Apple Patents New "Anti-Sexting" Technology

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Need I remind people that this technology isnt mandatory to use; it will only be turned on if the parents want it to be turned on. I hardly see a violation of rights for minors if minors fall within the responibility of their guardians, BUT THATS JUST ME.

Some of the learning stuff sounds kinda dumb though. Im not going to text my friends Spanish if Im trying to learn Spanish. Derp Apple. As for sexting, I can understand why they would take an initiative to stop it. Its the perfect marketing ploy for protective parents... Now if only we could eliminate sex from TV, Music, Movies, Videogames, Books, teenagers imaginations, schools, work, and 90% of all other entertainment then MAYBE we could possibly get rid of this epidemic. BUT a good start apple.

... Oh wait...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Age level stuff will be hilarious.

"I can't help you with your sex ed homework, i'm only 15! It won't let me send words that have any relation to sex yet. I'm actually surprised its letting me say sex. It censors anything close to %$^&* and *&$%^&".

Edit:

I may as well try my own ways around it.

I'll hover your decking until the dust pockets are empty! :p

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
what. the. fuck.?

fine, I'll jus tput my knickknack in your paddywhack.

a program can't block anything.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Well, even if it's a software update that includes it, I'm the only person who uses my phone, and won't turn it on. And I'm in my second year of college and turning 20 in April 2011 anyway. In other words, fuck you Apple, I'll say whatever I want!

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
Erm...am I the only one who thinks that kids don't need Phones in the first place? I didn't get a phone at all until I was headed off to University. Why does a 10 year old need an iPhone? Really, who are they going to call that they can't use their parents' phone? And once they ARE old enough to have a phone, they should be responsible enough to not need their parents (or Apple's for that matter) bogus Parental Settings.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Does it make me old that my first thought was:
"Text messages cost more than using the data plan + chat program. Why would someone ever use it for sex chat?"

Sexting seems like a huge waste of SMS, and I can't imagine a situation where it would ever be preferable to simply calling someone for phone sex. It sucks that Apple wants to censor people, but I find it hard to care about a few lazy kids that can't just use a phone or the internet to say what they want to each other.

the-kitchen-slayer

Apr 16, 2008
jwien001 said:
olikunmissile said:
Fuck. That.

Too far.

The resistance starts here, WHO'S WITH ME?
No need. It's only a matter of time before our exalted Google overlords release Google Skynet, take over the world, and ensure that Apple is completely and utterly wiped from existence.
~puts on sunglasses, and starts playing the terminator theme in the background~ I'd side with googlenet if it ment apple's demise. Damn Itunes

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I'm half expecting Steve Wazniack to show up at Apple and have an epic battle with Jobs for the good of the company.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
How dare they, they should screw themselves over in my opinion. This is giving all mothers a chance to overrule their kid's lives. Texting is pretty much the only source of non-filtered media available to kids (I mean... without punishment) so who gives them a right to take it away?

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
This seems futile, people will just find ways around the filter. As long as the two people involved know what you are asking you can use any words you want. Hey princess how about some cake tonight?

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
Am I the only person who really doesn't see the problem with this? Not only is the filter optional, but controlled by the parent, not a 3rd-party. Also, the filter is scaled by age, and you guys realize what a patent is, right? Most likely, the technology is not finished, and something tells me they won't let pictures and video uncensored. It's not like owning the iPhone will mean you're official censored forever. Did you guys just read the title and rage, or what?

Something tells me a few basement dwellers might've just lost their only connection to the fairer sex, but to me, this seems like a petty squabble and just another excuse for people to rage hard at Steve Jobs.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
so will it work on the skype thing...?

and that spanish thing is a ***** move, no parent should do that

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I don't see what the big deal is. Apple is merely offering the option for parents to choose whether or not they trust their child. They aren't forcing this on the populace and are just coming up with a new feature to advertise its super phone. The parents are the one's ultimately deciding how their children act and even then its just through texting.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
dammit how do parent expect their children to ever form adult relationships without a few praticse runs first

hope they don't want grandkids

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
jamesworkshop said:
dammit how do parent expect their children to ever form adult relationships without a few praticse runs first

hope they don't want grandkids
There's this wild thing they call life now, where kids can make physical contact with other kids, and, even more surprisingly, meet people of the opposite sex!

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
SextusMaximus said:
How dare they, they should screw themselves over in my opinion. This is giving all mothers a chance to overrule their kid's lives. Texting is pretty much the only source of non-filtered media available to kids (I mean... without punishment) so who gives them a right to take it away?
It's the parent's responsibility, and that's the point. This crap lets them feel like they are parenting when they're not, they're just relying on a crutch, and simply shielding their kids without educating them.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
One thing Apple's anti-sexting filter won't touch is photos or videos attached to messages. And if a picture really is worth a thousand words, 160 characters should be no problem at all.
ah one of many great truths XD

Yeh serious, who sexting without pics nowadays! lol