Analyst Calls The Old Republic a "WoW Clone"

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Yeah just like how any shooter is a ripoff of CoD..... theres too many things to point out. First off you cant really be innovative in the... "stagnant"... area of MMO's, without going to far off the rails and becoming an unpolished version of WoW (Rift,WHO etc.) Really what happens is a game comes out like WoW or CoD that are so generic that they appeal to everyone. What needs to happen for WoW to die is people need to wait for a "WoW 2". Personally i look forward to GW2 seeing that i loved GW1 (its free to play :D). People will always go back to whats familiar to them. WoW will die but itll take a helluva lot longer than anyone will care to wait before they just hop over to the next 15$ a month gap filler.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
wow i should have read your comment before i posted mine :) i totally agree.

WorldFree55

May 22, 2011
2 things.

1. Who?

2. Did not get that impression when I played it, so I'll do what i usually do and take the lacking intellectual comments with a grain of salt.

Abedecain

Jan 15, 2011
I have been waiting for the beta for what it seems years. I hope it will be different to WoW...

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Lacsapix said:
every MMO is like WoW in some ways
..and the ones that stray too far from the WoW style are shunned by the masses of WoW addicts who fear change and would rather do dailies than learn new skill trees, combat mechanics, and stats percentages.

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
You know what people said about WoW when it came out? That it was a well done EQ clone, that it took a lot of what EQ did right, and polished what EQ did wrong.

That seems to have worked out for them.

Hell, most other games are a clone of some game before them. Warcraft? C&C clone. Duke3d? Doom clone. Go ahead, pick something - there is a 99% chance you can label it as a clone of an older title.

Needless to say, I'll take this analysts opinion with a truck-sized grain of salt.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
I have a suggestion.Stop whining and stop defending products.These discussions are meaningless with little thrown into the argument from both sides.I get it you're bitter people.

You can't make an mmo without copying grind mechanics from WoW.It's a successful business model and it's what gamers like to sink time in.Afterwards you can create all sorts of mechanics to make your mmo stand out.Take Age of Conan it had a lot of fresh ideas and you could actually block passages with a tank so your dps can freely blast away for instance.But at the core it was just a wow clone.There's still peeps playing Age of Conan because they prefer it to WoW for instance.Why not just wait until TOR is out before bashing.

XxSummonerxX

May 17, 2009
Why is it that one article, from one guy, is all it takes to turn a pretty large audience off of one game.

I'm looking forward to TOR still. Anyway, to further prove my point, I will now rant.

ZOMFG! DID ANYONE, LIEK, NOTICE HOW GUILD WARS IS LIEK WOW? THEY BOTH HAVE CLASSES, AND ARE BOTH FANTASY, AND THEY HAVE LEVELS, AND THEY HAVE IN GAME MONEY, AND THEY HAVE LEVELS!

LIEK, THEY TOTALLY RIPPED EACH OTHER OFF! ZOMFG!

I rest my case.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
And..? Try visiting the TOR forums. At any given time there's usually at least one person whining about some similarity between the two games.

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
I wouldnt be surprised considering that almost every other mmo that claims to be a "game-changer" or whatever turns out to be almost exactly the same as WoW.

But if you can get a lightsaber in the old republic then I'd be cool for that.

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
Well, we always knew Bioware can't do moral ambiguity to save their lives. Even in Jade Empire, we only got a tiny amount of "Open Palm" being tyranny and "Closed Fist" being freedom--the rest of the game, it was clear that it was just Good vs Evil. Well, Nice vs Nasty at any rate. Hell, you couldn't even finish the game as Closed Fist without choosing the Evil option at the end of the game--and when you choose one of the options, the game slams you straight to that end of the alignment scale at 100%, regardless of everything else you've done during the game.

In Dragon Age, however, they seem to have gone with the approach of "Every choice you make is wrong, so you might as well not play this game because you're not going to have an impact at best and ruin the game world completely at worst."

XUnsafeNormalX

Mar 26, 2009
This game may go down as one of the biggest gaming flops of all time.

Although i'm sure it will still sell well on the shelves because Star Wars is on the front.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
well, this is kind-of obvious.. an mmo is a genre so they're going to share allot of features and ideals

and from all the stuff that's leaked everywhere they look practically identical game-play wise, which should be obvious really as-well

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=Y6GZ437U 'alterswtor' pw

see for yourself if you want

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Honestly, I gave up on hoping that it it would be worth much on it's merits of a game the moment I learned they were going the mmo route rather than say, Kotor 3. My only hope was that (being someone who doesn't find much appeal in WoW) the gameplay would at least me tolerable enough to allow me to experience the story, which would hopefully be a worthy continuation of what came before.