A Question for all you Global Warming skeptics

Nightcraft66

Mar 22, 2011
Rex Fallout said:
The Earth goes through cycles, it gets hot, then it gets cold, then it gets hot, then it gets... I think you get the idea.

What do you think the Ice Age was? "Ugh those darn cave men drivin their hummers about and ruining out planet!"
The Ice Age and Global Warming are two completely different things.
It's been proven that in the past 100-110 years, Human Activity, whether that be mass deforestation or burning of fossil fuels have drastically peaked CO2 levels in the atmosphere.
It's also been proven that more CO2 = more infrared radiation that can't escape through the atmosphere (heating basically...)

So taking this into account, "it gets hot, it gets cold" is true, but add human activity, through burning of fossil fuels, and you get "it gets hotter, it gets colder" We do not effect the climate directly, it doesn't change the cycle of getting hot and then cooling, we just speed this up by pumping CO2 into the atmosphere.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
It's snowing in MAY... after the harshest winter in Minnesota records for decades. I'm starting to have my doubts about global warming... more to the point, even if it is happening what can I really do about it? Especially when at any point a volcano can erupt and undo all of our green efforts from the past several years in a matter of days.

BlueSinbad

Oct 18, 2010
I believe it's happening definitely but it's not having as much of a current affect as people are ranting about, plus the whole ice caps melting is like a ice cube in a drink melting, where it doesn't really have as much of an effect as everyone thinks, but also hell yes I think we should be stopping it from happening...that's contribution :)

BlueSinbad

Oct 18, 2010
I believe it's happening definitely but it's not having as much of a current affect as people are ranting about, plus the whole ice caps melting is like a ice cube in a drink melting, where it doesn't really have as much of an effect as everyone thinks, but also hell yes I think we should be stopping it from happening...that's contribution :)

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Rosetta said:
uro vii said:
Rosetta said:
You do realise that the second ice age ended over a billion years ago? Also read what I post, its the science. And yes, increased fresh water in the sea resulting from the melting of the polar caps would halt the flow of the oceanic belts which would cause an ice age.
Yes, global warming does indeed sound as though an ice age would occur.

This thread was worth that laugh alone.
I'm sorry, is the science only right when it supports your opinion?
What part of global warming reads 'ice age' to you?

Does ice come about from a rising temperature now?

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha.[/quote]

Okay, you can sod right off.

Did you read the part about not being an arse with your opinion? Heed it.

ShadowLord180

Nov 10, 2009
Rosetta said:
There have been 6 major extinctions wherein the majority of the Earth's life died that we humans know of. All of them happened before we were here and all of them happened due to massive climate change. The ice age was the most recent.

Humans do not affect the climate.

The Earth will cool and warm long, long after we go extinct and the cycle of life and death will be unaffected.

The hippies are wrong. The science is right.
I agree with this completely (and you can see plenty of actual science backing this up if you read 'State of Fear' by Michael Crichton) but I do think that we should be trying to 'go green' because while I believe global warming is utter nonsense, there are a myriad of other things that humanity is doing that have substantial adverse effects on the environment.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Rosetta said:
There have been 6 major extinctions wherein the majority of the Earth's life died that we humans know of. All of them happened before we were here and all of them happened due to massive climate change. The ice age was the most recent.

The Earth will cool and warm long, long after we go extinct and the cycle of life and death will be unaffected.
I agree with most of this, though I think it is hard to say that all we do is not changing it at all

I just have problem with anyone wishing to "close the debate".

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
TheRealCJ said:
But my question is thus: You may not believe it's truly happening, but why are you so against preventative measures to stop it happening in the future? Surely you'd agree that to stop it from happening 100 years from now, which is entirely plausible, there should be some preventative measures taken now.
First of all, for the intelligent opposition, it isn't the existence of global warming we doubt. What we doubt is the cause. Actual research into global warming causes is done in very flawed methods that fail to test for the many confounding variables. And furthermore, my personal opposition to the global warming people isn't their interest in furthering research into alternative and cleaner-burning fuels, if indeed that is their goal at all - something else I genuinely doubt.
No, my opposition comes to all the bullshit that goes into it. Al Gore, who is essentially the poster child of this movement, is a fucking fear-monger, discarding fact and scientific rigor in favor of making a political point and garnering followers; followers who have gone on to interfere with the scientific process by hunting out Spanish Inquisition style any who even dare to suggest that Gore's position might not be correct. The thing that sickens me the most, though, is that it's all needless. You don't need some bullshit about saving the world to give people a reason to do all the things Gore is trying to push. Just the many benefits to human health are enough, but instead of sticking to the things that all rational and logical people would go for, he gives blowjobs to the environmental special interest groups so that they will continue to fund his political campaigns.

You know what? Read this: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1300661/posts Probably the best article on why the global warming political movement is a totally fucked up piece of shit.

Jack Skelhon

Mar 19, 2010
TheRealCJ said:
but why are you so against preventative measures to stop it happening in the future??
I am a sceptic towards the concept of global warming for a simple reason; I think we'll run out of resources before we even get that far, and that'll perform the apocalypse for us.

Fact of the matter is, your statement is a generalisation. I'm not against preventative measures at all, but I am against screaming my argument from the rooftops and telling everyone to go green without any solid evidence to back myself up. Global Warming is still a theory, and while there isn't any solid counter-evidence either, I'd rather concentrate on the fact rather than theory.

Ok, maybe there will be sea level rises in the next fifty years. Within that time we'll be out of coal, oil, gold, silver, copper, diamond, silicon and well on our way to having no more gas as well.

Frankly, I can see a lot more logic in resource preservation, changing lifestyles and alternative energy as a device to save our economies and general social fabric than using Global Warming as a hypothesis to push those solutions.

tl;dr: Ignore Al Gore, concentrate on dwindling reserves of resources.

Yes, I'm a geography student.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
You know what? Read this: http://s8int.com/crichton.html Probably the best article on why the global warming political movement is a totally fucked up piece of shit.
Calling these ideas and opinions "Totally fucked up peice of shit" really isn't helping your "I'm the intelligent opposition" angle.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Rosetta said:

The hippies are wrong. The science is right.
I'm going to have to go with this. Some people just look at recent science of temperatures going up and other things changing. But that's not giving a whole picture; you need to look at ALL of the science and see that this is going to happen regardless of what we do.

As for all that "going green" stuff; stop pretending it's about global warming and saving the environment. It's about trying to save ourselves and making shitloads of money off hippies.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
GWarface said:
Sure, global warming is real.. A more fitting name would be "solar system warming" since its the whole solar system that is warming up, even melting some of the ice moons of.. Jupiter as far as i remember..

So to sum it up, global warming is real, but WE ARE NOT THE REASON! Is a solar cycle.. It heats up, it cools down, heats up, cools down etc etc..

And since its a cycle that we havent got anything to do with, i pity the fools that thinks we can actually make a difference..

Sure, dont chug beer-cans and bubblegum paper around in nature.. Its a pretty good rule.. But dont think it will cool down the entire solar system...
Another point we "arrogant" humans need to spot. Is 20-30 years of cold and hot ups and downs.

Mean nothing.

The planet is billions of years old, 20-30 years couldn't show a real change in anything. It's like seeing if someone is prematurely aging by watching them for a microsecond.

Oh don't forget the northern lights the good old aurora borealis the so called hole in the ooze that existed since human history was recorded, yet we made it only with the last 100 years of industry.

Oh and how it fluctuates as well, and we only freak about the "loss" but never report the equal regaining.

All for nature and protecting it, not for lies, misinformation to fund scientists.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Rosetta said:
TheRealCJ said:
Okay, you can sod right off.
Maturity at its finest.
You're right, I should have just laughed maniacally and completely ignored what the poster I was replying to was trying to explain.

Much more mature.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Elcarsh said:
TheRealCJ said:
Calling these ideas and opinions "Totally fucked up peice of shit" really isn't helping your "I'm the intelligent opposition" angle.

...but telling people to, and I quote, "sod right off" is strengthening your argument immensely.

Have you read what this guy is posting?

"HAHAHAHAAHAHA Your SCIENCE IS WRONG.*

*I have no argument to back that up, even though you do. But I'm still totally right".

How is that promoting discussion? Or doing anything but trolling?

Jul 13, 2010
Rosetta said:
What part of global warming reads 'ice age' to you?

Does ice come about from a rising temperature now?

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
I think I explained it fairly clearly to you already, but since you seemed unable to actually understand that, let me make it simple.
1) The Earth heats up.
2) The polar caps begin to melt as a result of the increased temperature
3) There is an increase in fresh water in the oceans as a result of melting ice caps
4) The average density of the ocean water changes as salt water and fresh water have different densities
5) The underwater belts which control the flow of water in the oceans slow down and eventually stop as a result of the change in density
6) There is no longer hot water moving from the equator to towards the poles as the belts have stopped
7) A dramatic drop in temperature in the Northern and Southern regions of the Earth as a result of the lack of warm ocean water
8) Ice age

There have already been multiple cases of ocean life dying of hyperthermia near Northern as a result of the decrease in ocean temperature in the North.