A Message to Those Unhappy With DmC

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Meh, the series needs something fresh to keep it going. By the end of Devil May Cry 4 Dante is far too overpowered, the story had gotten convoluted as fuck and bringing in Nero as Dante's nephew/half-brother/reincarnated brother/whatever didn't help the convolutedness at all.

Following DMC4 with more of the same would've been worse for the series overall than trying what Ninja Theory are trying with DmC. And I say all this as someone who was just as pissed as all the other DMC fans when this was first announced.

Sangreal Gothcraft

Feb 28, 2011
Yeah i will buy the new DmC i don't care for the style, it looks cool and what not so i will buy it, at least they did not pull a DMC 4..

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
rob_simple said:
[
That doesn't change the fact that, at the time of that videos release, people were making bold decisions based on nothing other than speculation, which the developer was right to completely dismiss.
fun fact: i wasn't one of them, when the first videos came out i was still willing to give the game a chance.

Oh and I've seen the gameplay footage, too, and it looks absolutely fine. Different, perhaps, but that doesn't make it a bad thing. So this is more about personal butthurt than the game actually being rubbish which, again, we still don't know because no one has played it yet.
right ... so we should all just be ok with the unnecessary reboot? um no, go ahead call me a 'but hurt fanboy' but this thing is not a Devil May Cry, its a poser

But yeah, go ahead and don't buy it without ever even trying it, I'm sure you and the half a dozen other people who actually stick to this will make a significant dent in Capcom's profit margins.
this is one of those things i don't need to try to know i won't like, the Dante i like is gone, replaced with some kid who angry all the time with a foul mouth, yeah, like we needed another angry, foul mouthed anti-hero running around.

you have fun with your cheap knock off trying to pass as the real deal though. just remember, when it fails, i told you so

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
rob_simple said:
[
That doesn't change the fact that, at the time of that videos release, people were making bold decisions based on nothing other than speculation, which the developer was right to completely dismiss.
fun fact: i wasn't one of them, when the first videos came out i was still willing to give the game a chance.
It still renders your statement about Ninja Theory not caring about the fans or being arrogant false and irrelevant.

Oh and I've seen the gameplay footage, too, and it looks absolutely fine. Different, perhaps, but that doesn't make it a bad thing. So this is more about personal butthurt than the game actually being rubbish which, again, we still don't know because no one has played it yet.
right ... so we should all just be ok with the unnecessary reboot? um no, go ahead call me a 'but hurt fanboy' but this thing is not a Devil May Cry, its a poser
Sorry, but almost every game in the Devil May Cry series could be seen as a reboot: DMC2 had nothing to do with the first game and had a completely different atmosphere; DMC3 was a prequel which is only one step above reboots in the order of things; and the fourth game had you playing as a completely different protagonist for half the game (a choice which, funnily enough, I remember fanboys pissing and moaning about at the time, again before the game had been released).

But yeah, go ahead and don't buy it without ever even trying it, I'm sure you and the half a dozen other people who actually stick to this will make a significant dent in Capcom's profit margins.
this is one of those things i don't need to try to know i won't like, the Dante i like is gone, replaced with some kid who angry all the time with a foul mouth, yeah, like we needed another angry, foul mouthed anti-hero running around.
This actually made me laugh out loud, Dante has never been anything other than a wiseass with that classic XTREME attitude that dominated 90's cartoons. Yeah he's cool, but also completely one-dimensional, which is why I can't grasp people being upset about not seeing him portrayed the same way.

Don't play the game if you don't want to, I'm not here to tell you what you like, but anyone who says a game will be bad --which I appreciate is different from saying you won't like it-- without even playing it is a dipshit.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
rob_simple said:
This actually made me laugh out loud, Dante has never been anything other than a wiseass with that classic XTREME attitude that dominated 90's cartoons. Yeah he's cool, but also completely one-dimensional, which is why I can't grasp people being upset about not seeing him portrayed the same way.
that was ironically his charm far as I'm concerned. yeah he was one dimensional, but he was fun, and more over looked like he was having fun. it worth remember not every character NEEDS to be 'deep' to be liked, or have people be pissed about when they change them for no reason. Dante is one of them, we don't want 'added depth' we want him being impossibly bad ass and being a smart ass the whole time. not angry and brooding, which as a fun fact, is just as shallow as Dante's 'i'm just that awesome' attitude.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
rob_simple said:
that was ironically his charm far as I'm concerned. yeah he was one dimensional, but he was fun, and more over looked like he was having fun. it worth remember not every character NEEDS to be 'deep' to be liked, or have people be pissed about when they change them for no reason. Dante is one of them, we don't want 'added depth' we want him being impossibly bad ass and being a smart ass the whole time. not angry and brooding, which as a fun fact, is just as shallow as Dante's 'i'm just that awesome' attitude.
How about we've had four games of a shallow badass Dante and it would be nice to, potentially, see some change? Here's the thing, champ, this universal 'we' you refer to doesn't represent the entire DMC fanbase. For every one of you that go 'baww we want the old Dante back' there are several other people willing to give this new game a chance and, I don't know, maybe play the damn thing before casting the series out to sea on a burning longboat.

