Analyst Calls The Old Republic a "WoW Clone"

Ranquest

Nov 10, 2009
eddierigs said:
Arn't all MMORPG's WoW clones? (Star Trek online, Final Fantasy XIV)
One could argue that that all of these are based off traditional D&D aspects(as is WOW) which is why they play so similar. If you think about any traditional Bioware RGP then put those element in an MMO it is going to look like WOW.

Zukhramm

Jul 9, 2008
rsvp42 said:
People say "WoW-clone" like it's a dirty word, never understanding what they mean when they say it.
I understand myself perfectly. There is a lot I do not like about WoW, and some of those things also seem to be in TOR. How hard is it to understand that not everyone loves WoW?

LT Cannibal 68

Dec 9, 2010
so wow has a completely voiced unique storyline for every character class? no.
does it have space combat? no.
this guy might be an analyst but he has no gaming credibility I've played the swtor beta an I've got to say that it was fucking awesome. It was so much better than wow and FYI i have been playing wow since before it looked like downtown Afghanistan after an ied went off which was about 2 years.

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
Jesus, I hope this game is great when it comes out, so it can be a big middle finger to all the damn naysayers and bitchers.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
Even if it was a complete and utter WoW knockoff, and just renamed everything Jedi-Night Elves and Sith-Orcs .... could you really blame them?

WoW is the most profitable game. EVER. In the history of games and the known universe. You could swap out every WoW CD/DVD ever purchased with a solid gold replica, and that probably still wouldn't add up to the net worth of WoW.

Someone trying to crib notes from that is not only expected, but completely reasonable. It happens with games, cars, movies, sexual paraphernalia and anything else you pay money for. One company makes a hit. Everyone else tries to include that hit feature.

Hopefully (if you're an Old Republic fan) this game can copy the good stuff, change the annoying stuff, and make it the perfect game ever. Good luck though, WoW has a nearly 7 years head start of testing, tweaking and perfecting.

//edit
To be fair: WoW has cribbed notes from other games a'plenty. For instance, the WoW minimap used to display only a dot to indicate a completed or available quest. Hellfire: London came out with the minimap displaying the appropriate icon (! for available, ? for complete) and different colors for repeatable quests. Guess what WoW has now. And speaking of Maps, Warhammer online introduced a map that gave general locations for quests (you select a quest, it gives a general "go here" indication) Guess what WoW has now.

And that's not even counting all the user-written addons that have been incorporated into the core game.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
Saucycardog said:
Lacsapix said:
every MMO is like WoW in some ways
What if I don't like WoW?
Then you'll have to ask yourself, "Why don't I like WoW?"

Do you dislike MMOs as a whole? Do you have an issue with the fantasy setting? Did GhostCrawler question your leet skills?

Once you've figured out exactly what you dislike, you can then figure out if the Star Wars MMO changes those things. For bonus points, try to figure out what you DO like about WoW, and see if SW keeps those things.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Well of course, games in the same genre tend to have similarities. That's just the way things are.

Besides SW:TOR has plenty of stuff that WoW doesn't that set's it apart, of course it's going to have the same combat mechanics as WoW just like 99% of MMO's do. Why can't people judge it by it's own merits. Have a look at the things it does differently, instead of looking at it and saying "WoW clone"

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Xanthious said:
Finally and most importantly this isn't the same Bioware that brought us KOTOR and KOTOR 2.
You saying Bioware made that game actually destroys any faith in your argument. You brought up a lot of good points but being misinformed about the games a company makes you seem ignorant to a lot of things. Like the fact that the Bioware making the game is a completely seperate entitiy set up in Arizona. KotOR 2 was made by Obsidian NOT Bioware.

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
sdc10 said:
adamtm said:
sdc10 said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
People will defend this game a lot but yea I assume it would be a wow clone. I mean it looks like one.
Please name one mmo that looks drastically different than WoW
Hmmm ok

Eve Online
Atlantica Online
Perpetuum Online
Ryzom
APB: Reloaded
Black Prophecy
Taikodom
Darkfall
DC Universe
Earthrise
I assumed when he said "looks" he meant how the game played, not graphics wise. In that sense all mmo's generally look the same.
Only most he mentioned there actually do play different from WoW.

