A question for PC Gamers. Why all the hostility towards console gamers/gaming?

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Mcoffey said:
MHR said:
Mcoffey said:
MHR said:
First of all, I don't blame Rockstar for delaying GTA V PC release until a bit later. This game would've been pirated to hell and at the very least this will get more people to buy the console release rather than pirate on PC for free.

But for the PC in general, PC gamers act superior because the PC is superior. You can't expect such a crowd to go around acting humble all the time, especially when there are so many console kiddies that would insist consoles are "where it's at."
The game still got pirated to hell! It always would have been pirated to hell even if it never came out on PCs.
To say that consoles would pirate it more than PCs is a lie. Both pirate, but PC does it way more because it's much easier and popular.
You got some anything to back that up? I'm seeing conjecture, but not a lot of proof.

It's irrelevant anyway. It was always going to happen and there was never a moment where they could do anything to stop it.
http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-games-of-2011-111230/

PC's have roughly 3 times the piracy rate as described in that article.

And from page 4 of this bit on piracy; http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_4.html

"Piracy of the PC versions is orders of magnitude above that of the console versions in the cases we examined. For example Call of Duty 4 has five times as many downloads on the PC version as it does on the XBox 360 and PS3 versions combined."

Even the big console release is getting PC-pirated way more. Don't kid yourself. The piracy is not irrelevant. Nobody is trying to stop piracy, but delaying the PC release is a common-sense way to help diminish it. PC is where most of the piracy is and I'm glad GTA V is delaying it even if I don't get to play it for a few months. It'll get a few more people to cough up at the very least. PC is the better platform, but PC gamers are causing most of the piracy problems themselves.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Because Microsoft, Sony and even Nintendo pay developers and publishers more money than a single person could hope to see in their lifetime, for an exclusive title. They stifle creativity just so they can say "You can only play 'X' on our console and none other!"

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
Arina Love said:
In my case
i don't care about
"large library" that doesn't have any games that i'm interested in.
For me PS3 is subjectively better platform for games.
Do I need to tell you what the definition of objective is? You seem to know what subjective means. What you prefer does not necessarily mean better nor worse. If you prefer something, then it means it's better subjectively, meaning pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.

Objective means: not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.

PC gaming is objectively because of the shear amount of freedom and options it allows. Just because you prefer something else, doesn't make the statement false, nor you for having that preference.

A 8 oz porterhouse steak is objectively better than a whopper from Burger King, but I prefer to have the whopper from time to time.

A Lamborghini is objectively better than my Mazda 3 sedan, but it doesn't stop me from liking it.

Need I go on?
That shear amount of freedom and options it allows benefit is subjective, gaming platform all about what games it can play everything else is irrelevant. Fact is PC doesn't have games some people want to play, theretofore making it inferior platform for these people.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Desert Punk said:
There are approximately 12.5 million pirates WORLD WIDE across all the systems.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawoollacott/2013/05/15/finally-some-objective-figures-on-games-piracy/

And yes, Rockstar are dipshits for delaying the release of GTA for the PC. If it had been released alongside its lesser versions I would have bought it, now I will kick back and watch a LP of it and not waste my money.
from that same article; "Console games are much harder to pirate than PC versions, as the console hardware needs to be modified."

If I were Rockstar I'd be doing the same thing.

PCs are better for most things, which is why I run a PC exlusively and forget about the consoles, but piracy isn't one of those things.

Tarrker

Jun 18, 2008
T_ConX said:
Why is PC the mustard race?

The only people who say that PC gamers have anger issues toward console gamers are console gamers. Most PC Gamers can easily afford a console or two if they really want one. I know I do.

Is this about GTAV? Because if it is, I'll tell you straight...

I wanted it on PC. I really, truly did.

It's not a matter of 'I won't be able to play it if it's not on PC'. No, it's 'I could easily play it on my EIGHT YEAR OLD XBOX 360, but I'd rather play it on my custom built beast of a desktop.'

Why?
Who are you talking about? I know tons of guys who love their "PC" but they sure as hell can't afford to go around buying consoles. I suppose it's different depending on where you live, though. But I'm still trying to save up for a GTX 650 card just so I can play freaking Space Hulk and Natural Selection 2. I'm sure as heck not gonna waste my money on a PS4, or whatever, when my computer already does everything that I would want from a console even without the upgrade.

I do, however, agree with you on one thing. This us and them attitude is just absurd. I don't know anyone (outside of internet assdom) who is all like "PC gaming pride. WOOO!". If I had the money to burn on a new console as well as upgrades for my machine, I would spend that money in a heartbeat and be happy about it.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Arina Love said:
That shear amount of freedom and options it allows is subjective, gaming platform all about what games it can play everything else is irrelevant. Fact is PC doesn't have games some people want to play, theretofore being inferior platform for these people.
And what games people want to play is subjective, so the argument that "X platform doesn't have X game, therefore Platform Y is better" is a subjective argument.

