Anita Sarkeesian states that sexism against men is impossible

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
So Anita said something ignorant and oversimplistic. Wow this is new.

Many definitions of sexism tend to downplay the sexism men face. In fact, sexism has historically had a female bias (in feminist theory many examples of "sexism against men" is regarded as "benevolent sexism towards women").

It's an approach that does more harm than good. It's nothing new.

Can we just disregard Feminist Frequency and allow them to rot in the annals of history along with fundies saying Pokemon and Harry Potter are demonic and Jack Thompson saying that video games cause more violence than guns?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
DizzyChuggernaut said:
in feminist theory
Again, there is more than one of those. You can say in the theories of certain forms of feminism, but there's no monolithic whole.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
madwarper said:
However, I don't see any discussion value. "Someone on the internet said something stupid. In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet. Film at eleven."
Oh but you don't understand! The topic's title has "Anita Sarkeesian" in it! That therefor means that it must get a couple hundred responses and numerous multi-person arguments! Despite the fact that the internet is comprised of random jackasses braying mindlessly at one another, we're supposed to actually care about what this particular random jackass has to say. Why? Because "reasons".

OT: Seriously, is there going to be a topic every time Anita opens her mouth? How has this not gotten old and crusty by now? Ahhh, Sarkeesian...the (mindless/pointless) controversy that just keeps on giving.

And before all you social psychos jump on my case, I'm all for gender equality in games. I just don't like Anita as a spokesperson nor the methods she employs or her questionable credibility. I also dislike the attention that we as a community keep throwing at her...particularly those that out-right hate her.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
RJ 17 said:
OT: Seriously, is there going to be a topic every time Anita opens her mouth? How has this not gotten old and crusty by now? Ahhh, Sarkeesian...the (mindless/pointless) controversy that just keeps on giving.
Given that this is in response to something she said almost a month ago that we've already discussed on the forum...yes.

OTOH...why not? Let's all each go pick one tweet she's made, and make a thread about it. Turn this into the Sarkeesian forum and be done with it.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
thaluikhain said:
Again, there is more than one of those. You can say in the theories of certain forms of feminism, but there's no monolithic whole.
I'm hoping you understand what I mean when I refer to "feminist theory". Like any kind of theory, there are aspects that form the basis that ends up being built upon in further iterations. I'm not attempting to discredit feminism, "benevolent sexism" is a legitimate idea that forms the basis of a lot of feminist literature.

I mean we have "music theory", but we also have many different forms of music and the fundamentals of music theory is what is used to identify and characterise certain features. But just because "music theory" exists, doesn't mean everyone has to follow it. The same with "feminist theory". I'm sure there's plenty of disagreement but in terms of the collective feminist literature, you'll see certain ideas recur such as patriarchy, androcentrism, male gaze, glass ceiling etc.

I am not even against the idea of "benevolent sexism", however I find the gynocentrism of a lot of gender discussion to be harmful (which is my main point, really).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
thaluikhain said:
OTOH...why not? Let's all each go pick one tweet she's made, and make a thread about it. Turn this into the Sarkeesian forum and be done with it.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't give them any ideas!

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
MeatMachine said:
Feminism is getting some piss-poor representation lately, with insane, bigoted, and frankly WRONG statements cropping up all over the place.

I want to learn what feminism is about, I really do, but fuck me raw if people like her don't do everything in their power to convince people that feminism is hypocritical bullshit through and through.
Well, if the sensible ones stopped calling themselves feminists and started calling themselves egalitarians (you know, people who actually want equal rights and opportunities for everyone), maybe there would be a distinction between people I can have a decent talk with and hypocrites.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
GundamSentinel said:
you know, people who actually want equal rights and opportunities for everyone
How many people are going to say they don't want equal rights and opportunities for everyone, if you don't ask them to specify who that everyone is? Sure, there'd be some, but a minority, I think.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
Lightknight said:
Colour Scientist said:
Phasmal said:
snip
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:
Lightknight said:
snip
snip
Firstly, she said that you can't be sexist against men, not that women can't be sexist.
I'm puzzled by the wording of this statement. Who else but women would be sexist against men? Are you saying that the possible scenario is men being sexist against men? I mean there are only 2 genders, so if it's possible to be sexist against men, which you and I seem to agree is possible, then it's kind of implied that it would be women being sexist against men. Sure I guess it's possible to have a person of the same gender being sexist against their own gender, but that seems to be a rare scenario compared to the culprit being of the opposite gender. Historically, people who act negatively against a specific group, either of race or gender or whatever, are from outside that specific group. So if it is possible for women to be sexist, then it's pretty likely they would be sexist against men. Your two statements seem mutually exclusive.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
thaluikhain said:
GundamSentinel said:
you know, people who actually want equal rights and opportunities for everyone
How many people are going to say they don't want equal rights and opportunities for everyone, if you don't ask them to specify who that everyone is? Sure, there'd be some, but a minority, I think.
Saying it is one thing. Actually having opinions on practical situations that match it is quite another.

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
Anita is a living breathing straw man, super easy to attack her arguments because they are often totally brain dead. We can keep focusing on the crazy ones and keep making ourselves look ignant as fuck, or we can have real discussions. We cannot do both.

Hell we might as well dig up something like oh i don't know, this crazy radical feminist who thinks all men should be placed in solitary confinement, and then decry feminism as evil based on it, makes just as much sense. Although give her some hits if you want, its super good for an afternoon laugh, she also thinks all sex is rape and all women have some kind of latent super powers that men are holding back.
(http://witchwind.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/utopia-what-would-a-womens-society-look-like/)

I do not know why, but i love finding the most crazy people i can and reading their tripe, I am currently on a search for the most crazy MRA I can find.

