Your video game hot take(s) thread

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They already loss, they're just too stupid, too delusional, and too fucked in the head with cult mentality to even realize it.
They know they only lose if they stop whining.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They know they only lose if they stop whining.
That just makes them the exact same losers they chose to be. They can easily win by not being insecure bitches, mind their own damn business, and let good and decent people be.

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I bet if they just did one remake and it was one game it would have been one of the best seller of all time. This trilogy thing over like a decade thing is freaking insane.
Square Enix has always said it would take 10+ years to remake FF7 with modern graphical fidelity.

You both worked on Final Fantasy VII, a game very close to my heart! There are always rumours of a possible Final Fantasy VII remake, but would you personally like to see it happen? Do you think a remake is even necessary?

YK: IF it were possible that we had all the right facilities and the right environment to be able to make and prepare a Final Fantasy VII remake within a year, we’d very much like a go at it! But even Final Fantasy XIII has taken over three and a half years to create. If we were to recreate final Fantasy VII with the same level of graphical detail as you see in Final Fantasy XIII, we’d imagine that that would take as much as three or four times longer than the three and a half years it has taken to put this Final Fantasy together! So it’s looking pretty unrealistic! But if any such situation came about by any remote chance, then yes, we’d do it!

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
  1. Notice how the usual anti woke crowd never played any of these games and are the most vocal about it.
  2. Nostalgia goggles is a biatch. Somebody's people complaining haven't touched either game in over a decade now. Another set of jackasses trying to relive their glory days.
  3. Gatekeepers are always petty bitches vecause they know they have nothing better to do otherwise.
Well I wasn't even talking about woke crap, I don't know about any of that for Veilguard because at this point every game has that crap on the internet which means it's to be ignored.

I was more referring to the gameplay- that it's basically a God of War style action game instead of the cRPG focused turn-based thing. Basically, the same arguments over Final Fantasy 16.
And I understand someone simply not being interested in playing FF16 or DA:Vg but that's different then feeling entitled. Like fans of a franchise inherently deserve to have what they think they want in new installments. Rather, the sane/reasonable/chill approach is to just stop with a thing if it's not for you any more.

Valve is just genius for NOT release Half Life 3 at this point. There is no possibility it would have been accepted warmly in this environment.

Re: FF7 requiring 10 years. Oh, please. The new trilogy is chock full of additional content, fetch quests and minigames and all that stuff.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well I wasn't even talking about woke crap, I don't know about any of that for Veilguard because at this point every game has that crap on the internet which means it's to be ignored.
I know, but they were still the ones that start the whining first before anybody else. They?
Only jumped on the gameplaly stuff until after the fact.

Like fans of a franchise inherently deserve to have what they think they want in new installments. Rather, the sane/reasonable/chill approach is to just stop with a thing if it's not for you any more.
Agreed, though like I said before the old fans got there nostalgia goggles and boner on right now. This cycling new it happens over and over again when an established franchise has been around for a long time. Even Streets of Rage has these type of jackass and entitled fan some of the time. Don't need to get me started on the idiot stack. Said the fourth entry looked like a "cheap flash game" ehen the first trailer debuted. Those same idiots definitely kept their mouth shut when the actual previews and game came out. We still got a few contradictory idiots, but they don't count for shit, and most sane people and fans ignore them.

Valve is just genius for NOT release Half Life 3 at this point. There is no possibility it would have been accepted warmly in this environment.
That's not a take unless you're a hardcore Valve fan. Most people realized that/stopped caring about HL3 by the mid 2010s.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Re: FF7 requiring 10 years. Oh, please. The new trilogy is chock full of additional content, fetch quests and minigames and all that stuff.
I haven't actually played the remake, but isn't it also pretty much a completely different game? That was the impression I've gotten from what I've seen and heard about it.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I haven't actually played the remake, but isn't it also pretty much a completely different game? That was the impression I've gotten from what I've seen and heard about it.
I never played the original but they're different. Like I said, they just add a bunch of open world stuff, but also story-wise it's like an alternate reality thing or something. Basically what I read is that there are parts in the original where you stop in a place for a bit but in the remakes that's like a whole area. That's why this whole "it would take 10 years to make the original again" thing doest NOT explain the current trilogy.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I never played the original but they're different. Like I said, they just add a bunch of open world stuff, but also story-wise it's like an alternate reality thing or something. Basically what I read is that there are parts in the original where you stop in a place for a bit but in the remakes that's like a whole area. That's why this whole "it would take 10 years to make the original again" thing doest NOT explain the current trilogy.
Pretty clear they meant to follow that up with, “…but with all the extra modern design shit of course.”

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Well, that interview was from 2010, so it's not a perfect explanation of the current idea. That was a statement from a time when they absolutely had no plans to do a remake, and the 10+ years was an excuse not to do it. I just thought it fit that a 10 year trilogy fits in with their original conception. And heck, it's probably true anyway. Like Midgar was 1/3 of the remake trilogy, but in the original Midgar was like 1/10 of the game. If they were to make a 1-1 remake with modern Square Enix conceptions about what graphics need to be it probably would take more than 10 years just to do all the modeling and animation on the dozens and dozens of areas in the game. I will be shocked if every location and event from the original makes it into the remake. All the changes and additions they've made are probably just necessary modifications to cover all the gaps that would be left by everything they are planning on cutting out.

