The Perfect Apolitical/Politics Free Video.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Well, I've never heard anybody complain about the political themes in GTA, or Final Fantasy, or Bioshock, or Call of Duty, or Battlefield, or (to use your example) Sonic the Hedgehog.

But I've heard those complaints endlessly about games having gay characters, or women doing things.
Case in point, women do things all the time in Final Fantasy, Bioshock, and Sonic, and nobody complains about that.
Remember The Ballad of Gay Tony? That was in GTA IV and nobody complained about that.

See, it's not just certain topics now is it? This is exactly my point.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Well, I've never heard anybody complain about the political themes in GTA, or Final Fantasy, or Bioshock, or Call of Duty, or Battlefield, or (to use your example) Sonic the Hedgehog.

But I've heard those complaints endlessly about games having gay characters, or women doing things.
Only some though.

Did people complain about the themes in Life is Strange 1?

How about My Ex Boyfriend the Space Tyrant?

How about basically every game developer Robert Yang has ever made?

How about Mass Effect 3, other than the small rural Church group who get mad at EA?

How about Primal on PS2?

It's almost like there's something different in the cases people complain about or something?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I mean the only game I can think of where people where confused about why those dirty dirty girls where in the clubhouse was Battlefield V.

What other games, had negative push back simply for featuring women just because they were women? The reason why I ask is because women have been in games (even as leading role) since the begining of video games. So there must have been some other thing around these complaints, if they exist.
There's another thread going at the moment in which people are loudly complaining because a professional mercenary who happens to be a woman overpowered Nathan Drake in one scene.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The Matrix. The Wachowskis are trans women and wrote The Matrix as a coming out narrative. Which makes the whole "red pill" shit deeply ironic.
No they didn't and the site that reported on that took quotes out of context. The Wachowskis actually said something like "Maybe on a subconscious level that impacted the writing but it wasn't a planned deliberate theme".

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
The Matrix. The Wachowskis are trans women and wrote The Matrix as a coming out narrative. Which makes the whole "red pill" shit deeply ironic.
Kind of like how Hermione was always supposed to be black?

There's another thread going at the moment in which people are loudly complaining because a professional mercenary who happens to be a woman overpowered Nathan Drake in one scene.
Nathan Drake AND his friend Sam in a 2v1.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Correction. Overpowers Nathan Drake and his brother at the same time with relative ease.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Case in point, women do things all the time in Final Fantasy, Bioshock, and Sonic, and nobody complains about that.
Women do things in Bioshock and Sonic which aren't considered to be doing things women apparently shouldn't be able to do, such as having muscles (Abby in TLOU2) or winning a fistfight (Nadine in Uncharted 4).

Women in FF do all sorts of stuff, but that's balanced out in the gamers' (TM) mind by the fact that about 7 in every 10 are dressed up in absurdly-revealing battle outfits. Remember when FF dressed a male protag up in similarly-revealing costumery (Mobius FF)? There was a huge backlash until the studio covered him up. Too "gay".

Remember The Ballad of Gay Tony? That was in GTA IV and nobody complained about that.
Yeah, this side character in one of the expansion packs for GTA4 got away with it. It's not a 100%-of-the-time deal.

Only some though.

Did people complain about the themes in Life is Strange 1?
Uhrm, yes, there was loads of whining about Life is Strange 1.

How about My Ex Boyfriend the Space Tyrant?

How about basically every game developer Robert Yang has ever made?
Never heard of Robert Yang or any of his games until now. Examples which are small indie titles specifically targeted towards the LGBTQ community isn't really what we're talking about, though, is it?

How about Mass Effect 3, other than the small rural Church group who get mad at EA?
Again, yes, I remember complaints about gay romance options being in ME.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
OK, yeah, it's totally unrealistic that a professional mercenary would be unable to overpower 2 visibly-exhausted amateur treasure-hunters after they've just climbed a building.
It's also kind of hilarious because I'm pretty sure my baby sister could take most of these complainers in a fight.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Yeah, this side character in one of the expansion packs for GTA4 got away with it. It's not a 100%-of-the-time deal.
So, the question you should be asking is "why isn't it a 100%-of-the-time deal"? That should lead you to the flaw in your argument.