Happyninja42 said:
Colour Scientist said:
Lightknight said:
Colour Scientist said:
Phasmal said:
snip
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:
Lightknight said:
snip
snip
Firstly, she said that you can't be sexist against men, not that women can't be sexist.
I'm puzzled by the wording of this statement. Who else but women would be sexist against men? Are you saying that the possible scenario is men being sexist against men? I mean there are only 2 genders, so if it's possible to be sexist against men, which you and I seem to agree is possible, then it's kind of implied that it would be women being sexist against men. Sure I guess it's possible to have a person of the same gender being sexist against their own gender, but that seems to be a rare scenario compared to the culprit being of the opposite gender. Historically, people who act negatively against a specific group, either of race or gender or whatever, are from outside that specific group. So if it is possible for women to be sexist, then it's pretty likely they would be sexist against men. Your two statements seem mutually exclusive.
Careful bro, you are opening up a whole different can of worms with statements like "there are only two genders" have you seen facebook recently? I tried making a poll on here once with xx and xy being the options and got my head bitten off for excluding people.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I am in the army right now. Every female I see is either not a soldier or has a higher grade than me. Women in certain areas have it so easy she can't even imagine. Same thing can be said about men in other areas.

As for video games, if sexism against men doesn't exist, I expect her to explain to me how almost every male character in games today has a six pack and pecks that you can grind cheese on.

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
katsabas said:
I am in the army right now. Every female I see is either not a soldier or has a higher grade than me. Women in certain areas have it so easy she can't even imagine. Same thing can be said about men in other areas.

As for video games, if sexism against men doesn't exist, I expect her to explain to me how almost every male character in games today has a six pack and pecks that you can grind cheese on.
Male power fantasy, I wish i could grind cheese on my nipples. Although i doubt i would eat it afterward. Also, grinding cheese as a concept intrigues me what would you grind it into, perhaps a different type of cheese?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Reasonable Atheist said:
katsabas said:

Male power fantasy, I wish i could grind cheese on my nipples. Although i doubt i would eat it afterward. Also, grinding cheese as a concept intrigues me what would you grind it into, perhaps a different type of cheese?
Powdered cheese that you can sprinkle on top of certain meals.

But yeah, the men in those games are male fantasies, the same way the women in those games tend to be male fantasies of a different type.

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
thaluikhain said:
Reasonable Atheist said:
katsabas said:

Powdered cheese that you can sprinkle on top of certain meals.

But yeah, the men in those games are male fantasies, the same way the women in those games tend to be male fantasies of a different type.
To be fair my best friend Elyse loves it when their are shirtless ripped men in her games.... but she also loves it when their are big wacky titties in her games. So there is that.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Reasonable Atheist said:
Thought that was the basic result after using a cheese grater.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
WhiteNachos said:
If calling someone a tar baby is racist than so is calling someone mayonaisse boy. Arguing that it's not racist because it's not as bad as getting murdered is like saying "a broken arm is no big deal, I knew a guy who had his legs bitten off by a shark".
First off, that particular tweet, which I posted mostly because it was funny, was a guy talking about Ferguson saying that, and this is a direct quote, "black people are the most racist of all" because someone called him names. He was directly comparing being murdered to being made fun of and concluding that he had it worse.

Second, the concept you are referring to is known as the fallacy of relative privation [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_relative_privation], and it doesn't really apply here. An example of the fallacy would be telling a man who was sexually assaulted by a woman to stop whining because that kind of thing happens to women all the time. It is not an example of the fallacy to devote more resources to protecting women than men, when women are statistically at greater risk. Here's a fun illustration:

Anyway Margaret Atwood doesn't have a clue what she's talking about

You ever heard the expression "don't stick your dick in crazy"? The meaning is that if you have a relationship/sex with a crazy woman she can cause serious damage to your life. People worry about getting in touch with a crazy women for more than just being insulted.

I actually feared for my life once when dealing with a woman.
Context. It's not that men never fear women, but in general, what is your biggest worry when, say, meeting someone you found through an online dating site in person for the first time? For a man, it's usually that he'll be embarrassed or she'll reject him. For a woman, it's usually that he might rape or murder her.
WhiteNachos said:
And if that's not good enough how about the draft? It's institutionalized sexism that hurts men.
Name one man born after 1960 who was actually drafted into the US military. If it really hurts men, I'm sure you can find some men born in the past half century that it actually hurts.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Zeconte said:
So, basically, Anita supports the idea that gender-based prejudice/discrimination is not the same thing as sexism, which, she argues, is gender-based prejudice/discrimination plus the power to enforce it, and that somehow means that she doesn't believe gender-based prejudice/discrimination can exist against men, simply because you choose to take sexism to mean gender-based prejudice/discrimination?

You are basically saying "what she is saying is wrong and offensive based on my definition of the word she used, even though she just stated that she is using a different definition of the word and in no way stated she would agree with her statement while using the same definition I chose to use in place of her's."
Even if we used her definition of the word, she'd still be wrong.

Under her definition a men only draft is sexism against men, the fact that men get longer sentences than women for the same crimes is sexism against men. Airlines having policies where they won't sit unaccompanied children next to men for fear of being pedophiles is sexism against men. If a woman boss targeted their male employees that would be sexism against men.

It doesn't help that her definition of the word is objectively wrong.