A few thoughts about January 6, 2021

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
It's a frustration when people on the internet make insane claims and then tell you to "do you own research" when you call them on it. In most cases, it's not research. It's searching for sources that agree with their stance, usually conspiracy theory videos by people who no credentials for any line of work more complex than flipping burgers.
That pisss me off so much. Like you made the claim it is up to you to back it up. Its like you said its sources that confirm with what you already believe.

So only two things come of this. Either you expect me to see your points and just cosign with no thought or you have no faith in your own sources and are aware the just confirm you own beliefs.

I have seen that so much it wears on you.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
In other news a cop just dies of injuries suffered so the body count is up to 5 so far.
Possible details of one of the other mystery deaths: The police pushed a person off the balcony and he may have fallen 50 feet.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
They have to be exposed, marginalized, kept away from any sort of power. Otherwise they take over, and we die.
I don't disagree that ignoring a festering wound is a mistake, but there are still right and wrong ways to take action, and I think you're advocating for the wrong action. By beating up on the people whose beliefs you think are dangerous, you're not only minimizing the chance they change their own mind, but you also make them sympathetic to people who might see them as your victim.

You can disagree with someone and pity them.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
-My second thought is that I'm so uneasy with how lightly people are taking this. I had a few mocking "I guess you're going to add this to your reasons of why you're moving to Canada"
I think we're taking it lightly because of how stupid the whole thing was. Yeah, they got into the building but they weren't organized, no one had a plan. They got inside and mostly just milled around, took pictures of themselves (making it very easy to ID some of these idiots), and sat on other people's chairs. This could have all been a lot worse.

People who are comparing this to 9/11 and Pearl Harbor are blowing the whole thing out of proportion.

I'm pretty sure the reason any of this is happening is because people are bored, angry, and have no outlet to release their stress because of all the lock-downs. That's why the riots happened earlier last year, and that's why this happened, because people are out of work, have free time on their hands and nothing better to do than go to rallies and marches and spend all day listening to youtube conspiracy theories.

This wasn't an organized attack on democracy, this was a mob of idiots who got worked up but didn't know what to do once they got into the building because I don't think any of them actually expected to get that far.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
This is what we'll be talking about for a while. This pretty much shot dead the hopes that 2021 will not be such a trash fire as 2020, but we must keep hopes.

But I want to have a specific thread about the day. Our new 9/11, where the unthinkable once again happened on American Shores. But this time, the terror came from Americans.

So, Nation (and the rest of the World because we were a little loud in our disagreement), we're confronted with the truth of it. How has it affected you? How SHOULD it affect us all?
Personally i am not really surprised and most of those around me are neither.

The reputation of the US has tanked severely over the last couple of years and a bunch of Trump supporters trying to storm the Capitol to attack your congreass to avoid vote confirmation fits well in.

We have seen again and again things happen in the US that we never would thought possible in a developed country. Many of us think that the US is pretty close to a failed state because its system is fundamentally broken and it shows.

So we are not actually surprised.

But the good thing is that Biden has won. So the Trump lunatics are recognized as minority and not as representative of your average American.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
How does Trump having a second term benefit them in anyway.
Japan has an extremely conservative, nationalist government. One very conservative party has had a complete stranglehold on Japanese politics for 70 years now. Both the current and previous prime minister of Japan, as well as most of their cabinets, are also members of far right nationalist, neo-Imperialist organisations.

People in the West often don't realise quite how insanely right-wing and authoritarian Japan is. Japanese politics are far more closely aligned with people like Trump than with American liberals, let alone the American left.

There's also Trump's hostility towards China, which is likely to play well on anti-Chinese sentiment in Japan.

Reactions: Chimpzy

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I don't disagree that ignoring a festering wound is a mistake, but there are still right and wrong ways to take action, and I think you're advocating for the wrong action. By beating up on the people whose beliefs you think are dangerous, you're not only minimizing the chance they change their own mind, but you also make them sympathetic to people who might see them as your victim.

You can disagree with someone and pity them.
Kinda reminds me of the ending of Stargirl to be honest in the approach some seem to wish to take as the Injustice society wishes to reform America.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Personally i am not really surprised and most of those around me are neither.

The reputation of the US has tanked severely over the last couple of years and a bunch of Trump supporters trying to storm the Capitol to attack your congreass to avoid vote confirmation fits well in.

We have seen again and again things happen in the US that we never would thought possible in a developed country. Many of us think that the US is pretty close to a failed state because its system is fundamentally broken and it shows.

So we are not actually surprised.
Second that. Trump supporters storming the capitol doesn't seem like a big deal, because while technically it's new, it's just another appallingly stupid thing people in the US are doing. Is it 350,000 covid deaths in the US yet? That itself was less surprising after the lead in the water, constant police shootings, kids in cages stuff.

There will be another one in a week or two. I've got "Americans being evil" fatigue. And, before anyone says it, lots of problem in my own country, and lots of people here looking at the US news and shaking their heads rather than looking at local problems they could do something about.

So the Trump lunatics are recognized as minority and not as representative of your average American.
The numbers weren't that great between them, though.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
There's also Trump's hostility towards China, which is likely to play well on anti-Chinese sentiment in Japan.
This right here.

Those are more than likely people who are convinced that Biden will be a Pro-China, Pro-Korean, Anti-Japan President. People afraid of the inevitable rise of China on the world stage.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
This right here.

Those are more than likely people who are convinced that Biden will be a Pro-China, Pro-Korean, Anti-Japan President. People afraid of the inevitable rise of China on the world stage.
Why on earth would Biden be an anti-Japan president? Like, that is a notion I find very baffling.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I agree.

That's why, instead of feeding the delusion, you gotta squash it with overwhelming proof and evidence.
Y'know, things like audits, recounts, forensic investigations, things like that.
But you can't. This is what this discussion is about.

Also, transparency on the front-end would prevent conspiracy theories from getting off the ground. Don't go into secret back rooms and nobody will wonder what you're doing in that secret back room.
Transparency is good, but unless you replace all walls with glass, you will still have people claiming that everything they aren't a direct witness to is a manipulation.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Why on earth would Biden be an anti-Japan president? Like, that is a notion I find very baffling.
Why would Biden be basicly Stalin? Why would Obama be a secret muslim? See the pattern?