Apparently COD is a children's game?

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
You know, what? I've been sitting here for awhile and this is all I honestly have to say on the issue.

novixz

Feb 7, 2011
Explosions, killing, trash talking without having to own up to you'r words, mindless violence, yeah that's kid's stuff.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Before that, it was Halo. Before that, it was Counter-Strike. And waaay before that it was the Quake/Doom/Duke3D era. Every generation has their own "it" title for any and every age group and the same thing can be said about CoD. Any more straw-man arguments?

OriginZero

Jun 15, 2011
First off, what's wrong with Harry Potter? You seem to insult it, and I'm not exactly sure why. It's a solid novel that starts off young and grows up with its characters and target audience. So, I don't know where you're going with that one.

Now, is CoD for kids? Meh. It's for anyone who wants fast paced action. I don't like CoD. I own pretty much all of them, but I actually don't really like it. But, I don't think there is a point to insult their player base, and if you don't mean to, it kinda seems like you are in the post.

For "kids"? Nah. For anyone who feels like a first person shooter? Of course. That could be a 10 year old or a 30 year old. It's not inherently for one demographic or the other in this case. At least, that's what I think.

MartialArc

Aug 25, 2010
Why is it that something has to be complicated to be artistic.... the COD campaign might well have been the most moving game I've played. Its an arcade shooter for sure, but the fundamentals of the game are well beyond most of the tripe people are willing to call artistic.

They do a terrific job of making things interactive, the voice acting is good, the writing is believable for the situation.

Also, there are two developers that have worked on the series. The infinity ward games were all good, the treyarch ones were crap. BLOPs, World at War, and COD3, all Treyarch. Same publisher, different developers, same name. Tough distinction to make I know.

They use about the same story telling medium as Half-life and HL2 for COD. In one your a geeky scientist beating the snot out of aliens with a crowbar(EFFING GENIUS), the other a soldier of fortune fighting absurd odds(DERP SMALLBRAINED CARP!!1!)....give me a break.

People hate COD because it is popular.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
It's universal appeal to one of the most basic elements of modern culture.

Basic does not necessarily mean juvenile, but they are close enough.

BigTortoise

May 26, 2011
It's because it's easy. In maybe ten days I was already in first place for a large sum of my CoD matches. By this day, I come in first place maybe 80% of the time, no bullshit.
I even challenge myself to play with only an M9 pistol, still able to do it.

Then I moved to Counter Strike and couldn't get a single kill for the first month of playing. Now I do okay.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
MartialArc said:
Why is it that something has to be complicated to be artistic.... the COD campaign might well have been the most moving game I've played. Its an arcade shooter for sure, but the fundamentals of the game are well beyond most of the tripe people are willing to call artistic.

They do a terrific job of making things interactive, the voice acting is good, the writing is believable for the situation.

Also, there are two developers that have worked on the series. The infinity ward games were all good, the treyarch ones were crap. BLOPs, World at War, and COD3, all Treyarch. Same publisher, different developers, same name. Tough distinction to make I know.

They use about the same story telling medium as Half-life and HL2 for COD. In one your a geeky scientist beating the snot out of aliens with a crowbar(EFFING GENIUS), the other a soldier of fortune fighting absurd odds(DERP SMALLBRAINED CARP!!1!)....give me a break.

Or because not everyone likes the same things as you do and some genuinely believe it is rubbish. Modern Warfare (not it's rubbish sequel) had some nice moments going for it, and that's about it.

MartialArc

Aug 25, 2010
Necromancer Jim said:
MartialArc said:

Or because not everyone likes the same things as you do and some genuinely believe it is rubbish. Modern Warfare (not it's rubbish sequel) had some nice moments going for it, and that's about it.
Not liking something is fine. OMGWTF it is killing teh gamings!1!! is a bit hyperbole, and should stop.

I didn't like it = Your response = normal human being

normal human being + hipster douche tendancies + bandwagon effect = OMFG THIS CARP IS DESTROYING MY ARTS AND ONLY 12 YEAR OLDS CUD EVR LIEK THIS

The second one we could probably do without.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
With that logic, so is... just about every single fps out there, minus some.
Duke Nukem? Well, its got no depth to it, therefore its for kids. Doom? Same.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
MartialArc said:
Necromancer Jim said:
MartialArc said:

Not liking something is fine. OMGWTF it is killing teh gamings!1!! is a bit hyperbole, and should stop.

normal human being + hipster douche tendancies + bandwagon effect = OMFG THIS CARP IS DESTROYING MY ARTS AND ONLY 12 YEAR OLDS CUD EVR LIEK THIS

Maybe I'm just naive, but I'd like to think that no one is legitimately demented enough to follow the second train of thought.

MartialArc

Aug 25, 2010
Necromancer Jim said:
MartialArc said:
Necromancer Jim said:
MartialArc said:

Maybe I'm just naive, but I'd like to think that no one is legitimately demented enough to follow the second train of thought.
I don't think folks consciously decide to be hipster douches or jump on bandwagons. They most certainly do though.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Strain42 said:
-walks up to a podium, clears his throat and speaks into the microphone-

I believe it

-blows a few bubbles from his bubble pipe and walks away-

*nods head*
*claps softly*
*goes back to drinking spring water*

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
Yeah, definately agree with everything in the article.

In fact most of CODs population seems under 15, which is a lot considering that most of our hobby is 25+

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
It's aimed at an older or more "mature" audience add in violence, some curse words, simplistic gameplay and a story line with no real depth and you have kids hooked which is why I'm glad RTS games take some degree of intelligence to play so I don't have to deal with the crap that most people playing FPS games do today and I can honestly say that I feel sorry for you guys.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Midnight Crossroads said:
Have you ever had to drill in front of crowds of people who aren't in the military? It doesn't matter if crawling in the mud will save your life, grown men playing war games shouting, "BAM BAM BAM" at an imaginary bunker is not dignified, but it's damn more advanced than any video game on the subject matter. Seriously, pausing an entire movement because some guys kicked their soccer ball across our path.
Wait, complete tangent here, but... your army makes you yell, "BAM BAM BAM" at imaginary bunkers? And in front of spectators?

I never had to do that. We always got BFAs and blank rounds.

What country are you from?