Anonymous Hacks Syrian Ministry of Defense

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Olorune said:
Deamon Toss said:
One day they will realize hacking websites doesn't actually accomplish anything. Do they expect them to just say say "oh gee, are website was hacked! call off teh war effort and turn around and go home!" I bet they don't even care.
The hack was more a message directed at the people, not the government. It was a call to arms against their government.
His point is true, though.

"Hacktivism" is stupid and achieves nothing. In fact, it hurts the people more than it hurts governments/corporations.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
It's been interesting to watch this verbal duel between deamon toss and nearly all the escapist reading this forum. Most of the rebuttals by the escapist members seem to give little insight, while the rebuttals from daemon are slowly getting redundant as but mainly because he has to keep repeating himself. In truth i am not educated enough to give a proper comment to put either party in it's place.... no actually I could but seeing as I am not knowledgeable enough on the information at hand I feel that by the time I step forward to give the proper educated response that would win this argument, it would be past the point of anyone else caring and also it would be to long a post probably amounting to several post. To conclude i have one simple question to ask daemon. What would you advise people who have no way to physically help Syria? This is not in a derogatory sense, but I would like to hear your opinion and other escapist opinions as well to what we can do.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/haters-gonna-hate-8.jpg?w=500&h=852

I think this did a good job of letting the western world know what is going on in Syria. I honestly had no idea about it until I read this, I'm ignorant, and I'll be the first to admit that. If this didn't happen, I honestly would have kept on trucking and had no idea. Now I feel like doing something. If there's a donation drive for it, I may donate, if they there turns out to be something realistic I can do, I will try and do it. That is one positive change.

Another one is they linked helpful sites, aka, revolution Facebook pages, on the hacked site. That gives anyone from Syria good resources to go to. They also put their Anonymous logo on it, but that is a good thing in my opinion. That says "Anonymous shit on this! Your people will bring you down one day." It doesn't say "Someone hacked this, oh, and your people will bring you down, you're probably gonna assume it was your people doing this but you can't know for sure." In the way they did it, the Syrian government KNOWS who it was.

It's people they can't touch at all, from another country throwing rocks at them. Just rocks, but pretty soon that gets other people picking up stones too. I think there's only been one (Daemon Toss) or two (maybe someone else) people who have said that this will achieve nothing, but to say it will achieve nothing, like, not even a little bit of a move in the right direction is completely naive and pessimistic. I am not praising Anonymous in this post, but I think if this was Fallout 3, they'd get good karma for it.

Kurbz

May 27, 2011
MattAn24 said:
I'm still very much against a lot of the shit Anonymous does around the internet... But this is awesome. Well played, Anonymous. Well played. You've gained some respect from me for doing something actually noble.

..Just don't go back to being the fuckwits you've been with certain OTHER hacking attempts "in the name of free speech". THIS is a call to arms for free speech. NOT attacking game/electronics companies for your own amusement..

GG, Anons.. For now.
You seem to misunderstand something, companies ARE serious threats to free speech. As more of our lives become internet based companies have more power. Apple has censored certain apps in China (Dali Lama apps). Hell, China itself has even blocked sites like Facebook and hand out awards for companies who "self-discipline" which means that they dont post sensitive stuff.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
The occasional good, or non evil deed wont make up for the bad.
Though yes, the Syrian Government is terrible.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Hey, doing something is more then nothing.
Who are we to say this act is useless, when WE OURSELVES have done nothing?

At least Anon is trying to do something good. :/
Sure, they may be random and stupid at times. But thats what makes them a good activist group. ((even if theyre a bit extreme at times))

We should support theyre fight. Weather it yields results or not. Because at least theyre fighting for a good cause right?

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Oh God, this thread should be renamed "Deamon Toss versus the Escapist." XD

OT: I for one applaud Anon on their efforts to raise awareness about this crisis to the rest of the world. I mean, I'm from Lebanon, and I'm just finding out about this. :S

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
Silva said:
This is the closest that Anonymous have come to doing something productive that I've noticed so far. With the mention of non-violence, it's easy to assume that they're maturing on some level philosophically, not that I'd count on that, ever.

In any case, it's quite likely a counter-productive message, and I think it's naive of those posting in this thread to blindly support Anonymous "because they're doing something about it". In any conflict, many potential actions can do more harm than good - this is one of them.

