Mortai Gravesend said:
zehydra said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
zehydra said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
zehydra said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
zehydra said:
Unfortunately the existence of a God is an extraordinary claim, but unfortunately so is the claim that one does not exist at all.
How the hell is the claim that there is no being that is above all known laws of physics an extraordinary claim?
because it is non-falsifiable. Any claim that something which is non-falsifiable is false is extraordinary, no? It means you have evidence for that which there is none, which to me is pretty damn extraordinary.
Non-falsifiable does not mean extraordinary. Seriously, you're trying way too hard to fit this where it doesn't. To claim that something non-falsifiable is false is not extraordinary. It does not mean you have evidence of anything to make a claim. So no, that logic is bunk.
Explain then explicitly what you mean by "extraordinary".
"Oh hey I'm going to use a word and when someone calls me on it then I'm going to ask them to define it hehehe"

Yeah, no. That's just stupid. If you don't know what it means, why the hell were you using it?
I know what I think it means, I just want to make sure we're on the same page. To me, any claim that says that "something which is non-falsifiable is false" is an extraordinary claim, because you suggest or imply that you have made an assertion which is illogical. That is, you are saying that (x which cannot be known to be true or false) is false. A contradiction.

Now will you PLEASE tell me what YOU think extraordinary means to we can avoid senseless communication?
Well why go into that when the grounds for you claiming it is extraordinary are blatantly false?

It is not a contradiction to say that something you can't know to be false is false. It would be a contradiction to say that you *know* it to be false, not to say it *is* false. Your logic there is really shoddy.
Sorry what I meant is "know". What we're talking about is belief not the actual truth.

That is, it is a contradiction to suppose that a non-falsifiable thing is knowably false, which is what a person who actively believes that there is no god believes.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
It's funny how a lot of Christians pick and choose their sins, and seem to think themselves enlightened or better for discriminating against others. I've heard a lot of people say things like "oh, he's a good Christian" or "those are good Christians". Here's a fun fact; there are not "good" Christians, if there were that person wouldn't need Christ and therefore would not be a Christian.

Christ's sacrifice was meant for sinners, to go around telling anyone they're going to hell actually goes against Christ's teachings, which by the way NONE OF THEM said anything about anyone doing anything other than loving others and god.

I am a man and have long flowing hair, which by the way, is a SIN. Yep, that's right, bible says that my hair is a sin, which is funny since the popular image of Jesus depicts him with a sinner's mane as well, but he was without sin, he was the only among us that was completely sin free.

All I'm saying is there are better causes to take up than hating on people for who they fall in love with. As a Christian I'd feel absolutely ashamed if I were telling anyone they were going to hell for any reason, not so much because it's wrong (it is wrong though), but because that would mean I'm assuming I know what god will decide, and I'd like to think I know better.

As far as that video goes, congratulations, you've discovered right wing America! I recommend the potato salad and a comfy chair; brace yourself, it's tough to know when they're being crazy or being really batshit crazy.

Kashrlyyk

Dec 30, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Like I said, religion on it's own isn't a bad thing.

Add humans to the mix and everything goes tits up.
No again. It was their religion that told them to do that!!! It was the religion that caused the death because they actually followed what the religion said. The bad thing IS the religion.

Lots of religions promote slavery! And you think religion "on it's own" is not a bad thing???

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Draconalis said:
I don't care what the dictionary says... ain't is not a word.
Let's put this logically in the form of conjunctions, shall we?
Ain't,
A low level and stupid conjuction mixing are and not, am and not, and is and not, primarily.
So, this kid is saying is not no homo going to make it to heaven.

These people were cheering at horrid grammar.

Fuck logic.
Fuck it to hell.

This... is... AMERICA!

AmosMoses

Mar 27, 2011
Heaven? But Heaven is a GAY club. This kid doesn't know what he's talking about. IDIOT. I HATE HIM.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
TakeyB0y2 said:
The pro-gay movement isn't asking the anti-gay movement to abandon their ideals 100% and to convert to their ideals, rather to just live and let live.
Interesting thing about religion, since everyone, presumably, wants to get into your afterlife of choice, and/or avoid the accompanying punishment, you can be considered "compassionate" if you convert people. It would be the only loving thing to do to beat the undesirable traits out of them (either literally or metaphorically), and therefore it IS compromising their morals to ask them not to shit all over someone else's basic human rights.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Draconalis said:
I don't care what the dictionary says... ain't is not a word.
Let's put this logically in the form of conjunctions, shall we?
Ain't,
A low level and stupid conjuction mixing are and not, am and not, and is and not, primarily.
So, this kid is saying is not no homo going to make it to heaven.

These people were cheering at horrid grammar.

Fuck logic.
Fuck it to hell.

This... is... AMERICA!
No, haven't you heard? We live in Amercia now.

Dec 14, 2009
Kashrlyyk said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Like I said, religion on it's own isn't a bad thing.

Add humans to the mix and everything goes tits up.
No again. It was their religion that told them to do that!!! It was the religion that caused the death because they actually followed what the religion said. The bad thing IS the religion.

Lots of religions promote slavery! And you think religion "on it's own" is not a bad thing???
If I write a book telling people to commit murder, it's just a book.

If people take that book to heart and then start murdering people, well that's the people killing people.

Not the book.

Religion on its own is just that, a book telling people what to do.

It's up to the people who read it whether they do everything it tells them or not.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Religion on its own, isn't a bad thing.

Stupid people who use religion as a shield is what sucks.

If there was no religion, morons would find some other following to get behind to voice their bigoted views.
I LOVE YOU!

this is what ive been telling people for YEARS!

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I find it ironic that so many self-professed spiritual people are in fact some of the spiritually weakest people in the world.

Jesus told us compassion, brotherhood, mercy, and love were the way to live right. Why do so many self-professed Christians fail to espouse any of these traits? How can any Christian think it is okay to talk like this when the man he pretends to follow is known as the Prince of Peace? Why is he not known as the Prince of Peace For Everyone Except Faggots?

Religion allows ignorant, hateful cretins to feel righteousness for their crippling shortcomings rather than shame. Any act or attitude can be justified, there is no hatred too big, no mind too small, no judgment too sweeping. They can just say it's what God wants.

I thought pride was a sin. What greater hubris can there be than to claim to know the mind and heart of the Almighty?

I guess the answer is "Judge not."

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
So, Rob Halford isn't going to heaven?

Pity, I would've loved to see the pearly gates with chromed statues of Rob on either side.
Heh, he and Freddy Mercury can rock that place.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
You know, I'm gonna be That Guy and say that actually, all religions are bad. All of them. Even the moderate, gentle, unobtrusive, gentle-Jesus-meek-and-mild religions. Poisonous, the lot of them, and we're as a whole better off without.