Are most gamers into metal music?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I can do SOME Metal... but Heavy Metal and Death Metal make me want to pull my ears off. They just sound awful. I'm more into classic rock, some techno, some jazz, J-rock, J-pop, and symphony... yeah... last one is a bit strange.

The Fork of Truth

Aug 10, 2009
I'm a folkie myself, and I can't say I'm into metal very much, unless it's Apocalyptica or Sabaton.

Or Lordi. Yes, I know.

Elonas

Apr 16, 2009
Meh, I'm not a massive fan of metal... There are some bands which I ca stand, but not a lot.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I have to admit, metal does go well with lots of video games. Now that I think about it, I want to rent Cooking Mama or Wii Resort just to see how hilarious those games would be accompanies with metal (someone please post that on youtube). Anyway, regarding escapist, I find escapist to be heavily themed around not being mainstream (Hence the videos by Yatzee and Moviebob), which makes it very appropriate for metal and I guess some hip hop as well.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Guilty, I listen to a good deal of metal- Neurosis, Isis, Rammstein, Psyclon Nine, System of a Down, Mushroomhead, etc. But I listen to other stuff- The Church, U2, Johnny Cash (I fucking love Johnny Cash), Sigur Ros (favorite band ever), Mogwai (close second), Train, etc.

But yeah I think in general, especially to the crowd that bill itself "hardcore" or "serious" or "mature gamers", metal appeals to gamers. But not so much Nintendo ones, maybe, because heavy metal doesn't go so well when playing Pokemon or Wii Fit. But it does when playing Gears of War or Halo 3 or whatever your poison is.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
I've always seen the link between metal and gamers, yet I've never understood it. I myself am a metalhead and a gamer.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
Huh. From what I remember from another music thread a while ago, there were quite a few metalheads, but I also remember numerous people saying that they didn't prefer one genre one way or the other, and had very diverse musical tastes.

As for me, I don't really 'get' a lot of heavy metal. Stickin' to mah Queen and David Bowie!

HTID Raver

Jan 7, 2010
bleh, i dislike metal quite a bit.

i do enjoy classic rock alot and the occasional drum and bass, and hard style if i need to get pumped to game lol

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I listen to metal as much as everything else. I enjoy various types of music, and metal is a good one. It's good for wasting people in FPS games, which is what I mainly play.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
I like a small number of metal genre's, namely, sludge, doom and thrash. I care little for the rest though, and rate them alongside pop and dance.

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
I like all kinds of music. But I will say something that has likely been said before, if you've played Brutal Legend (don't remember know how to put the Umlauts in there) you probably like metal more than you used to. If you had told me before I played that game that I would listen to a song with a title like "Cry of the Banshee" and enjoy it because it reminded me of an actually fun and atmospheric sequence leading up to and the actual fight with a giant spider (as an bit of an aracnophobic individual, this is more unlikely) I would have said "What? Why?"

I'm not in the habit of calling people crazy. But I love that song because it reminds me of one of the two giant spider sequences in video games I actually enjoyed. The other being the giant spider in Twilight Princess, because it scared the crap out of me when they first revealed it and the way you defeated it was more hilarious as a result.

Brutal Legend also corrected some inaccurate assumptions I had about metal music. Such as that all singers screamed with larynx-shattering force into the microphone in an unintelligible fashion. If Tim Schafer and Jack Black hadn't been in this and the trailer hadn't had good music (which, admittedly, lived up to my assumptions but the lines in between were understandable) I probably wouldn't have played it and would probably still hear the words "heavy metal" and associate them with demon-worship and uncomfortably violent movement with the neck. Seriously, your neck isn't supposed to do that, it does lasting damage.

AldirTK

Mar 17, 2010
I'm very into melodic death metal, which could've come as a derivative of other types of music that tend to focus on sound rather than lyrics.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I've been a gamer for a considerably longer period than I've been into Metal, so I wouldn't necessarily argue that there is a distinct correlation between the two. It's more a confluence of factors - young men are both a considerable percentage of Metal's global audience and unarguably the largest demographic represented here, Metal is music for nerds and gamers are nerds, etc. Being a gamer really doesn't have anything to do with your preference in music, it only looks that way thanks to the overlap in the gamer/metal fan demographics (especially on forums like this where 90% of the posters are teenagers).

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Oh That Dude said:
I think that a lot of serious gamers (i.e. not casuals) like metal, so a large proportion of The 'scapist like metal.

\m/
I think depends more on the genres you play most, not on how much you play overall. Casual's usually are into Indie or Dance, FPS players into Hip Hop and RPG and Strategy players into Metal. Im sure this is wrong about alot of people but in my experience I believe thats how it is.

Freeze_L

Feb 17, 2010
In the words of Ill Bill "The energy is the same for me" that is i get the same feel from good rap hip-hop, metal, and video games. I love metal for the harsh angry feel you get, and i now love rap and hip hop for the great beat presented, the emotions conveyed, and the emphasis on word play. I like both, and i think they compliment each other, they are very equal but not the same thing.