When you want a rebellion, and want it to be successful (and assuming in this case that you say yes to both of these), you don't just tear down one website and declare that "the world stands with" those rebelling against the Syrian Government on that URL. (Especially when "the world" doesn't "stand with" jack - it's like telling them that NATO or the UN can afford to send military aid or something, which they definitely can't do at this point. Sanctions is what the West can afford to do at present and that's all.)

People choose to use websites or not. In Syria, how many of the population do you think would see the website while the hacked version displays? To those reading: how often do you visit your own country's Defence Department website? Not often, I'll wager. And those who are in the military who would use it are unlikely to be as open to so-called "enemy propaganda" as the general populace.

There's a reason why anti-hero rebellion figures often appear on multiple news channels at the same time in their media stunts in fiction - because they have to, to reach the audience figures they need to actually make a difference. It also helps that the regimes an anti-hero goes up against usually have taken full control of the media so it's all centralised. If you tell a tiny portion of the population of Syria to go disobey the government's orders, you're quite likely to get those who listen killed. This is either a lethally dangerous and irresponsible attempt at rebellion, or an incredibly naive/apathetic and inhumane publicity stunt.

There is yet another concern. How many of the people in Anonymous really think about this militarily as a "good time" to encourage a non-violent resistance? I doubt it even crossed their minds if this was good timing or not. A clever resistance is timed properly, especially a non-violent one to a brutal regime. Call me crazy, but I'd say that there is more than one reason why the world hasn't acted against the regime yet. Perhaps Anonymous should have considered such reasons.

So if it was misleading, doesn't reach enough of an audience and is in all probability a badly timed action, how can we consider this a good move for the people of Syria? We should not celebrate the likelihood of someone (possibly an innocent person or even several) getting killed as a result of a premature "rebellion".
Thank FSM. Finally, someone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together to keep themselves warm at night--and posting on topic no less!

I am of the general opinion that Anonymous does more harm than good. I see no positive outcome to any effort to generalize their level of education, morality, political affection or daily bowel habits because they are--as the name implies--anonymous. Much like the Matrix's agents (in this one respect only): "They are everyone, and they are no one." In general, Anonymous as an "organization" is more malign than beneficial--in my opinion.

The reason (I believe) so many people on this forum are so very supportive of their action is twofold: Firstly, it's 'net-related, and by definition, everyone who visits this website (nevermind visiting the forums) is by definition some level of geek. I know I am. Secondly, it was an appropriately Western thing to do--take a heroic stand, like the protagonist standing atop a pile of burning debris, clothing tattered, burned & bleeding...but still waving the flag, damnit! Utterly meaningless in the grander scheme of things, but pretty & appealing to the vast majority of us who, despite the venom of oh-so-many posters in this thread, are utterly powerless.

The sooner Bashar Al-Assad falls headlong into a mechanical rice-picker, the better. Anonymous will not be involved in this endeavor, nor do they (in my opinion) have the attention span to make it happen, even if they could.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Mad props for Anonymous, that's all I can say about this matter.

I guess Daemon Toss is quite a bit grumpy today. Don't you have anything better to do, instead of spewing shit in these forums?

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Saying that the hack is useless is false. It makes the international news and it gets people informed about the brutality that goes on that may have not known otherwise. It tells the people of Syria that they are not alone in their fight and that other people are doing what they can to help them, and it pisses of the government.

sarge1942

May 24, 2009
Deamon Toss said:
sarge1942 said:
One day they will realize hacking websites doesn't actually accomplish anything. Do they expect them to just say say "oh gee, are website was hacked! call off teh war effort and turn around and go home!" I bet they don't even care.