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
If I was going to pour millions into making a game I would use tried and true formulas such as leveling, raids, and gear. Even so who care it is Star Wars not WOw and that is a big enough difference for me.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Krion_Vark said:
Xanthious said:
Finally and most importantly this isn't the same Bioware that brought us KOTOR and KOTOR 2.
You saying Bioware made that game actually destroys any faith in your argument. You brought up a lot of good points but being misinformed about the games a company makes you seem ignorant to a lot of things. Like the fact that the Bioware making the game is a completely seperate entitiy set up in Arizona. KotOR 2 was made by Obsidian NOT Bioware.
First thing, yep I was wrong about KOTOR 2. You have bested me on the internet I'm sure this is a happy day for you. Congratulations! Sadly, that does little to change the fact that it doesn't matter if it's Bioware's offices in Austin TX, Arizona, or the god damned moon that are working on Old Republic they are all part of the same company that is now firmly owned by EA. I'm fairly certain Bioware employees can't wipe their asses anymore without EA stepping in and telling them how they'd prefer to have it done.

Make no bones about it EA could give a fuck about the quality of Bioware's games as long as people still shill out for them based solely on the fact the box says Bioware on it. Look at Dragon Age 2. That was a rushed out hot mess of a game that was released quickly to capitalize on Bioware's good name and the popularity of the Dragon Age franchise and look what a train wreck that was. Those are likely the standards you can expect Old Republic to be held to.

Once EA has milked everything they can out of Bioware's reputation they will no longer have any use for them and Bioware will fade into obscurity no longer remembered for the great games they released once upon a time but the games they made whoring out their reputation to EA. Bioware is all but dead and gone now. The quality games of their past are just that and I doubt we will ever see anything close to those again made by Bioware.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
the fact that Rift is currently pretty successful is proof that a "WoW Clone" can work...and i guarantee that SW:TOR is no wear near ripping off WoW than Rift, Rift has spells and talents that are freaking IDENTICAL to WoWs...im sill a little interested in TOR so its all good.

or course i am still hyped for Guild Wars 2 at this point, which does things very different from WoW

baconfist

Sep 8, 2009
Everquest was not a UO clone those games were about as different as you can make them.
thethingthatlurks said:
I'll take this with a truckload of salt, seeing as any so called "Analyst" is either retarded, paid to state the bleeding obvious, or both. Besides, it's an MMO. How different from WoW did this moron expect it to be?

Oh, here's something. You know that WoW thing? Turns out it's just an Everquest clone. Oh wait, that in turn was just a UO clone. So I guess WoW is the clone of a clone, which makes ToR the clone of a cloned clone. Shocking, I know...

EDIT: Goddamn ninjas. Can we get some pirates in here to take care of them?

Everquest wasn't a clone of UO those games were vastly different. Thats like saying pacman was a ripoff of chess.

I am dissapointed by all I see of the Old Republic and agree that they are drawing a lot from WoW. Copying WoW isn't a bad thing but why would you leave WoW to play WoW? To many games out there are like this already. Similar classes, skills, and lame talent trees.

Face it they are spending a lot of money on this game and they are gonna play it safe. Wow works so they copy it just like fps developers copy everything from the latest top selling fps game.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
ok can i just say i'm dissapointed. not by the WOW thing, but by the fact that Kotor was my FIRST XBOX GAME. i started out on the gameboy, went to the n64, and then the xbox. i started on KOTOR and i still play it even now, it's one of my all time favorites, hell i have 4 playthroughs on my 360 not even counting the 7 i have on my old xbox. so yeah, i love the game, and 2 just as much. but now the next best thing to a sequel in almost 10 years is this. a computer MMO. god i'm disappointed. i don't play MMORPG's i don't even computer game. and my biggest wish has always been to see a 360 KOTOR game but that hasn't happened and now that hope seems to have been crushed. this so far is my only grievance with bioware. and it is a big one. hell he graphics are even in line with MMO's which is to say not half as good as the original games. we may never see another console kotar and that really saddens me. i got my hopes up when this was first mentioned, and then i found it was and MMORPG. just so disappointed. i'm gonna go cry now thankyouverymuch.

/rant

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Well seeing as how analysts are always wrong it must be a great game that stands apart from WOW.

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
CommanderKirov said:
From what I learned, It's not realy no. Either the guy is talking out of his ass or what I learned about the game so far is complete stupidity.
That's actually a nice trick.

OT: I think there was just an editorial post about how players want originality yet complain when something doesn't conform to our experiences. The 'green barrels don't explode' bit. If it has similar mechanics that's cause THEY WORK DUMBASS! Why do you think so many games use the 'trigger' button on the controllers to fire it's cause if they used the start our heads would implode.

But like Kirov, from what i've seen and learned about the game it's not like wow. Yes I see that it has some similar staples. And that's why their STAPLES things we not only expect from these kinds of games but rage if we don't get them. And besides...wow has how many millions of Players? You can't really blame a company for copying them when...well players like us made wow that big. Then the only one to blame is YOU. Maybe you should take a look in the mirror? eh?

Edit: Kirov, I'm not calling YOU a dumbass I quoted you for the 'talking out of ass' bit. Just wanted to make that clear.