A Message to Those Unhappy With DmC

llew

Sep 9, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
AI got stuck on the boss fight in the first level. Who calls their difficulty settings Yellow and Gold with no explaination as to which is normal? At least I assume they were difficulty settings...
yeah they were not difficulty settings per say, just settings to decide how the yellow orbs work, Gold revives you from the exact point where you died, yellow revives you from the beginning of the room you died

llew

Sep 9, 2009
Ragsnstitches said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
Forget about the dumbass boycott and play the game. Of course once you play it, then make a judgement call. Really think you need to give something a chance, not hate it for changing your precious little Dante who will probably turn into the one you know and love as the game progresses.
Okay, that makes no sense... if you play the game, you've payed for it. The people who fund these games will only see this, not your opinion that follows.

I would recommend waiting until the reviews get out before deciding, and deciding on what to do then. Of course that would mean some folk will have to live without their collectors edition and pre-order bonuses.

OP: Personally I don't see whats wrong with DMC. If one thing is for certain, Dante has no standard character... each game depicts a different type of Dante:

DMC1: Dante is a generic badass with a rogue like sense of humour.

DMC2: Dante is a dry shite flat-as-a-pancake personality.

DMC3: Hyper Active, nails on chalkboard personality.

Never played DMC4.

Personally I can't see the beef with the current design. If I can still juggle a variety of uglies with a combination of blades and ballistics then that will be good for me.
the reason for the change of personality in DMC and DMC3 is that dante is young, barely an adult in DMC3 while he is an older, more mature man in DMC, DMC2 is apparently non-canon and stunk of horse shit so i dont care about that, and DMC4 was a more playful while staying mature dante because he is in love with trish

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
llew said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
Forget about the dumbass boycott and play the game. Of course once you play it, then make a judgement call. Really think you need to give something a chance, not hate it for changing your precious little Dante who will probably turn into the one you know and love as the game progresses.
Okay, that makes no sense... if you play the game, you've payed for it. The people who fund these games will only see this, not your opinion that follows.

I would recommend waiting until the reviews get out before deciding, and deciding on what to do then. Of course that would mean some folk will have to live without their collectors edition and pre-order bonuses.

OP: Personally I don't see whats wrong with DMC. If one thing is for certain, Dante has no standard character... each game depicts a different type of Dante:

DMC1: Dante is a generic badass with a rogue like sense of humour.

DMC2: Dante is a dry shite flat-as-a-pancake personality.

DMC3: Hyper Active, nails on chalkboard personality.

Never played DMC4.

Personally I can't see the beef with the current design. If I can still juggle a variety of uglies with a combination of blades and ballistics then that will be good for me.
the reason for the change of personality in DMC and DMC3 is that dante is young, barely an adult in DMC3 while he is an older, more mature man in DMC, DMC2 is apparently non-canon and stunk of horse shit so i dont care about that, and DMC4 was a more playful while staying mature dante because he is in love with trish
Yeah, but he's inconsistent. It's not like the DMC series is a drama, it's an action genre. Consistency of personality is important. Dante is all over the place in the series...

Take God of War as an alternative. Angry Spartan in 1, Angry god of war in 2, Angry god hunter in 3. His motivations and investments change in each game, but his character is the same.

In each game Dante feels like a totally different character made by an unimaginative concept artist (different character but similar design).

flyingwithsharks

Nov 6, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
We need Human May Cry.

You play as Vergil instead.

Because Vergil is better.
Definitely. DMC3:SE would have been a lot better if Vergil's campaign wasn't just Dante's with some different abilities.

OT: I'm actually going to buy DmC. Changing things isn't always bad; if everything stayed the same eventually we would just get tired of it. And honestly, DmC Dante can't be any worse than Nero.

[sub]Seriously, fuck you Nero.[/sub]

Jun 11, 2008
Em you are aware this is still just basically a boycott? You may not be boycotting in the sense of Capcom but you are still boycotting the product.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
So your advice is that we send Capcom the message that rather than pay for new products we'd rather hand them over money for the same stuff they released years ago?

