Anonymous Threatens Internet With "Operation Blackout"

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
It is technically possible, and theoretically not that hard, but I'm very much hoping there's more than enough counter-measures against these sort of stuff. Also, why protest SOPA, something we've pretty much beat, and not ACTA, which is much worse and still relevant? I like the idea of such a massive protest, but there has to be better reasons for it...
Also, remember what all those sites shut down voluntarily? That's a whole lot better. I get the feeling Anon wanted to encourage people to do that again, except nobody really cares about Anon's agenda.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Well I have to admit I am curious if they could actually do it. I would be pretty much unable to do any of my classwork that day and it wouldn't really help them in fighting their self-earned internet terrorist stigma by committing an act like that to get their way...

But despite all that I am curious.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
If it does happen everyone just type into your browser: http://74.125.128.139/

that will get you to google.com

the question is when you click a link in google does it do a dns search or does it just take you directly to the ip address associated with the link? Because if google turns around and makes a dns query to get its link to work then using the search engine won't work

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
evilneko said:
There is however a way ISPs could make such a short attack meaningless: increase the cache and TTL values on their own DNS, so that they don't have to go to the root servers.
Exactly, you beat me to it.

Also, one would hope that the root DNS servers have seriously good firewalls as well as failover servers - they'd have to cover for the eventuality of the building a root DNS server is in catching fire, so there must be some heavyweight failover system located elsewhere for each server.

By announcing this so far ahead of when they're claiming to do it, surely all it does is give the admins of the root DNS servers lots of time to double-check and beef up security? Unless all Anon are planning is to attempt some massive DDOS attack on all 13 servers at the same time? I can't see that being even remotely possible.

My prediction: nothing will happen, other than news networks having a field day, spouting made-up 'facts', hauling in laughable 'experts', and probably predicting the end of technology as we know it and a return to the dark ages.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
But... Saturday is when the new episode of My Little Pony premiers!

OT: What exactly are they trying to accomplish here? How is it going to accomplish anything in the astronomically unlikely event that it actually works? I think this is just a bid for attention since Anon hasn't been up to any shenanigans lately and are feeling ignored. Keep ignoring them and they'll go away.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Does this mean i get to run around the streets, painted grey, yelling at the top of my lungs, "IM THE F*CKIN SAMMICH FAIRY", on Saturday?

If all hell breaks loose i mean. What? Dont look at me like that! Would you rather i riot with the rest of the losers?

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
GeorgW said:
It is technically possible, and theoretically not that hard, but I'm very much hoping there's more than enough counter-measures against these sort of stuff. Also, why protest SOPA, something we've pretty much beat, and not ACTA, which is much worse and still relevant? I like the idea of such a massive protest, but there has to be better reasons for it...
Also, remember what all those sites shut down voluntarily? That's a whole lot better. I get the feeling Anon wanted to encourage people to do that again, except nobody really cares about Anon's agenda.

As has been said, this was originally put forward by the NSA, not Anonymous. The 'Anonymous' announcement magically appeared after the NSA warned the US Congress that Anonymous might do something like this. So there's sort of a Chicken-Egg-Spook thing here where it's not clear if it's Anonymous, someone copycatting Anonymous, or the NSA making their threat assessment look realistic.

Atlus0016

Jul 29, 2010
You post detailed instructions to how your are going to attack a global means of economic / informational / entertainment trading on a public site where anyone, including those that have the ability and technical know how to stop it, can read it.

Really?

Go back to attacking one group at a time ............. at least them we have only one reason to hate you.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Well... At least I won't have an excuse to not paint my TK models if they pull this off...

Captcha: am I happy?

You trying to tell me something there? o_O

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Seeing as I'm a little bit stupid in regards to computer machines and electric stuff, this might sound like a dumb thing to say, but, if you are smart enough you would still be able use the internet, correct? We better get researching before it's too late in that case.

teqrevisited said:
Come on now, Anonymous, that's just silly. Everyone knows that if you want to shut down the internet you'd have to fetch it down from Big Ben first. They're either going to need security clearance or a few dozen ladders.
FUUUUCKIIIIING NINJAAAAA

Damn you.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Anonymous shuts down Internet.
World productivity soars.
Independent news sources are eliminated.
Online activism ceases to exist.
Governments and Corporations of the world thank Anonymous.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
if this doesn't force someone to get rid of these assholes i don't know what will

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
You know what happens when the internet goes down? I go to the pub. If they keep it up for a few days, I'll be spending a few days in the pub. So no great loss at all really.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Idlemessiah said:
You know what happens when the internet goes down? I go to the pub. If they keep it up for a few days, I'll be spending a few days in the pub. So no great loss at all really.
That all depends on the cost of a pint... I mean you could be pretty broke after 20 or 30 beers if it lasts a while... :p

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Oh yeah, I forgot about this bullshit. Look if they couldn't even keep their word to take down fox news and Facebook I doubt that they'll take down the entire internet.

Hammartroll

Mar 10, 2011
well good luck to them, anything to show that the people holds power over the government is a good thing, I just hope the media dosn't twist it to portray them as "terrorists".

"thank god they passed NDAA, otherwise we wouldn't have caught the terrorists taking away your precious internet"

:mad: