An Interesting Fact About Your Country

Bre2nan

Nov 18, 2010
Plenty has already been said about the US, so I'll narrow it down to my home state:

OREGON!!! The filler state in between Washington and California, the place where most of our country's wood comes from, and the state with the most mispronounced name of them all (It's not Ore-GONE, people, it's Ore-GIN!!!)

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
IsraelRocks said:
Crazycat690 said:
Finland, first female president :) I think... we also were one of the first countries to give women the right to vote, second to New Zealand I believe. Also, when Finland became a independent country we were going to be a monarch, and make some prince from Germany our first king, but since they were blamded for WW1 we instead chose a president.
I'm going to assume that the president in Finland is the executive branch, so by that comparison Israel had a female PM( Israel's executive branch) in the early 70's
Right o_O well I wasn't sure so thanks for the correction, but the other stuff is still fairly accurate I think =)

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Y'know that whole 'America invented Baseball' thing?

Yeah, turns out, it was really England. Who knew?

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
The most important thing the Netherlands have done is make the killzone series
And the ps3 wont sell here
Yay for ex-patriotism!

theravensclaw

Oct 13, 2010
I'm from australia. we have a creature named dropbears that kill so many people each week the government has covered it up, but australians know.

Also we arent allowed to have an 18+ rating on videogames so we get crappy watered down games here

Valiant The Gamer

May 9, 2010
INeedAName said:
In Sweden the selling of sexual services is allowed, but the purchase of said services is illegal.

True story.
In the netherlands you may download but not upload pirated games and you may buy/sell softdrugs but not make/import them

Matt-Sama

Oct 31, 2009
The rulers of my country are so fixed on multiculturalism and giving foreigners extras when they come here because they have an 'empire guilt' for ruling half the world at one point.

UK, hate or love it.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Valiant The Gamer said:
INeedAName said:
In Sweden the selling of sexual services is allowed, but the purchase of said services is illegal.

True story.
In holland you may download but not upload pirated games and you may buy/sell softdrugs but not make/import them

Yeah there is a drug shop less then a mile away with its door open
true story

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Finland is the most sparsely populated country in Europe. It's the seventh biggest country in Europe in terms of geographical area.
There are around 190,000 lakes in Finland.
Forest covers about 75% of Finland. Water covers around 10%.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
lithium.jelly said:
My country, Australia, is larger than all of Europe, yet only has roughly the same population as New York.
Its quite impressive Australia, it appears quite small on a world map but when you get there you can drive for days without meeting a soul. I forget just how big that place is.

Now my place! the UK; we are probably in the worst political state we've been in for a LONG time... I don't trust ANYBODY right now!

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Netherlands: Apparently we invented the cassette-tape and the CD, and Rotterdam is Europe's largest port.

loukasmaki

Jun 9, 2010
Sweden invented the mail bomb.

In the early 20th century a failed inventor thought it was fun to put explosives in packages and mail it to people he didn't like while trying to make it look like some left wing radical group was responsible.

Doesn't that make one feel all fuzzy wuzzy inside?

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
googleback said:
lithium.jelly said:
My country, Australia, is larger than all of Europe, yet only has roughly the same population as New York.
Its quite impressive Australia, it appears quite small on a world map but when you get there you can drive for days without meeting a soul. I forget just how big that place is.

Now my place! the UK; we are probably in the worst political state we've been in for a LONG time... I don't trust ANYBODY right now!
Could you elaborate on "the worst political state we've been in for a LONG time", I am not questioning if thats true, I would just like to hear about it from an actual brit.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Furious Styles said:
Treblaine said:
Technically shmecknically, that was a foreign aided coup enacted by the parliament itself. And if I remember correctly a bloodless one as well (except for some riots and minor military skirmishes).
True, but I'm a law student: technicalities will pay my mortgage one day.
But what are the technicalities if the Parliament actually invite the new monarch in who has certain (arguable) claims to the throne?

"technically" James II was considered Abdicated when he fled to France.

arrapippol

Jun 10, 2010
This is open to argument... but Nowhere other than Melbourne (Australia) will people turn up to a game of sport simply because it is sport. Melbourne is the Sporting Capital of the World.

S3Cs4uN 8

Apr 25, 2011
gamezombieghgh said:
New Zealand was the first country to give women voting rights
what a mistake that was

then again the men cant vote a decent leader anyway.

(im live in new zealand)

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
No Irish Person actually says "Top of the Mornin' to ya!" in a non satirical or referential fashion. Ever.

Kernow Chris

Oct 28, 2010
Well as some people have already covered the UK, I will write about where I live.. China! :)

China manufactures 60% of the worlds bicycles.

China is one of a few countries where fossils of Homo Gigantus has been found, homo gigantus is more commonly known as "big foot" D:

By 2025, China will build TEN New York-sized cities.
"[By 2025,] 40 billion square meters of floor space will be built -- in five million buildings. 50,000 of these buildings could be skyscrapers -- the equivalent of ten New York Cities."

If the Chinese, one day, use as much oil per person as Americans, then the world will need seven more Saudi Arabias to meet their demand. (CIA Factbook)

There are already more Christians in China than Italy, and China is on track to become the largest center of Christianity in the world.

China still hasn't rid itself of Europe's medieval plague. (Xinhua)

Enjoy! :p