Alien asks you to prove humanity is worth saving

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well... it's an alien. I would have no idea what they valued or considered to be worth saving.

So I guess I'd just point at the Earth and say, "Go take a look for yourself. Oh, and if you have time, try the croissants while you're down there."

"Ahem, uhh... one more thing. I don't suppose you alien chaps have come across anyone who call themselves "Asari"?"

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Because you would kill Morgan Freeman, and thus you would go straight to silicon hell. Also we would never get to play HF 3 and that's just mean.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
I'd tell them "We have enough problems as it is. We don't need an outside source to place judgement for our own damages to the planet and the ecosystem. We can do that on our own." In the end we're just a run of the mill species that has the right to live on this planet as anything else. If we die from stupidity or lack of judgement, I'd say that's a more reasonable punishment; Let the cosmos and the world decide our fate, not a third party alien species.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
"Because we don't explode planets of beings just because one guy couldn't prove that we were 'worth saving.'"

If they were androids or robots, their head would explode.

May 29, 2011
"Well i for one welcome our new alien overlords"

But seriously heres what i would do.

Assuming i know nothing about the aliens, I'm not risking anything but demonstrating that we can be useful. So I say "Inform us of your presence and well shape up so fast it's going to make the last 2000 years of human development look like fucking nothing."

Nothing would be better for the world right now than some competition and a large threat.

salinv

Mar 17, 2010
manaman said:
What kind of culture just goes around wiping out those that don't conform to their cultural standards.
Humanity. Just look at history; its downright depressing in that regard sometimes.

OT: Show them this: http://www.rockethub.com/projects/2165-extra-credits, or ask them if we are even worth the trouble. Seriously, why waste the time on someone so meaningless?

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
Well, I think I'd say: ''Yeah, you're right, were fucked anyway. Might as well make it quick. But make sure to try pizza and strawberry-pepper ice cream with honey, because it is delicious.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
CaptainTrilby said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVa_4UOvb-g&feature=related This man. This man right here is proof that humanity is worth saving. THE VOICE THAT COULD IMPREGNATE GOD HIMSELF through its SHEER LOUDNESS.
and I cant listen to him in my country...
I'm fucked, arent I?

OT: show them all kinds of music, from the most soothing orchestra to the most energetic beat.
I'll introduce them to all the epic monuments humanity has built throughout the years, including the pyramids and great wall of china.
I'll let them read all sorts of books, which will provide an understanding of the depth that the slight differences between the same organisms can create such contradicting opinions and views.

and finaly, I'll explain about the human will to evolve and expand, creating a better and greater life and world, which will ultimately benefit not only the humans, but rather every living thing that will come in touch with them...

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
"Were your people so different during your development? Were you not savages at one point? Despite what terrible things humans have done, we are still relatively young, and have plenty of time to grow."

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
naughtynazgul said:
What do you say/do?

You've all probably seen movie/game (coughgreenlanterndaytheearthstoodstillcough) where aliens debate on whether they should commit to sparing/saving Earth.

I figure this is probably a difficult question for pessemistics.
Easy. I'd just push the doomsday button myself.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
First, I'd focus on the alien. Their logic is that X is destructive and hateful, and the universe would be better off without X. Where X is humanity.

Guess what? All the dictators, warlords, power-hungry CEOs, popular German authority figures, and mercenaries? They thought that. To you, they are X. To them, "jews" are X, or "Those stupid semites" or "pirates".

The alien, by its own plan of destruction, has proven the central theme of what people criticize about humanity...in himself.

BoTTeNBReKeR

Oct 23, 2008
I'd say, we're probably the most brutal and aggressive specie I know. They can make up their mind wether that's enough to annihilate us, or to use us as some sort of military force.

CaptainTrilby

Jun 3, 2011
steeple said:
CaptainTrilby said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVa_4UOvb-g&feature=related This man. This man right here is proof that humanity is worth saving. THE VOICE THAT COULD IMPREGNATE GOD HIMSELF through its SHEER LOUDNESS.
and I cant listen to him in my country...
I'm fucked, arent I?

OT: show them all kinds of music, from the most soothing orchestra to the most energetic beat.
I'll introduce them to all the epic monuments humanity has built throughout the years, including the pyramids and great wall of china.
I'll let them read all sorts of books, which will provide an understanding of the depth that the slight differences between the same organisms can create such contradicting opinions and views.

and finaly, I'll explain about the human will to evolve and expand, creating a better and greater life and world, which will ultimately benefit not only the humans, but rather every living thing that will come in touch with them...
Try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh50ui5PEgA&feature=related Our SAVIOR! THE VOICE OF THUNDER HIMSELF! He WILL SAVE US with the POWER OF HIS GARGANTUAN SOUND!