Analyst: Xbox One Could Outship PS4 3-to-1

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Analyst: Xbox One Could Outship PS4 3-to-1

According to Baird analyst Colin Sebastian, Microsoft's superior supply chain could give the Xbox an advantage over the PS4 at launch.

From what we hear the new console generation may already be doing pretty well for itself. Demand for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have been so high that retailers like GameStop have had to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125776-GameStop-Puts-a-Cap-on-PS4-Pre-Orders>cap pre-orders as supplies for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126003-GameStop-Cuts-Off-Xbox-One-Launch-Day-Pre-Orders>launch day consoles have begun to run low. Some in the game industry are already predicting that current pre-orders will be <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126112-Ubisoft-CEO-PS4-Xbox-One-Pre-Orders-Twice-Last-Gens>twice what the current console generation achieved at its own launch. Despite the popularity of both consoles at the checkout however, one analyst feels that Microsoft and the Xbox One may wind up having the advantage, even after some disastrous PR decisions.

"Our supply chain checks suggest Microsoft may have the benefit of a 2-3x unit advantage at launch compared to Sony's PS4," said Colin Sebastian, an analyst with Baird, in an investor's note. According to Sebastian, though Microsoft may have lost the "headline battle" at E3, its changes to the Xbox One's online and DRM policies have gone a long way toward appeasing consumers. That in mind, if Microsoft, as Sebastian suggests, is able to simply produce more consoles for retail than Sony, people might just buy the Xbox One because it's available, even with the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124812-Update-PlayStation-4s-Appearance-Finally-Unveiled>$100 price difference.

On the one hand we can see Sebastian's point, especially considering that the two consoles are going to be launching around the holiday shopping season. During that time of the year there tends to be no shortage of parents and grandparents who will buy whatever looks good just to make sure little Timmy has something big and fancy under the tree come Christmas morning. That said, reports have been pointing to supply shortages on both sides and it's notable that digital retailers like Amazon still <a href=http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2013/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar>currently list the PS4 as selling better than the Xbox One. Time, it seems, will have to tell if Sebastian's predictions pan out.

Source: Forbes

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Microsoft could have a home teleportation service, it still wouldn't matter if no one gives a shit.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Isn't that because it's suppposedly much less well engineered than the PS4?

And much cheaper?

Except for Kinect.

Which apparently costs as much as the console to make...

Seems like a clever strategy to me...

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
StewShearer said:
On the one hand we can see Sebastian's point, especially considering that the two consoles are going to be launching around the holiday shopping season. During that time of the year there tends to be no shortage of parents and grandparents who will buy whatever looks good just to make sure little Timmy has something big and fancy under the tree come Christmas morning..
Waht. I wish when growing up my parents had been willing and able to sink $500 (or one's regional equivalent) plus more for games, etc. on my pressies! What a happy little spoiled speug that would've made me.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
I'm guessing Xbox one seems to have more units left because nobody fucking wants one.
If the PS4 supply is low and Xbone supply is high, that means people are buying the PS4 right?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
SkarKrow said:

And much cheaper?

Except for Kinect.

Don't forget that the Xbone is only shipping to about 21 countries at launch too. Microsoft might have 2-3x as many VHS players but Sony are selling to 4-5x as many countries. Obviously they are going to have a shorter supply per country.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Well yeah.
Microsoft has a huge built in fan base. Quite frankly I'd be surprised if it didn't out sell the PS4 by miles.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Teoes said:
StewShearer said:
On the one hand we can see Sebastian's point, especially considering that the two consoles are going to be launching around the holiday shopping season. During that time of the year there tends to be no shortage of parents and grandparents who will buy whatever looks good just to make sure little Timmy has something big and fancy under the tree come Christmas morning..
Waht. I wish when growing up my parents had been willing and able to sink $500 (or one's regional equivalent) plus more for games, etc. on my pressies! What a happy little spoiled speug that would've made me.
Hang around a GameStop (any electronics department really) at Christmas times. The sights you see will destroy your faith in humanity.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
SkarKrow said:

And much cheaper?

Except for Kinect.

Don't forget that the Xbone is only shipping to about 21 countries at launch too. Microsoft might have 2-3x as many VHS players but Sony are selling to 4-5x as many countries. Obviously they are going to have a shorter supply per country.
Microsoft have basically given up their market in the East by not supplying them at launch I think. It's a very poor decision on their part to pretty much hand Sony that market share.

Another issue with Xbox One is that a lot of it's features don't even work outside of the US, all the TV stuff for example hasn't been confirmed for anything in the EU and UK, and most companies asked for comment have said Microsoft hadn't been in contact with them about it.

Hmm.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
SkarKrow said:
Another issue with Xbox One is that a lot of it's features don't even work outside of the US, all the TV stuff for example hasn't been confirmed for anything in the EU and UK, and most companies asked for comment have said Microsoft hadn't been in contact with them about it.

Hmm.
Actually they signed a deal with Sky to do some of the TV crap in the UK didn't they? That still leaves the rest of the world with non-existant features.

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
I'm guessing this is only in terms of the USA? Wouldn't be surprised if the XBox outsells the PS4 there. But worldwide? (Or "21 select international destinations" wide?)

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Unit's Shipped do not mean Unit's sold.
/thread.

Besides, they were going on about selling like a billion units or something before the whole DRM switch.
I also wouldn't be surprised if they cut corners on production to get more units made and faster, like with the 360.
Red Ring of Death 2: Electric Boogaloo?

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
I think it's pretty obvious Xbone will dominate United States whereas Sony will benefit from other markets, mostly Asia and Eastern Europe since they were handed to them by MS for free :)

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
SkarKrow said:

Hmm.
Actually they signed a deal with Sky to do some of the TV crap in the UK didn't they? That still leaves the rest of the world with non-existant features.
Did they? I didn't see that reported anywhere at all :p

And I already have Sky. It's mostly shit, glad I don't pay for it.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
This just in: American product sells better in America

"shocking" said no one.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
SkarKrow said:

And much cheaper?

Except for Kinect.

> both budget tablet technology from AMD.
>> well engineered.

The hardware is a joke. There is no two ways around around it. The only reason its considered "better" now is because the current gen hardware is 7 years old.

There is no difference in engineering, both went in with the bare minimum of what they could get otherwise they might lose money because of the shaky industry.
I wrote an in depth response to this but then I remembered who you are and decided not to waste my time and effort.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
He has an interesting point. I wonder if it holds up the test of time.

People here seem to forget that the mass of sales does not come from informed enthusiast gamers such as ourselves but the not so well informed masses of more causal players.
MS PR "campaign" certainly didn?t help the XO, but it is yet to see if it actually damaged it beyond the enthusiast community.

EightGaugeHippo said:
If the PS4 supply is low and Xbone supply is high, that means people are buying the PS4 right?
You seem to have a skewed grasp of what supply and demand is?