Adoptive Parents Call Portal 2 Jokes Offensive to Orphans

Chaosninja89

Jun 25, 2010
I just got portal 2 yesterday and finished it today. It is the funniest game I have ever played.

This is just people over-reacting to something for the sake of finding problems, if everyone abided to the wishes and complaints of these people (and the Australian government) games would cease to entertaining.

Demonicdan

Dec 8, 2010
It said that the daughter herself wasn't particularly offended, it's just her father taking offense on her behalf.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
I saw this on reddit and I thought the same thing, first off its a comedy-ish game. Chances are something will be said that will offend someone. Also in the news report they make it seem as if the game was made for kids, which it wasn't. I'm more upset at the news station then the dad, since he can be made at what ever he likes. I just expect for the news cast to report something right for a change, and try NOT to be bias. It couldn't be more obvious that they were on his side.

cryofpaine

Apr 6, 2010
There's always going to be someone. In case it wasn't completely clear by the fact that she spends half the game, as well as the first game, trying to kill you, let me spell it out in easy to understand little words.
GLaDOS
IS
BAD!
She's the bad guy. She's evil. She's so evil...[SPOILER ALERT]

SHE KILLS HERSELF JUST SO SHE CAN BE MORE EVIL!

Seriously, don't let the cutesy-poo voice fool you. She makes Darth Vader look like a whiny emo teenager (wait, bad example). Yes, she insulted orphans and fat people. She's evil. Evil people aren't nice. They like to insult people (when they aren't trying to kill them. Or even when they are). You're supposed to take offense to it. That's what makes her the bad guy.

It's not because we're not foster parents that we don't get why you would be upset, it's because we've got more than two brain cells and can understand that when a character is doing something, that's called fiction, and it's not real. It doesn't mean Valve or the actress that voices GLaDOS or the writers actually think being an orphan is bad.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Just to clear it up, the guy said that his daughter knows she is adopted (since she's a different race) he just felt that it was unfair to insult someone based on the fact that they're adopted. Which is true, but obviously in the game it's just a joke. People really shouldn't take these things so seriously.

Furthermore, the first Portal had you incinerating your companion cube. That's surely like telling your kids to murder their family, right? You can make a big deal out of anything it's just not necessary.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I foresee a future where all forms of communication are banned in the U.S., so a to safeguard everyone's feelings, lest you get sued to the Moon and back.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
First time I played through that bit, I knew someone would take exception to it. Even so, GLaDOS called Wheatley out for calling Chell "Fatty Fatty no parents" moments after he did so.

Honestly, I'm surprised they weren't more offended by this bit:

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
as far as I know GLaDOS made crueler fat/orphan/adoption jokes earlier in the game atleast his daughter knows that everything Wheatley says should be taken with a grain of salt.
PS
Chell is never explicitly stated to be a orphan she is most likely to be a daughter of a scientist who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
I, personally, have never seen why people make such a big deal about being adopted. Or, worse, the whole "OMG I don't know my HERITAGE or my REAL parents!!!!"

Well, I'll tell you, I've never met my "real" father, and I don't care to meet the guy, either. (I don't even know if he's still alive.) I've never, ever gotten the people who say things to me like "OMG, that's so horrible!" and "Aren't you at least CURIOUS as to why he didn't want you?" Um, no. Why should I care about the personal motivations of a complete stranger? I find it hard to care about the personal motivations of people I actually KNOW. I mean, it'd be nice to know if there were any genetic disorders to look out for, but other than that, who cares?

Your parents are the people who take care of you until you can take care of yourself. It doesn't matter if they are your actual personal sperm donor and the woman who personally squeezed you out of her vagina.

Paridice

Aug 26, 2009
You can see where he is coming from. However, it is a video game, the joke was not made to be stabbing at the general public. It was a joke for what was happening in the game and nothing more. I highly doubt that will become a mem <==(possible misspelling) like "The cake is a lie" did. He took the line in the game and just blew it out of proportion.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
The thing I don't get is that he says at the end that he and his daughter still really enjoyed the game but if that's the case why on earth did he find the need to contact his local news channel?

This is the problem with releasing anything into the general public, no matter what you say or do you're going to offend someone.

iDerp

uHerp
Mar 8, 2011
There's no need to be insulted because someone points out a person is adopted. How does that joke go...

Kid 1 "Ha ha you're adopted because your real parents didn't want you."
Kid 2 "Oh yeah? Well my parents picked me out of a choice of hundreds, yours had to put up with what they got!"

If people choose to be offended that's fine by me, so long as stories like these don't get games censored or banned.

GLaDOS's trollish insults always make me laugh.

brimstone1392

Feb 3, 2008
iDerp said:
Kid 1 "Ha ha you're adopted because your real parents didn't want you."
Kid 2 "Oh yeah? Well my parents picked me out of a choice of hundreds, yours had to put up with what they got!"
Hehe...I don't think I've heard that one before. Funny. I like it.

akakaze

May 20, 2011
Honestly, having played this game, then seeing this controversy, then watching a friend play, the moment they mention did seem a miniscule shade harsher than some of the rest of the trash talk. I personally didn't have a problem with it, but I can see how someone else could have, and honestly, if a news channel offered me a chance to be on T.V. complaining about negative comments on my own demographics, I'd probably take it; even if I thought it was at worst a minor slight.

brimstone1392

Feb 3, 2008
akakaze said:
if a news channel offered me a chance to be on T.V. complaining about negative comments on my own demographics, I'd probably take it; even if I thought it was at worst a minor slight.
Now THAT'S honesty, folks! Being honest about yourself sets you leaps and bounds above many others.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I'm adopted and all I have to say is so fucking what? Some people just need to get a life.

Honestly, I clicked on the link because I thought it said Postal 2, not Portal 2. I was about to say, what's not offensive to 99% of the world population in Postal 2? Then I read the article and was like "oh...". I think that's a sign I need to go to bed.