I can see no way that this could backfire...*cough cough*Street Fighter Eleventy Billion Hundred Super Turbo Fun-Time*cough splutter dead*

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I preferred the plan to preorder DmC then cancel it. I already bought the DMC HD collection.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Shawn MacDonald said:
Once you play it they already have your money. It's a little late to after that to try using your money to send a message.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
All I can say is that when Cole's new look in Infamous 2 was revealed early to the public, there was a huge outcry to change it because it didn't suit the character to go through such a radical change. I doubt that if Cole's new look remained with the game, there would be little difference to the gameplay.

Seeing new screen shots it seems that the same is going to happen with Dante (new look, similar game mechanics). So I'm not a 'huge' fan of Devil May Cry, but I did enjoy the games, and if this look is really going to be a let down to some people, then they should rally together to either change it, or deliver a message to the publisher by not supporting/purchasing the game, in hopes that there will be some patch/DLC that changes that.

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
Buying something else by Capcom wont really show em, youve got to either not buy anything or buy something of their competitors.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
Naw. This is the first time I've had any genuine interest in the DMC series (much to the chagrin of my DMC friends).

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
I'm looking forward to DMC. The moving geometric landscape in that one trailer seems incredibly awesome, Dante while a prick seems more like some teenager so I hope they do something with the more lighthearted setting and Dante getting his smug ass handed to him. I'm probably gonna pick it up.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
DigitalAtlas said:
...But that'd still be supporting Capcom.
ablac said:
Buying something else by Capcom wont really show em, youve got to either not buy anything or buy something of their competitors.
rob_simple said:
So your advice is that we send Capcom the message that rather than pay for new products we'd rather hand them over money for the same stuff they released years ago?

I can see no way that this could backfire...*cough cough*Street Fighter Eleventy Billion Hundred Super Turbo Fun-Time*cough splutter dead*
I don't want Devil May Cry to go away, which is the likely result of a simple boycott. If this doesn't sell and there are no other factors at play, then they'll likely just cut the series and that'll be all she wrote for Dante, period. However, by supporting the HD release, it would show that there is a demand for Devil May Cry, just not for Ninja Theory's Devil may Cry.

Also to those say I'm whining or trying to convince people or whatever, I'm really not. I'm just trying to provide a direction for those who have already committed to this specific stance on the title. If you, or anyone else, wants DmC, more power to you.

Also, it is true that DMC is all about gameplay. Only, when I look at DmC, I see Heavenly Sword with DMC combos mixed in. The flow isn't there. There's a noticeable lag between the attacks that would get you killed in past games. The focus on air attacks noticeably makes combat less fluid, as well. Not to mention the emphasis on platforming, though that's more of a unique gripe on my part.

I will rent this when it comes out, and if it denies my expectations, I'll even buy it, but as I see it now, I can't get behind it. Instead of sitting around and complaining on the internet, I'm proposing a possible solution for those who came to the same conclusion as myself.

Candescence

Jan 7, 2011
The fans have been over Donte's appearance for a year, now. It's nearly everything else that they now they take issue with - dumbed-down gameplay that's a clone of Heavenly Sword (which in turn was a God of War clone), the downright idiotic attitudes of the developers (Tameem needs to be punched repeatedly in the face, the smug bastard), the game engine being locked to 30FPS, no actual style whatsoever, Donte's fighting style looking like a butchered copycat of Nero, terrible humor, the terrible approach at trying to be 'edgy' and 'underground', the topical, political aspects of the plot that'll inevitably become dated in a few years... Oh, and the fact that all of Ninja Theory's games to date have bombed hard and they really should be better off trying to be filmakers rather than game developers.

The shifting environments thing seems interesting, but even that will be marred by the typical UE3 vaseline filter.

The list goes on. I'm not the only person who thinks this way. It looks like shit, it smells like shit, it probably will be shit.

And yes, I have been calling 'him' Donte. That disgusting, stupid-looking asshole is /not Dante/. Enzo couldn't even be bothered to steal Dante's actual clothes this time.