Having the options and freedom to essentially do what you want with games, free or restriction makes it objectively better. Game preference has no argument when it comes to objectivity because what games people like is purely SUBJECTIVE.

To continue to hammer it into your brain. When debating superiority in an objective debate what AN INDIVIDUAL PREFERS IS SUBJECTIVE. Strip away the games, and look purely at hardware capabilities of all platforms as a potential platform for games, PC gaming wins. No question.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
Arina Love said:
That shear amount of freedom and options it allows is subjective, gaming platform all about what games it can play everything else is irrelevant. Fact is PC doesn't have games some people want to play, theretofore being inferior platform for these people.
And what games people want to play is subjective, so the argument that "X platform doesn't have X game, therefore Platform Y is better" is a subjective argument.

Having the options and freedom to essentially do what you want with games, free or restriction makes it objectively better. Game preference has no argument when it comes to objectivity because what games people like is purely SUBJECTIVE.

To continue to hammer it into your brain. When debating superiority in an objective debate what AN INDIVIDUAL PREFERS IS SUBJECTIVE. Strip away the games, and look purely at hardware capabilities of all platforms as a potential platform for games, PC gaming wins. No question.
You can't strip away games from argument, hardware capabilities means nothing for gaming platform without games. Just as i said before there are no platforms objectively better because 1 platform cannot play all games. Hardware is irrelevant.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Flowen said:
If more PC players just said "that's cool, I prefer PC" and moved on, the world would be a better place.
That's hardly ever the issue though. Yeah, it's "cool" if someone doesn't want to put effort into building and maintaining a PC (or simply buying a new one every 5 years if they have lots of disposable income). It's "cool" if they prefer the feel of console games (whatever that means). But it's a problem that the console market they're supporting is dragging down the entire games industry with its bad, consumer-disrespecting profit-centric nonsense. When someone tries to do that to the PC crowd, the PC crowd tells them to fuck off and finds another service/sales center/etc. When Microsoft does it to Xbox users, they have no choice but to continue eating shit - they can't use their xbox to "go to a different site" to buy games from. They're locked in, they're rigidly controlled. They pay the price for their freedom, and while I could care less that they're eating shit, them willfully continuing to eat shit is actually spilling over and promoting that shit-serving mentality to publishers everywhere, and it's hurting all of us who enjoy playing video games.

I had no qualms with any consoles back in the 90s and early 00s; prices were high, but you had very little bullshit to deal with. The games "Just Worked," you didn't have to fuck with them to upgrade pieces and parts, you never had to look up game specs to see if your console could run it, they had great multiplayer focus without going out of their way to gouge every cent out of you. But times changed; when consoles lost that entire aspect, they lost their point. Companies got overly greedy and saw that console owners were trapped by the console itself. At that point, the console became a leash instead of a gaming machine. Buying a console now, especially the next-gen ones with all these anti-user features built in (even if not activated - yet), is literally handing a leash around your neck to the companies who want nothing but your money. Buying a PC, while more "work" to keep it going, gives you the option to stick your middle finger in their eye whenever they try to bring the leash out. And that is where the future of gaming will lie; not in this publisher-driven series of cages.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Arina Love said:
You can't strip away games from argument, hardware capabilities means nothing for gaming platform without games. Just as i said before there are no platforms objectively better because 1 platform cannot play all games. Hardware is irrelevant.
Looking just at games, PC wins, objectively. It's got every game ever released since the mid 80s still available, even the ancient DOS games run via dosbox and many are legally available (for really, really cheap) on sites like gog.com. PC is the "console" with the largest game library by far. Seriously, nothing even comes close. Add on to that the fact that you can emulate games (with minimal effort, and without 'modding'/voiding warranty) from the majority of existing consoles, and you have a clear, 'objective' winner, even if all you're looking at is game library.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
AuronFtw said:
Arina Love said:
Looking just at games, PC wins, objectively. It's got every game ever released since the mid 80s still available, even the ancient DOS games run via dosbox and many are legally available (for really, really cheap) on sites like gog.com. PC is the "console" with the largest game library by far. Seriously, nothing even comes close. Add on to that the fact that you can emulate games (with minimal effort, and without 'modding'/voiding warranty) from the majority of existing consoles, and you have a clear, 'objective' winner, even if all you're looking at is game library.
Not from mine point of view, PC doesn't have even handful of games i like to play. Yet my PS3 library is huge. Like i said before no platform ever can be objectively better. Different niches make it impossible.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
Arina Love said:
You can't strip away games from argument, hardware capabilities means nothing for gaming platform without games. Just as i said before there are no platforms objectively better because 1 platform cannot play all games.
You clearly still don't understand what objective means, so I will stop trying to argue with you. I see why people just tend to ignore you.

