60 FPS is Modern Warfare 3's "Competitive Edge"

Alloflifedecays

May 28, 2008
And as a PC gamer, I've been running CoD at 75fps for years. Good job the rest of the game looks interesting, because this is just sad.

A Werewolf

Jun 27, 2011
Darth Sea Bass said:
I thought anything more than 25 was more than the eye can discern?
Actually, it depends on whats being shown

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

As for the "competitive edge", it seems like MW3 is really scraping the barrel for good things to say at this point.

im just waiting for

"Now with saving AND loading!"

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
So? From what i've seen only PC Gamers really truly care about their frame rate and as a console gamer i couldn't give a damn.

Plus FPS as a selling point? Guess you were running out of marketing ideas huh guys?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Well PC gamers have known about the importance 60fps for about the past 2 decades.

It's pure deference to cinema and video that console games stick with 30fps, 60 is better.

PS: I played COD4 back in 2008 at 60fps, at 1080p resolution and with extra-high quality with 4x anti-aliasing.

PPS: Rage will apparently be 60fps on consoles.

Willsor

Jun 20, 2010
Oh please. I have been getting 50-60fps on bad company 2 (pc) for months. and that has GOOD graphics, unlike the mw series

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
qeinar said:
doesn't really matter, gonna run 'em both at over 100 fps on my computer. : p
Maybe that's why COD always ranks so high on consoles yet meh on PC as on console it is unique with 60fps but on PC everyone aims for 60fps with every game.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
C95J said:
Why would you even argue about FPS? :p

I'm going to buy and enjoy both, no matter what the FPS or Resolution is.
And I'm going to buy and enjoy neither, no matter what the FPS or Resolution is. Maybe Activision should be focusing on gameplay, rather than letting your "competitive edge" be an unnoticeable graphics improvement.

Willsor

Jun 20, 2010
Oh hold on.. I wonder what this is due to?
I reckon the lads at activision's marketing have sat down and thought.. shit.. with BF3 having better graphics and better gameplay, we really have nothing to go for on this game, apart from "it's a new cod, buy it!"
Let's all be honest, while BF3 has very nice textures, lighting, etc etc.. it's fair to say on consoles, the frame rate does struggle.. you can see it in the trailers a bit.
This is the devs chance to enlighten all the little console kiddies about the concept of a frame rate.. I can just see it now, after the release of both games: all the little mw3 kiddies will arrogantly exclaim "I like mw3 more than bf3 because it has a higher frame rate" even though they aren't really sure what it means or what different frame rates look like, at a frail attempt to justify why they bought such a horrendous game (come on, it probably will be)

That's just my opinion anyway, I'm probably getting BF3 first, then maybe mw3 sometime down the line.. maybe..

EDIT: oh, pahaha only just read that last bit "[our game will run at 60fps]Not sure any of our competitors will." You are so predictable activision

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
Yeah, of course this is the CONSOLE fps. Keeping Black Ops' terribad port in mind, The PC port Activision shits out will run at 10 fps, if that.

alucards1hell

Oct 31, 2010
Couldn't really care about the extra fps to be honest, unless the frame rate drops drastically low and your image jars!

I would rather have a game that will always run a steady 30-40 fps rather than one that claims to run at a smooth 60 fps but rarely keeps steady at that value!

Willsor

Jun 20, 2010
Old Trailmix said:
Can somebody kindly take that controller of his and SHOVE IT DOWN HIS THROAT.

Does this douche not realize the human eye cannot see anything beyond around 30 FPS?

For gods sake, most movies are filmed at 28 FPS! Why the hell would we need 60!?
We can most definitely tell the difference between 30 and 60 frames per second
http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html

(I'm not sure how good of a computer you have, but Note: "fps ok" means you're seeing the animations at the intended rate. If you see "fps too slow", it means your computer is slow, and isn't rendering the animations fast enough.)

Willsor

Jun 20, 2010
mrdude2010 said:
Zhukov said:
Can the untrained human eye even tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?
no. anything over 24 is well beyond the human eye anyway
incorrect
We can most definitely tell the difference between 30 and 60 frames per second
http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html

In fact there is some research that has showed the human eye to see at above 220 frames per second

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
Yes, obviously since I can only run ARMA 2 at 45 FPS (average), I shouldn't play it at all. Thank you for showing me the light, Infinity Ward(v2)(tm)!