Any games where you liked the sequel more than the first?

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
pokemon gold and silver you could play in a new area find new pokemon and trade with your old game to

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
Metal Gear Solid 2, Jak 2, Drakengard 2, Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of war 2.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Star Wars Battlefront 2(unfortunate they didn't make a next gen game for that, would have been great), The Elder Scrolls Oblivion(played Morrowind afterwards, hated it, don't go reverse for gaming people, it's like playing Mario Galaxy before Super Mario Bros), Age of Empires 2, Halo 2.

I'm also going to say Mass Effect 2, for ME1 I made the mistake of subtitles, NEVER do this on your first run through, it takes the immersion out, and yet it took me beating Dragon Age Origins to figure that out.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I absolutely LOVE Halo: Combat Evolved

But if I had to pick the one that I truly went crazy for it would have to be Halo 2. This was probably the one I've had the most fun with in my past because it was so huge and so epic and of course there were two words that would make the game, and franchise, for the rest of my life:
The Arbiter.

Getting to play as the Arbiter as well as having Elites in multiplayer made Halo 2 such a step up from Halo: Combat Evolved and I loved it to pieces for that fact.

Morty14

Mar 14, 2010
Plenty, yeah.

NWN2, Red Alert 2, TES3, Civ 4, Oregon Trail 2, Hearts of Iron 2, Caesar 2, Civil War Generals, C&C3, Europa Universalis 3, and Super Mario Bros 3 all come to mind.

WodashGSJ

Mar 20, 2009
Not only was Daggerfall clearly better than Arena in every respect, Morrowind was clearly better than Daggerfall in all aspects as well. Oblivion marked the point where they started removing great bits of gameplay as well as adding others, so it's not clearly better.
Diablo II and Baldurs Gate II were improvements, as was Halflife 2. Just Cause 2 also springs to mind.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
STAR WARS Dark Forces: Jedi Knight
(At least I don't THINK it had the 2 in there...)
It was vastly better because of the addition of lightsaber combat with third-person optional, force powers(most of which made gameplay interesting but others only good for multiplayer) and a morality system that existed before I ever heard of one in a game. Of course the moral system was as simple as "killing civvies=kamehameha, lightning, and EMPIRE!!!" but I liked the option of alt. endings and the separate levels toward the end.
Its sequel, Mysteries of the Sith, was also a degree better. Combat, graphics, etc. improved, and we got Luke's future wife as a playable character! Of course, the cutscenes suffered when they went from FMV in 1 and 2 to in-game graphics in MotS. Pooor game...
Never played Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy, so I don't know whether things got better or worse from there...

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
Baldur's Gate 2
Mass Effect 2
Neverwinter Nights 2
Knights of the Old Republic 2 (well, you know, what was there)
Assassin's Creed 2
Rock Band 2
Diablo 2
Civilization 2 -> Civilization 4
Grand Theft Auto 3 -> Vice City -> San Andreas -> GTA 4
Any given Romance of the Three Kingdoms game
The Sims 2 -> Sims 3

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Shining Force 2, Lufia 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Warcraft 3, The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, Team Fortress 2, Overlord 2... I should stop here.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
Mass Effect 2, because 90% of the environments aren't completely cookie-cutter like in 1, and there aren't any points in the dialogue where it starts stuttering horribly (may be only my computer). For me, it was a low point of the game. Every time it happened, it just killed the immersion outright. Still a good game but bugs out a lot more than 2, again, at least on my 5-year old computer.

Crysco

Mar 28, 2010
Half-Life 2 comes to mind first. And I don't know if you consider Super Mario Sunshine a sequel to Super Mario 64 but I definitely like Sunshine more than 64.

Radioactive Bob

Jul 12, 2010
Just Cause 2, oh man did that game get an overhaul. Everything about that game is so over-the-top

Assassin's Creed 2, the game felt much more fleshed out. But replaying through it, something felt...missing. Like there were too few missions that required actual assassinating. Granted there were assassin contracts which i loved. But still, it was better then the original in my opinion.

Gears of War 2, i felt had a much, much better single player experience. It was much more epic with more variety throughout. Well, not the color department, but, still awesome.

Those are all i can think of right now.

Swny Nerdgasm

Jul 31, 2010
kannibus said:
Okay, gonna say it. I liked Baldur's Gate 2 better than the original. It just seemed to have a more epic story.
I can't believe I didn't say that one! I'm still playing it to this day, and it came out how long ago?

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
Soul Calibur 2
Call of Duty 4(Better than 3, not so sure about 2)
Assassin's Creed 2
Combat Flight Simulator 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Maybe Spiderman 2(the one based on the first movie was awesome, and so was the cartoon one, but Spiderman 2 was fucking awesome)

Those are the only ones where I have played both the original and the sequel and say that the sequel is better than the original.