wow, you're right they haven't accomplished anything, you are such an inspiration, why don't you tell us how you helped?
First of all, quoting is not hard, there is a button that does it for you. Second of all, I already answered this question 3 times. Please read the thread for I won't answer it a fourth.
And that means what? If all they have done could lead to a retaliatory strike on the resistance or in other ways hurt their cause, than what would be the point of doing anything at all? You have no idea how the government will react to this, and anonymous has "zero" future sight. They could easily have made a bad situation even worse, and all to get themselves on the news again.
If you really think the bulk of anon actually gives a rats ass, I got news for you.
(I assume you wanted me to read this one^ or one of you many many others, many of which I found repedative. I don't think that a cyber hacking group is going to cause the government to go "oh man this is serious better just poison the water supply and wipe every civilian out immediately" (?²exaggeration) because as you had previously stated "paypal certainly isn't bothered by it, or most of their "targets" for that matter. the site will be fixed in a few hours, and ultimately nothing will come from this besides a few news articles." Here is what that statement there makes me think, ultimately the government won't care as it is just one little act, it will probably only generate a few articles you are right, well that reminds me of one person picking up one piece of litter, it isn't going to save the world, it will not make any noticeable difference whatsoever, but you know what, if everybody did it, it would make a difference, if everyone did it every day, it might not solve the problem of litter, but it won't be nearly as bad, you know what some other people might become inspired to do something about litter on a larger scale, then suddenly recycling programs are introduced or something. So your so small it doesn't matter argument does not add up in my mind, as even if only 5 people read these articles they could tell others, governments who aren't doing anything might get embarrassed that a hacker group is doing more to solve the problem than they are, who knows, but there is no reason to scold someone for doing something good just because you think they did not do enough because as I said, what have you done? You also talk about how anonymous does not need a reason to attack everyone etc. so what? I don't see your point, you are telling me that if a company stopped using child labor, reduced pollution or something like that but they did it because their taxes are lowered we should scold them for doing it? I don't care if they are doing it as part of a ritual to summon the Anti-Christ if it makes the world even the littlest bit better. Anon vs the people who show up with picket signs, well they might want to do that but can't because, oh I don't know, they might live in New Zealand and not have money for a plane ticket, Anonymous has physically protested things before, also, would you protest if people were shooting at you? No? then don't call out others for not doing what you couldn't have yourself, and if you think you would, then why haven't you? Why aren't you under a tank right now or on your way to the airport?

*** they're doing more than you are.
So did the people of 9/11, doesn't make it anymore right. (pssst I think he meant they are doing more to help than you are)

PS: i did press quote, that button is a bit hit or miss for me, don't know why, many people have told me how to use it and i tell them the same thing.

sarge1942

May 24, 2009
sorry about that, wrote it all in microsoft word all spaced out but it didn't carry over i guess
well i feel like i've wasted enough of my life on this so i'm not even going to bother re spacing all that, if you don't want to read it that's fine, it won't change your opinion just felt like i needed to say it, all you need to know is i disagree with your opinion and that will not change, and i will probably never change your opinion, i won't be wasting any more of your time then, you have like 50 other people to reply to now probably.

Daemonate

Jun 7, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Wow, dude. Your irrational hatred of Anonymous is seriously over the top.
Seriously Andy, you're going to defend Anon here? As a site contributer, I expected a different attitude. I like the Escapist, and these are guys who attacked my favourite site directly, for no defensible cause. Don't pretend that Lulzsec and Anon are separate entities.

I don't care to wade into the debate about the effectiveness of the site hack, but Anon act as criminals and respect no law. They are not a force for good in the world, and if you had ever visited their boards you'd know they don't think they are, nor wish to be one.

Again, wtf Andy Chalk.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
Daemonate said:
Andy Chalk said:
Seriously Andy, you're going to defend Anon here? As a site contributer, I expected a different attitude. I like the Escapist, and these are guys who attacked my favourite site directly, for no defensible cause. Don't pretend that Lulzsec and Anon are separate entities.

I don't care to wade into the debate about the effectiveness of the site hack, but Anon act as criminals and respect no law. They are not a force for good in the world, and if you had ever visited their boards you'd know they don't think they are, nor wish to be one.

Again, wtf Andy Chalk.
well, they are not a force for good, neither bad really. They are a force to give themselves entertainment and maintain an equilibrium (well, sometimes try to at least). That and you can't say its all of Anon's fault. Anon is not one single body. Its a collection of people with a lot of time on their hands and a world full of angsty self important dipshits for them to take potshots at. Yes they are annoying, but thats their main goal. We rage at them, they win.

That said, I do have respect for some of the things they do. The good they do may not make up for the rest, but its better than doing pure evil.

Sud0_x

Dec 16, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
I'm sure it will be dealt with, Andy.
I felt a genuine stirring when I read the article, well done for your part in it.

It's certainly been an interesting year around the world.

Sud0_x

Dec 16, 2009
Whoa, whoa, whoa.
I just read a comment condemning this action and citing that PSN business.
I'm fucking appalled.

Some people around here really need to open their eyes.