You need to learn that games are, in their nature, subjective. As such they can't necessarily be judge objectively.

As a closing note, to continue to illustrate objective vs subjective:

the PS3 is an outdated piece of hardware with ass backwards archaic architecture that makes it hell for devs to develop for, which Sony have stated that they deliberately made it difficult to prevent "just anyone" from developing for it. On top of that, Sony later removed several features, including backwards compatibility and Linux installation because "reasons".

- it's out of date, which is objective unless you want to start arguing that our accepted standard calendar is up for debate, thus making time irrelevant.
- They deliberately removed features, thereby severely limiting a persons freedom.

And Japanese games are almost always pretentious long winded dribble with too many cut scenes and next to no actual "game" featuring whiney, androgynous protagonists who brood too much.

- This is subjective, since it's my opinion and does not hold true for everyone.

By the way, you're ignored now. I've had enough dumb for one day.
Typical, can't handle different opinion thus resorting to insults. IMO Hardware is irrelevant only relevant thing is games, which are subjective therefore no platform can ever be objectively better.
I just going to take high road and not resort to insults.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
AuronFtw said:
Arina Love said:
Forget it. It's like arguing with a brick wall or an Apply fanboy.
at least i'm not aggro that insults people when they don't agree with his point of view.

seule

Jul 21, 2008
I use my PC for some games, I use my PS for others, some games work better on one rather than the other, eg Deus Ex : HR looks better on my PC, finished it on my PS3 cause it just "felt" better. Before anyone jumps in with the gamepad argument, I have one, just preferred sprawlin on my couch to play instead of sitting at the computer. Neither is better than the other, a good game is a good game, regardless of platform. Any of the XXX is better than XXX is in my opinion just someone feelin a little insecure who needs to make themselves feel better, and that's just human nature.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Maphysto said:
As a PC gamer, I hold absolutely no hatred for consoles or their players. I just personally prefer PC to consoles.

I DO, however, hold a special little tumor of seething contempt in my heart for console gamers who go on and on about how PC gamers are arrogant, or about how PC gaming is dying.
I hate to use the standard forum vernacular, but...

This. SOOOO much this.

I'm generally indifferent to console gamers. In fact, indifferent toward most gamers. I game primarily PC, sure, but I also play on consoles. Have since I was a kid.

What someone games on is not my concern. I don't worry about it nor does it bother me if someone plays on something I don't.

Only an asshole makes a big deal about other platforms of play.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

You know, the irony (or hypocrisy, if you prefer) of this "why do PC gamers hate console players?" question is this:

There are far more console players complaining about PC "elitists" than there are actual PC "elitists". And, as a result, it's often the console players "hating on" the PC players.

Seriously, the persecution complex, especially around here, is getting downright repugnant.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I will tell you why from my point of view of a PC gamer:

- I feel that for the past few years that our platform has been treated like a third world country or "neutral" when it terms of the developers/publishers deciding to throw us a bone or leftovers when it comes to porting their games to the PC.

- We had to wait 8 years for this generation when the technology and resources of the PC crowd have had specs that have surpassed next gen for at least 5 years. This has stagnated the innovation and creation of new games and pressured publishers to release their games annually instead of taking risks on new IP (there are some exceptions sure), but I am simply tired of the same old CoD, Assassins's Creed over and over.

- Console gamers can say what they want regarding their exclusives and their reasons of playing on a console, but it is proven that they would have a much better experience on a PC because of all the extra goodies that it has in terms of performance. You don't want to sit at a computer chair in your room? Link up Big Picture and play the PC games on your couch with a controller if you really are looking for that "convenience".

When it's all said and done, this "Console" vs "PC master race" fight will continue to go on until consoles cease to exist.

I will never choose a few exclusives and an inferior graphical&gameplay experience (30 fps, washed textures etc) against what a PC can offer me(60+, Tesselation and everything else that others have wrote in their comments regarding visual boosting options).

These are but a few of my cents and it saddens me how less some companies care about this platform that they don't even care about everyone getting to play the game they've created or invested their money in.

Kanova

Oct 26, 2011
I don't know about the hate, but I know about the superiority. Mods, internet browsing, half screening things, free movies and games EVEN if you don't do it, you can still get free games and movies/music. Also, PC games generally have more customization and freedom. You always see console ports lose a lot of features. Look at Minecraft.

PCmasterrace.