Now, would it be possible to do a very good looking remake of Final Fantasy 7 in a reasonable development cycle? Yes. Would it be the cutting edge photorealistic, cinematic showstopper Squeenix wants it to be? No.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Stephanie Sterling's recent vid s***s on the PS5 Pro and she goes into a whole a thing about how she and most people can't tell the difference between the high-est end graphics stuff and, more important, performance modes are inherently more "quality" than quality modes because frame rates and consistency make the games look better than any ray-tracing and such.

Probably it's not a hot take to either prefer "performance" modes and agree with Sterling but... well, yeah, ray-tracing is not worth the effort.

So why are people buying 4090's (gaming I mean obviously I'm not talking about crypto or AI or non-gaming stuff) and all this expensive graphical stuff such a driving force?

Yes I bought a PS5 and I'm sure I'll buy a PS6 but it's not for the better graphics it's to literally just be able to play games (and yes in retrospect I concede I should have waited longer to buy the PS5 given how many games were also playable on PS4).

The Switch 2 will likely be comparable in power to a PS4 and it will sell a million billion units.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Stephanie Sterling's recent vid s***s on the PS5 Pro and she goes into a whole a thing about how she and most people can't tell the difference between the high-est end graphics stuff and, more important, performance modes are inherently more "quality" than quality modes because frame rates and consistency make the games look better than any ray-tracing and such.

Probably it's not a hot take to either prefer "performance" modes and agree with Sterling but... well, yeah, ray-tracing is not worth the effort.

So why are people buying 4090's (gaming I mean obviously I'm not talking about crypto or AI or non-gaming stuff) and all this expensive graphical stuff such a driving force?

Yes I bought a PS5 and I'm sure I'll buy a PS6 but it's not for the better graphics it's to literally just be able to play games (and yes in retrospect I concede I should have waited longer to buy the PS5 given how many games were also playable on PS4).

The Switch 2 will likely be comparable in power to a PS4 and it will sell a million billion units.
Agreed to all. Glad you saw the video. Even when the console was first revealed, raytracing wasn't in any part of my buying factor.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

Because there are people who want to play in 4K, and that's still a pretty big performance hit even if you don't bother with things like ray tracing. If you want to play games in 4K at over 120fps without having to use something like DLSS or FSR then you need a pretty top of the line card. Higher end cards don't just provide higher fidelity graphics, they also provide higher frame rates without having to turn the graphics down.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly, Max Dood, Matt McMuscles, and Justin Wong aren't making the black sheep, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, they make out to be. People and most Marvel vs. Capcom fans love the game just fine, despite being a mission pack sequel. It does have advantages over X-Men vs. Street Fighter: faster gameplay, better tag mechanics, a kick-ass soundtrack and intro, an awesome and the best announcer of the franchise,a better final boss, and more secret characters. Granted, I would've traded in Omega Red for Psylocke and US Agent (lazy Captain America palette swap) for Storm, so the Marvel side could've had more female characters, but it's not a total loss. The only people who consider this game a black sheep are people who play professionally or are just blinded by MvC1-2, or X vs. SF. MvC1 is just a better version of XvsSF and MSHvs.SF, but the latter laid ground work for improving the tag mechanics. In fact, MSHvsSF still has better tag mechanics than MvC1, aside from calling bother characters in at the same time, and turning it into Dramatic Battle for 10 seconds with unlimited supers.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Just repeating some "hot" takes in response to some recent posts:

God of War Ragnarok and The Last of Us 2 are freaking awesome games. Absolutely two of the most fun, immersive, exciting, intense, wonderful games I've ever played.

This has been debated and argued a zillion times and I don't wanna do that again, but a couple of you decided to dredge up the parade on shitting on them, so I'd figure I'd drop this flag. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Last of Us 2 are freaking awesome games. Absolutely two of the most fun, immersive, exciting, intense, wonderful games I've ever played.
Only on a game play front and even then, i'm not that impressed. RE4R makes it look like a joke.

Story, character, and theme wise (cycle of violence and vengeance), these do it better:

• The No More Heroes franchise
  • Killer 7
  • Ghost of Tsushima- Lady Masako and Norio's side quest stories. Both done a much more finesse and grace and not having the stories heads up their asses.
  • GoW Norse - Both games and there were so much irony in my words. You know, I love the Norse games.
  • MGS1-5, Revengance.

This has been debated and argued a zillion times and I don't wanna do that again, but a couple of you decided to dredge up the parade on shitting on them, so I'd figure I'd drop this flag. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Yours really isn't much of a hot takes since both games sold great, but good luck having most people go back to the TLOUS2 for 14 hours pain and misery. With even more slow and tedious forced walking in moving forward sections that don't add to anything.

Last edited: