Anonymous announces its plan to destroy facebook

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
Saucycardog said:
http://thebitfix.com/2011/08/anonymous-announces-operation-facebook/

Good luck with that anonymous. I'm pretty sure you're not even big enough to take out facebook.
I dont know after what happend with the PSN I think I'm gonna pull out sensitive info before November 5th, just to be on the safe side.
Though I dont remember them making any announcments before going after PlayStation?
So is it possible this to be the act of a friendless programmer :) rather than the whole Anonymous group. Oh well, we'll see!

Kristina.K.

Jul 12, 2011
If what Anonymous has said is true, I hope that they succeed in bringing facebook down.
Sure, it is a helpful social forum, but at what cost?

I'd gladly lose my account to protect my information.

Rippie

Sep 26, 2008
i dont hate facebook, but i would like to see this happen, just for the sake of seeing it happen :).
and no i dont care what they do with my information, its on facebook already so its not a secret :p

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
The Rolling Stone's song "Gimme Shelter" comes to mind.
I'm not siding with either of them in this case, I'll be watching from the sidelines.

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
But without facebook I'm nothing, it is the hub of my social existence, whatever will I do without it ?
Oh wait, I don't give a fuck about facebook, carry on Anon, destroy away.

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
Avalanche91 said:
Considering I am one of the last people without a facebook account, I can't be very bothered by this.
I do think it'll be worth it to see what happens when facebook goes down for a few days. Probably twitter and google+ will be flooded with dramatic messages about how they can't reach facebook.
Facebook has glitches and goes down to repair them all the time, and what happens is... people lose money :(
Many websites have facebook built in their websites and will be affected.
But the ones who rely on the facebook structure itself to do business will be seriously screwed.
A company like Zynga (Farmville, Mafia Wars) has 360 million active users and all of its activity relies on facebook functioning. And when it doesn?t it?s estimated they lose $10,000 every minute facebook is down. And oh there is no API insurance so if facebook goes under for days Zynga might go broke.

Chronologger

Apr 5, 2010
I for one am pretty fucking glad and hope they succeed, facebook has been blown out of proportions on all aspects and has become more than just a simple social networking site, it's become an everyday fucking obsession that most people share, all of them making huge deals about some dick-hoppers facebook status and who it's supposed to be directed at or how it might offend them. Or relationships being reduced to nothing but what can only be perceived as two members of the opposite sex having shouting contest about who that strange new girl is the husband has tagged in one of his photos.

Honestly, I just couldn't give a shit about it any more, let it burn.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
YES YES YES!

Stick it to the motherfuckers who datamine people without their consent. Hope this stops corporations from forcing people to register on Facebook in accordance with the "linking" gimmick just to use their services.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
It's not as if Facebook doesn't have enough bad press.

Even the guy who started it mocks his user.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=123639434328403

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
This is definitely not the same Anon that have been releasing vids recently. Lower quality, less explanation, different voice, far less articulate.
Remember, Anon is not actually a group, it's a label that any hacktivist can use. You don't need any authorisation to do something under Anon, you just do it because you think it's right, and you do it under the name Anonymous.
Anyone could do anything and call it an Anonymous operation.

CodeOrange said:
Anon declares that they're going to bring down facebook after it was rendered defunct by Google +.

OTT, talk about balless. At least LulSec, despite being hated by everyone for not actually causing any lulz by taking down PSN, they had the gall to take down something that's still used by many people.
Facebook has WAAAAAAAYYYYY more users than G+. 500 million versus just over 10 million. 1 of every 5 people on the internet has a profile and regularly logs into Facebook. It's a long, long way from being "defunct".

EonEire

Feb 7, 2008
Aren't we free to be part of the "machine" if we choose to be? Aren't we free to take the blue pill? Their idea of what's best for people, isn't what's best for people, I choose to be part of soulless corporate machines because I'm happier that way and that is 100% my choice, I don't care what Facebook do with my information. And if that's all they care about then just close their own pages if they don't agree.

Communist partisan

Jan 24, 2009
"Remember remember the 5th of November, the gunpowder treason and plat, I see no real reason why the gunpowder treason should be forgot."

As always I support Anonymous 100% no matter if what they are doing is for the lulz, because it's righteous or just because someone pissed'em off.

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
I do use Facebook... once a week to find out what I'm doing for Ventures, but I wouldn't mind if Anonymous takes it out. The sad reality is that most people that use Facebook don't understand that things are on there FOREVER. And that Facebook can currently use this information in almost any way they want (They could change their policy and most people wouldn't even read the revised copy) and that I find worrying. I don't think this is the best method as the are certainly alternatives... can't think of many at the moment so maybe not. But until some sort of internet privacy standards come along or people aren't as stupid/better informed and educated, powerful tools such as Facebook, and it is a very powerful tool when you think of the amount of information they have and also what users can do, should be um... not banned, after all idiots can be idiots, but maybe in government control (Australian here, we only have stupid governing bodies) "for the greater good" ten maybe not... um... maybe an Anonymous attack is the only way but then... bugger it. I'll think of an answer later.

Valok

Nov 17, 2010
Go man! GO!

I'm actually interested to see how they will bring down the hole network...

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
Fúck you anonymous, you suck.

Facebook is popular to hate, but know what? The site is incredibly useful for keeping in contact with people. All you guys wishing them good luck are just pathetic.

And so are anonymous for messing with people's "fun-time". First PSN, now Facebook. Assholes...

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
For once I am fully behind them. I'm not convinced that this will force Facebook to change the way they treat people's privacy, but every little act helps. Even if it just highlights what Facebook are doing with people's information.