I personally like my characters to have depth no matter what kind of game I'm playing, and I would like to see a Dante with a fleshed out backstory and motivations like we very nearly had in the first game. This may or may not happen in the new game, I don't know because yet again I feel the need to point out that without playing the game, neither you or I have any way of saying how the story will turn out for certain.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I would like to point out that the hatred for Tameem is based on more than just that one statement at the beginning. Really, it was just the first major instance of him being... Tameem. Pretty much every time he's spoken about the game, he's done so in a way that seemed geared specifically toward angering the people that didn't want a reboot. From little things like saying that the old Dante would get laughed out of a bar while the new one wouldn't, to slightly bigger things like saying that despite the 30FPS limit the game will be smoother than all of the past DMC games AND Bayonetta.

hoboman29

Jul 5, 2011
I see too many things like this too often (though not usually as practical and constructive great work) if people don't want to buy a game for any reason they should just not buy it if they don't like it that much.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Already own the originals... Don't like a thing I've seen of the "new installment"... sick of Capcom for their business practices over the last few releases and the copious amounts of DLC released with the damn games...

Sooooo... nope. Not buying it, not buying the HD collection... we'll see after that.

Well stated post though, kudos.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Zeromaeus said:
From little things like saying that the old Dante would get laughed out of a bar while the new one wouldn't, to slightly bigger things like saying that despite the 30FPS limit the game will be smoother than all of the past DMC games AND Bayonetta.
Oh please, that's just a flippant remark, the guy is talking about two fictional characters; it's absolutely no reason to doubt the guys chops as a developer. This whole thing is starting to sound incredibly childish, I wouldn't be surprised to find Tameem says things like that precisely because it gets fanboys panties in a bunch and, let's face it, winding fanboys up is hilarious.

Maybe the guy is a bit arrogant but you know what? So is Quentin Tarantino, and despite being heavily derivative, he has created some of the best films ever made. You judge an artist by his work, not his personality, and maybe the game will be smoother --it's not impossible (and it looks damn good in the trailers I've seen)-- but we don't know becaaaaause...

We. Haven't. Played. It. Yet.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
rob_simple said:
How about we've had four games of a shallow badass Dante and it would be nice to, potentially, see some change? Here's the thing, champ, this universal 'we' you refer to doesn't represent the entire DMC fanbase. For every one of you that go 'baww we want the old Dante back' there are several other people willing to give this new game a chance and, I don't know, maybe play the damn thing before casting the series out to sea on a burning longboat.
yeah, i donno why i threw 'we' in there when i can really only speak for my self :/ I'm usually better then that.

anyway, there's a difference between adding depth, and drastically changing the character to the point their aren't the same any more.

I personally like my characters to have depth no matter what kind of game I'm playing, and I would like to see a Dante with a fleshed out backstory and motivations like we very nearly had in the first game. This may or may not happen in the new game, I don't know because yet again I feel the need to point out that without playing the game, neither you or I have any way of saying how the story will turn out for certain.
and they needed to reboot the series and piss off the fan base ..... why again? with in the confines of the canon set in 1-4 they could have STILL done what your saying and NOT caused the uproar they did. the reboot is totally unnecessary, the redesign is even less necessary.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
An unneeded reboot of a franchise which i love, in the hands of pretentious douchebags manipulated by Capcpom themselves?Hmm.....

Not sure really

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
yeah, i donno why i threw 'we' in there when i can really only speak for my self :/ I'm usually better then that.

anyway, there's a difference between adding depth, and drastically changing the character to the point their aren't the same any more.
That's fair enough, we all slip up from time to time.