Women do things in Bioshock and Sonic which aren't considered to be doing things women apparently shouldn't be able to do, such as having muscles (Abby in TLOU2) or winning a fistfight (Nadine in Uncharted 4).
How many fistfights has Tifa won? Amy killed a robot with a hammer. Where are the people complaining about that? And remember, I'm just sticking with your examples of games. I could bring up fighting games, in which men and women are, by necessity, equals, and point out the lack of outcry over that, but I won't.

So you see, it's not about women, or even women doing things they shouldn't be able to do.
This is exactly my point.

This contradiction is the fatal flaw in your argument.

I mean, we're over here telling you exactly why we're outraged in each case, and you and others are going "no, you're all just bigots".
All you have to do is just listen.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well that is a different argument. They arent complaining that a woman is in the game in the first place, which is what you implied originally.

Being annoyed about a woman beating up guys is stupid because it happens in every fucking movie ever and it is just as bogus there too. Its fucking fantasy there are some things that just require the suspension of disbelief.

That is why i never got involved with that part of that thread. Because the argument is stupid.

But to my point. Nobody outside of Battlefield V complains that the game features women in it full stop. Unless you have examples of such.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That is the premise of "Death of the Author," yes. Authorial intent is nice to know from an academic standpoint, but you cannot control how the world will react to a piece of art you release into the public. Mary Shelley almost certainly had no idea that her scary story she thought up during a vacation in Switzerland would end up inventing an entire new genre of fiction. Nor could her friend, Dr. John Polidori guess that his vampire story would shape the vampire myth in pop culture for centuries to come. And the Wachowski sisters never could have predicted that their sci-fi movie about coming out would be appropriated by an anti-feminist, anti-queer movement.

Thank you. That's what I've been telling some of these people, but they just don't get it (or don't want to). People are always going to interpret things certain ways even when there was no intention to be interpreted that way and inject their own ideologies. For better or worse. Usually the latter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buyetyen

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Thank you. That's what I've been telling some of these people, but they just don't get it (or don't want to). People are always going to interpret things certain ways even when there was no attention to be interpreted that way and inject their own ideologies. For better or worse. Usually the latter.
If someone interprets a political meaning they dont like within a piece of media, that doesnt invalidate their complaints about it. And i think that is part of the problem these days because it almost feels like you arent allowed to dislike things.

You dont like Abby's big burly body, you are a sexist. Or whatever it is.

You can not like a thing you shouldnt have to be afraid to share your opinion because someone might think that because you didnt like the one lady means you automatically hate all ladies. Or whatever.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And i think that is part of the problem these days because it almost feels like you arent allowed to dislike things.
You're allowed to like/dislike whatever you want, just don't be an ass about it. That is the main problem. Doesn't matter if you like something or dislike something. The additional main problem being that you have heavy extremists on both sides that want to act like they're the only ones in the right and everybody else is wrong or misguided. Everyone spends too much time screaming at each other and not listening.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
You're allowed to like/dislike whatever you want, just don't be an ass about it. That is the main problem.
Yeah, don't be an ass by calling people bigots just because they don't like something.

act like they're the only ones in the right and everybody else is wrong or misguided. Everyone spends too much time screaming at each other and not listening.
"I understand perfectly. It's you who doesn't understand!"
You mean like that?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You're allowed to like/dislike whatever you want, just don't be an ass about it. That is the main problem. Doesn't matter if you like something or dislike something. The additional main problem being that you have heavy extremists on both sides that want to act like they're the only ones in the right and everybody else is wrong or misguided. Everyone spends too much time screaming at each other and not listening.
We could all go along way if we just agreed to disagree when arguments reached a stalemate.

I mean the problem with online discussions is that people dont really want their mind changed and will argue endlessly to no avail. Im guilty of it, i think we all are to at least some extent.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, don't be an ass by calling people bigots just because they don't like something.

"I understand perfectly. It's you who doesn't understand!"
You mean like that?
You can screw off with the self-righteousness. Follow your own advice and take a look at yourself in the mirror. Especially for someone that likes to derail threads, and ignore facts or truths in front of their faces. Or throws hissy fits when he gets called out on. So thank you for opening up about yourself.

Last edited: