Alien asks you to prove humanity is worth saving

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
"Go plough yourself. The only way to know for certain is to go down there and see for yourself. I don't have to prove anything to you since I represent only myself."

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
I set up my SNES, put Super Mario World into it, hand them the controller and leave them alone for a few hours.

Job done.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Not this thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.298579-Poll-Male-reproductive-rights

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
AbundantRedundancy said:
I'd ask, "Who the fuck are you to judge?"
They are intergalactic beings with the ability to wipe us off the face of the planet. That is who they are to judge.

OT: I'd probably show them Star Trek and be all "This is what we could be if we could just pull together and any help you can give on that would be much appreciated."

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
If they could whipe out all traces of humanity if one swift blow. Then I'll be trying to convince them to do so. I love life and people, but the best thing that could happen for humanity is quick painless extetion.

metalemily

Feb 16, 2011
Question reminded me of Penn & Teller's Invisible exact same situation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4R49MzYCWw&feature=related

I don't think it would work nor would anything else but amusing none the less.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
1)Ask alien images of his oh so perfect society that placed him in position of god over us

2)Assuming it doesn't blow me away by showing pictures that make me realize that our species truly has no value i'd find a way of showing it all the art/music/games/theatre/tv shows+film that exists.
Even the worst of the worst ><

If that doesn't convince the alien that we can be at least interesting, then i'm outta ideas.

Pheonixe

Aug 23, 2010
Gah....I'd really, really, REALLY want to say that there isn't a reason. Humans simply aren't worth the time and effort to save.

But, unfortunately, I couldn't. For one reason and one reason alone: our art. One look through some of the greatest artists of our time and it would be impossible to say that the human voice and perspective is one that has no value. Perhaps it isn't the best and it probably shouldn't be the biggest, but "the human experience" as told through our arts is something that would be sad to lose in the Universe for multiple reasons.

The best argument I would have is the interesting perspective a small, lonely race on the edge of a galaxy has on the life, universe, and everything. At least worth a gander and/or an upload into the giant celestial archives or whatever, and their continued and evolving voice would be interesting to study.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
I'm back with my answer (Not that it's possible for you to notice!)

I'd grab a sharp rock, murder the HELL out of the alien. Loot his body, take any ray gun/etc he has and jump into his ship. Get off the planet long before aliens blow it up.

Live as the last human, LIKE A BOSS.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Point out that we have never destroyed entire sentient species, like they are implying. Evolution is a logical fact of any sort of system of life, and Evolution instills very violent realities into an individual. Assuming multiple races of alien life exist in the galaxy, odds are we are not an outlier in the viciousness bell curve. Our rather hospitable planet means that odds are, we are a relatively peaceful, kind and benevolent sapient species. And of course, distance means that really, we are no threat to anyone outside of our solar system. If they can travel to us and threaten us, then they will always have the upper hand, and the distance also means that any sort of violent action between the species would be completely meaningless: A successful species would not bend massive resources to destroy a distant race just for shits and giggles. People are too selfish and interested in material gain for that. Realistically, the only exchange that would occur between the species is exchange of information, which can only benefit both parties. Extermination is illogical.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
Show them this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq_2GOoFaXE

Any thing that cannot be convince that this is a sign that humanity needs to continue existing could never have been convinced in the first place.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
Itd have to be music and art, Im not aware of any huge relief efforts at the moment, and going into depth with them would probably just show their inadaquacies anyway, so music and art.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
"If we're going wrong, then natural selection will do the rest. You can save your resources by not blowing us up". Failing that, I'd grab a gun and go gangsta on them, claim the spaceship and go on a rampage