There is a difference, I grant you, but I still haven't seen enough footage of the new Dante to make up my mind as to how he'll be in the new game. Again, though, I would point out there will be just as many people who'd like to see a new Dante as there are who wouldn't, and twice as many of both sitting in the middle who really couldn't care less what he acts like and just like to play fun, new games.

and they needed to reboot the series and piss off the fan base ..... why again? with in the confines of the canon set in 1-4 they could have STILL done what your saying and NOT caused the uproar they did. the reboot is totally unnecessary, the redesign is even less necessary.
I'm not trying to piss you off here, but I absolutely love when people talk about what's 'canon' in regards to a Capcom series. The guys flat out fucking suck at story-telling, just look at the abysmal Resident Evil plot for proof of that.

I've played through all of the previous DMC's in their entirety and there was nowhere near enough of a consistent plot to justify calling DmC a reboot. I mean, you can't reboot a story when there was hardly any damn story there to begin with.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
rob_simple said:
Lunar Templar said:

That's fair enough, we all slip up from time to time.

There is a difference, I grant you, but I still haven't seen enough footage of the new Dante to make up my mind as to how he'll be in the new game. Again, though, I would point out there will be just as many people who'd like to see a new Dante as there are who wouldn't, and twice as many of both sitting in the middle who really couldn't care less what he acts like and just like to play fun, new games.

I'm not trying to piss you off here, but I absolutely love when people talk about what's 'canon' in regards to a Capcom series. The guys flat out fucking suck at story-telling, just look at the abysmal Resident Evil plot for proof of that.
hehe, yeah there is that, but stay with me here. (and RE sucks anyway, least pick a GOOD series :p)

I've played through all of the previous DMC's in their entirety and there was nowhere near enough of a consistent plot to justify calling DmC a reboot. I mean, you can't reboot a story when there was hardly any damn story there to begin with.
but there is still enough to make the 'need' to rewrite bewildering. like ...
the fact they made him angel/demon. (which just sounds lame btw)
now, this might not strike you as silly, but its been stated as fact, several times, Dante is half human and half demon, with his mother being human, and that his mothers murder at the hands (claws?) of demons is why he's a hunter, and, cause he was awesome to, Virgil was the way he was in 3. even with that little bit there is still a LOT to work with, a lot of places back story wise they could have gone.

hell they could a made a game about Virgil to flush him out some more as well as Dante's back story. (was pretty clear Virgil was the stronger of the two at the start of 3) can't tell me a game about Virgil wouldn't sell

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Zeromaeus said:
From little things like saying that the old Dante would get laughed out of a bar while the new one wouldn't
You just had to say it...

(and yes I do have to post this picture everytime someone mentions it)

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
I agree, there is enough there to work with that a reboot wasn't exactly necessary, but I guess the developers felt that since the series isn't heavily story-based, most people wouldn't really care if Dante suddenly became half angel, half demon (I actually think that's kind of cool, but it's just a personal taste.)

I'm just glad that for once in recent news a dev hasn't rolled over just to appease a very minor --but very vocal-- part of the gaming community. While it is a shame that people are so upset about this, at the same time I think it would be extremely unfair to encourage a boycott of what could potentially be a really good game in it's own right just because some fans of the old games are unhappy.

If you want to declare the whole thing non-canon that's fine and I'm not saying you should like the game just because I say so, all I'm asking is that you at least wait until a demo is available to at least try playing it before cursing it to the ninth generation and telling everyone not to buy it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
rob_simple said:
Lunar Templar said:
I agree, there is enough there to work with that a reboot wasn't exactly necessary, but I guess the developers felt that since the series isn't heavily story-based, most people wouldn't really care if Dante suddenly became half angel, half demon (I actually think that's kind of cool, but it's just a personal taste.)
my problem with the new breeding, apart from all the other stuff i mentioned, stems for 'hows that even WORK'. only way that comes to mind is some one was raped, which given the tone of the game, seems likely, but also conflicts with Sparda (assuming that's still his dad) being a 'good man', but i digress, since we'll be going round in circles here soon

I'm just glad that for once in recent news a dev hasn't rolled over just to appease a very minor --but very vocal-- part of the gaming community. While it is a shame that people are so upset about this, at the same time I think it would be extremely unfair to encourage a boycott of what could potentially be a really good game in it's own right just because some fans of the old games are unhappy.
as much as 'disapprove' of the changes, i have to agree. part of me is glad they have stayed the course, thanks to ME3 (as much as I'd like to see the course die in a fire)

If you want to declare the whole thing non-canon that's fine and I'm not saying you should like the game just because I say so, all I'm asking is that you at least wait until a demo is available to at least try playing it before cursing it to the ninth generation and telling everyone not to buy it.
assuming the demo comes to steam, or they even release one. but DMC 3 SE and 4 are on steam so i don't see why this wouldn't be as well.