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but it kinda had to be said. Could've done with less swearing, but, eh.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Zeromaeus said:
I don't want Devil May Cry to go away, which is the likely result of a simple boycott. If this doesn't sell and there are no other factors at play, then they'll likely just cut the series and that'll be all she wrote for Dante, period. However, by supporting the HD release, it would show that there is a demand for Devil May Cry, just not for Ninja Theory's Devil may Cry.
This will never happen, though, because I guarantee you the average consumer as well as the people who will buy the new DmC on the strength of brand recognition far outweigh the purists who think it should stay true to it's roots and would be willing to boycott it, (although I'm not entirely sure what these roots are, given that it's been one of the most inconsistent series in recent memory).

The simple fact is that the people who really care about this are in the minority and what you are proposing will, at best, simply give the new game slightly reduced sales and the HD collection a boost in sales; meaning Capcom is unlikely to draw any correlation between the two.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Zeromaeus said:
DigitalAtlas said:
...But that'd still be supporting Capcom.
ablac said:
rob_simple said:

Also to those say I'm whining or trying to convince people or whatever, I'm really not. I'm just trying to provide a direction for those who have already committed to this specific stance on the title. If you, or anyone else, wants DmC, more power to you.

Also, it is true that DMC is all about gameplay. Only, when I look at DmC, I see Heavenly Sword with DMC combos mixed in. The flow isn't there. There's a noticeable lag between the attacks that would get you killed in past games. The focus on air attacks noticeably makes combat less fluid, as well. Not to mention the emphasis on platforming, though that's more of a unique gripe on my part.

I will rent this when it comes out, and if it denies my expectations, I'll even buy it, but as I see it now, I can't get behind it. Instead of sitting around and complaining on the internet, I'm proposing a possible solution for those who came to the same conclusion as myself.
>Read as far as "I don't want DMC to go away"

I don't, but I sure as hell want CAPCOM to go away. Far far away.

Besides, Hideki Kamiya would likely pickup the rights to the series if Capcom dissolved.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
rob_simple said:
(although I'm not entirely sure what these roots are, given that it's been one of the most inconsistent series in recent memory).
His hair isn't white. People are pissed.

Otherwise, yes, you're right. Because the franchise has been passed around Capcom like a whore around a college campus, it's been incredibly inconsistent with huge changes from title to title in gameplay, art, and story. Honestly, the hate DmC is getting is the most forgivable "crime" committed by Capcom, mainly because it isn't one. Ninja Theory is doing great and people need to GIVE THEM CREDIT for being the only Western dev to actually TRY to make action games, and good ones at that. Plus, how do you know that they're butchering everything if you know nothing of the story? For all we know the opening cutscene is Dante dyeing his hair black to avoid looking like his father and we'll get a look of the internal struggle the character should have in this alternate universe.

In short, shut up. I don't like Capcom, so I'm getting this one used and at a cheap price. You should play the game before complaining about it.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
DigitalAtlas said:
rob_simple said:
(although I'm not entirely sure what these roots are, given that it's been one of the most inconsistent series in recent memory).
His hair isn't white. People are pissed.

Otherwise, yes, you're right. Because the franchise has been passed around Capcom like a whore around a college campus, it's been incredibly inconsistent with huge changes from title to title in gameplay, art, and story. Honestly, the hate DmC is getting is the most forgivable "crime" committed by Capcom, mainly because it isn't one. Ninja Theory is doing great and people need to GIVE THEM CREDIT for being the only Western dev to actually TRY to make action games, and good ones at that.
So now he looks like a Linkin Park fan instead of a particularly violent old lady, yeah pass the pitchforks.

I'm not familiar with any of Ninja Theory's previous games, but I've enjoyed all the previous DMC's precisely because, as you say, they are always changing --sometimes for better, sometimes for worse-- so I'm keen to see what they do with it. And, as another particularly enlightened user pointed out, I plan to wait and see how the game reviews, take it for a spin myself when the demo drops, then decide if it sucks or not.