that") remove personality from the civ, lead to much worse balance issue (now instead of balancing X number of civ, they'll have to balance all variant against each others) and doesn't add much to the game. All of this was shown by humankind (big part of the reason why it bombed) and these are things that are either integral to the concept (so that mitigating them would require removing it altogether) or band aid fix to even bigger problem.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well they finally seem to get it. Considering how bad ME: A and Anthem launch was, it’s not surprising BW is doing this
I'm gonna have to just believe it when I see it at this point. 200,000 hours sounds like a lot but that's only a couple months of testing with a full QA team of around 100-150 people. Which is really just average testing in a normal QA department.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I'm gonna have to just believe it when I see it at this point. 200,000 hours sounds like a lot but that's only a couple months of testing with a full QA team of around 100-150 people. Which is really just average testing in a normal QA department.
As soon as you start talking about people in a group doing X activity for Y number of hours the numbers quickly rack up.

How much is 1 million hours? Quick googling reveals that it is 114 years; that sounds like a lot. But to put it in perspective:

Imagine that the next Call of Duty is a real stinker. A dud. Nobody really likes it. The strength of the brand and the marketing however leads to it selling 1 million copies. These players quickly realize that it just isn't fun and the average player give up after 1 hour of play.

That means that Call of Duty: The Sucky Release has managed to rack up 1 million hours, or 114 years of playtime, despite this being a fiasco of legendary proportions.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
As soon as you start talking about people in a group doing X activity for Y number of hours the numbers quickly rack up.

How much is 1 million hours? Quick googling reveals that it is 114 years; that sounds like a lot. But to put it in perspective:

Imagine that the next Call of Duty is a real stinker. A dud. Nobody really likes it. The strength of the brand and the marketing however leads to it selling 1 million copies. These players quickly realize that it just isn't fun and the average player give up after 1 hour of play.

That means that Call of Duty: The Sucky Release has managed to rack up 1 million hours, or 114 years of playtime, despite this being a fiasco of legendary proportions.
Yeah that's the thing these people try to do. Is they throw out some hours number and think it's impressive because they know most people wont consider the context.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Anyone remember maybe 3-4 years ago there was another hero shooter that was made by some guy with some clout in the industry (don't remember who), they tried to hype it as the next big things, it wasn't going to be F2P and all that. iirc there was some sort of anti gravity system as selling point.

Anyway, it bombed and disappeared after a few months (duh). You'd think there would be someone whose job it is early in the game life cycle to look up those kind of example and go "maybe this is a bad idea".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Anyone remember maybe 3-4 years ago there was another hero shooter that was made by some guy with some clout in the industry (don't remember who), they tried to hype it as the next big things, it wasn't going to be F2P and all that. iirc there was some sort of anti gravity system as selling point.

Anyway, it bombed and disappeared after a few months (duh). You'd think there would be someone whose job it is early in the game life cycle to look up those kind of example and go "maybe this is a bad idea".
Cliffy B and LawBreakers.