An end to racism and discrimination?

Handofpwn

Aug 6, 2008
I do believe that there was a book written on something like this where all of the color in the world was gone and there were strict rules. Everyones fate was predecided. The main character, however, became the keeper of the worlds history and was the only one allowed to lie. In the end he died trying to escape the town with a baby that was going to be killed because of some defect. Or it might have been the previous keeper of history that he escaped with, i cant remember. It was a childrens book, though, and a decent read at that.

Jaga Jazzist

Jun 25, 2008
Ridergurl10 said:
As great as it would be to end racism and discrimination, it will never be possible! A lot of discrimination comes from things that will exsist regardless national borders or lack thereof. As much as it sucks there will always be racist people, just try really hard not to be one . . . thats the best answer.
And furthermore, I'd say that we're not racist because of borders, but we have borders because we're racist. We just don't like different things or people so we separate ourselves out.

Plus this reminds me of that episode of Fairly Odd Parents where Timmy decides that everyone should be the same, so everyone gets transformed into androgynous grey blobs. But there were people that said 'Ah yes, but we're greyer and blobbier than you, so that means we're better than you.' People will always find ways of showing that they're better than others, since we're pack animals and inherently trying to be the Top Dog.

Being a white guy living in India I get stared at a lot when I go to poorer areas that aren't visited by tourists very much. I think it's really creepy and also very rude but it's not considered rude in their culture. However if we were to just change their culture so that it matches ours then we'd be destroying their fantastic religious ceremonies, their art and pretty much everything else about them.
And that's the thing. If we were all some homogenous group of people, then we'd all have the same culture and traditions and whatnot, bad and good. This means we wouldn't be able to enjoy learning about other people. It would take all the fun out of meeting new people, finding out their interests, likes and dislikes.

So yeah, I like it when there are different people. Makes life interesting.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Knonsense said:
Racism is a problem. However, it has been a declining problem for a long time and it has never been enough of a problem to justify your thousand year plan. Inevitably what you are suggesting would require infinite force, inhuman judgment, and a callous disregard for human life. Tens of millions would have to die, and every free man would have to be crushed.

The fact of the matter is, differences stem from free will. Your plan suggests that either you do not believe in free will, or think it is something to be subjugated. If you believe this, then:
maximilian said:
Hail Hitler.

First of all, I hate having to click on "quote" twice to make it work.
Though I believe that free will is a good thing to have, I also believe that it is not always right. Someone has the right to think in any way they want but they do not always have to act with it, as do many people around the world, particularly all these terrorists around the world

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Ultrajoe said:
ZiggyApplepie said:
Been reading "A Brave New World" much?
And here i thought i would get to sling this one out. Brave New World sums up both the problems with such an idea and by it's nature the problems of our world today (It is a satire, after all). You can take the human out of the prejudice, but you can't take the prejudice out of the human, it's part of who we are and is central to our bieng as a species.

Can it be overcome? Yes. Can it be restricted (as you propose)? No.

leontyrone said:
the USA does not have a single culture but is a mix of nearly all of them, so by saying the USA's culture is the wrong one is the same as saying every one of them is wrong
America: Multiculturalism abounds.

As gently as possible, this demonstrates that you might need to do some wider research on the cultures of the world before you try to unite them.
People of every race have come to America, so yes it is a mix of every culture.

shannon.archer

Mar 10, 2009
i have two texts each incredibly similar but differnt all the same...
1984 by George Orwell and...
The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx.

what you are suggesting is ludicrous as it is not that of humanity. Even if we are reduced to the same status as ants that you suggest we will always find differences in our fellow man such as intelligence and wealth and these are things you cannot limit as the human race is unable to progress without alot of either thing belonging to the individual. As said in men in black "the individual is smart, it is the collective that are stupid irrational beings."

Ridergurl10

Dec 25, 2008
leontyrone said:
Desiring to better than someone else is not discrimination, it is competition. Discrimination is belittling someone or something for what they have or who they are.
And it might have begun since the beginning of time, but that doesn't mean it isn't impossible to change. If one persons can't believe it is achievable then it is an impossible dream
True, but putting the person down for no reason other than you want to be better than them is discrimination. I'm sorry for being realisitic, but the more people I meet and the more of the world I see the less I believe a world without racism is possible. Maybe a very long time from now, but not in the near future, our world today is way too based on competition which breeds discrimination.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Jaga Jazzist said:
Ridergurl10 said:
As great as it would be to end racism and discrimination, it will never be possible! A lot of discrimination comes from things that will exsist regardless national borders or lack thereof. As much as it sucks there will always be racist people, just try really hard not to be one . . . thats the best answer.
And furthermore, I'd say that we're not racist because of borders, but we have borders because we're racist. We just don't like different things or people so we separate ourselves out.

Plus this reminds me of that episode of Fairly Odd Parents where Timmy decides that everyone should be the same, so everyone gets transformed into androgynous grey blobs. But there were people that said 'Ah yes, but we're greyer and blobbier than you, so that means we're better than you.' People will always find ways of showing that they're better than others, since we're pack animals and inherently trying to be the Top Dog.

Being a white guy living in India I get stared at a lot when I go to poorer areas that aren't visited by tourists very much. I think it's really creepy and also very rude but it's not considered rude in their culture. However if we were to just change their culture so that it matches ours then we'd be destroying their fantastic religious ceremonies, their art and pretty much everything else about them.
And that's the thing. If we were all some homogenous group of people, then we'd all have the same culture and traditions and whatnot, bad and good. This means we wouldn't be able to enjoy learning about other people. It would take all the fun out of meeting new people, finding out their interests, likes and dislikes.

That episode showed what it would be like it everyone was suddenly put that way, everyone's personality remained the same, but for it to truly work, it would have to start from the very beginning

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
it`s not that simple our basic instincts which are irreversible will eventually lead us to forming groups and factions form territories so while racism would be less evident there would be no way of stopping it one faction would discriminate against another thus creating more discrimination.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Jaga Jazzist said:
Ridergurl10 said:

But if my ideas had happened since the beginning of mankind, then you would not have to learn about other cultures, instead you would learn of the mistakes from the previous generation and work to prevent them from occuring again.

Spawn_Of_Kyuss

Mar 11, 2009
Hate to take a piss in a rapidly swelling sea of piss, but OP is suffering from dangerous levels of hopeless idealism.

OP is most likely a troll, and you'll have to try hard to persuade me otherwise. He's appearing to be naive past a point I can comfortably believe. Unless he's, like, 12.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
leontyrone said:
Jaga Jazzist said:
Ridergurl10 said:

But if my ideas had happened since the beginning of mankind, then you would not have to learn about other cultures, instead you would learn of the mistakes from the previous generation and work to prevent them from occuring again.
but your ideas didn't and hence we are in this situation.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
leontyrone said:
Jaga Jazzist said:
Ridergurl10 said:

Big word here, "IF"
If is always a possibility

CapnGod

Sep 6, 2008
But, we aren't equals. That's not the way of the world. And frankly, I'd hate to live in a such a world. How utterly dull. I love that we're not equals now, because there are men and women out there who excel at things I'll never be capable of, or who push the boundaries of thought in new ways.

A world where the corner retard is on the same level as Einstein or Oppenheimer or Kaku? Where somehow I'm just as good as Tiger Woods or Michael Phelps? I'm insulted that you think such a world a good place to exist.

It is because of greats like Plato and Socrates, or Mozart and Beethoven who were anything but equals that our society has moved forward. And frankly, if that means that humanity must endure tyrants in moving forward to improve itself, well, better that than the boring monotony you propose. Even Hitler, Stalin and Mao could be said to have at the very least brought out some of the noblest ideals and efforts of their fellow humans in opposition.

You want nothing more than to merely hobble humanity in mediocrity. I fervently hope that your world dies in your wretched mind.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Spawn_Of_Kyuss said:
Hate to take a piss in a rapidly swelling sea of piss, but OP is suffering from dangerous levels of hopeless idealism.

OP is most likely a troll, and you'll have to try hard to persuade me otherwise. He's appearing to be naive past a point I can comfortably believe. Unless he's, like, 12.

I don't feel as if anything is hopeless if you try hard enough to achieve it
Besides, this whole thread was begun just from a thought and nothing more.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
leontyrone said:
Xan Krieger said:
leontyrone said:
Jaga Jazzist said:
Ridergurl10 said:

Big word here, "IF"
How would your plan work if there became a group of people who chose to believe something different? A group of people who found something that made them different and they showed it? What if these people declared independence from your world nation?

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
leontyrone said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Um yes there would be no racism if their was only one race... I'm glad you deduced that. But luckily... as humans were giant douchebags. I'm sure we would find another way to hate on people we're quite resourceful.
I'm a little confused on why I was quoted. My rather snark comment wasn't really all that much addressed in your reply.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
CapnGod said:
But, we aren't equals. That's not the way of the world. And frankly, I'd hate to live in a such a world. How utterly dull. I love that we're not equals now, because there are men and women out there who excel at things I'll never be capable of, or who push the boundaries of thought in new ways.

A world where the corner retard is on the same level as Einstein or Oppenheimer or Kaku? Where somehow I'm just as good as Tiger Woods or Michael Phelps? I'm insulted that you think such a world a good place to exist.

It is because of greats like Plato and Socrates, or Mozart and Beethoven who were anything but equals that our society has moved forward. And frankly, if that means that humanity must endure tyrants in moving forward to improve itself, well, better that than the boring monotony you propose. Even Hitler, Stalin and Mao could be said to have at the very least brought out some of the noblest ideals and efforts of their fellow humans in opposition.

You want nothing more than to merely hobble humanity in mediocrity. I fervently hope that your world dies in your wretched mind.
that world might be dull but it is possible, besides if you were brought up in it then it would be the norm for you

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
leontyrone said:
Xan Krieger said:
leontyrone said:
Jaga Jazzist said:
Ridergurl10 said:

Big word here, "IF"
How would your plan work if there became a group of people who chose to believe something different? A group of people who found something that made them different and they showed it? What if these people declared independence from your world nation?
whatever happens will happen
there would probably be war if some sort of violence erupted

Spawn_Of_Kyuss

Mar 11, 2009
leontyrone said:
I don't feel as if anything is hopeless if you try hard enough to achieve it
Besides, this whole thread was begun just from a thought and nothing more.
"Try hard enough to achieve it?"

Look matey, I?m the one with the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann avvy.

None of what you say could happen whilst people are still people. The simple fact of the matter is that there's something deeply embedded in human nature, which desperately wants us to kill people who look different.

Its not nice, its not fair and its not equal. Roll with it.