Are Valve even AWARE of how badly they're screwing up?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
At this point, I wonder why the hell fans haven't just made their own episode 3 on garry's mod and ended this "Hype train" years ago.

And the only worse train to get on than a hype train would be one that drives straight into the mouth of a volcano.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Valve have infinite Steam money. People will literally pay them for nothing because 50% of Steam purchases are never even downloaded.

And they love doing it.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
NuclearKangaroo said:
its valve, perfection (or as close as it gets) takes time
The same valve who allow broken ass games on their storefront? Mr Perfect they are not, more of a Curtis Axel.

Krige

Oct 27, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
its valve, perfection (or as close as it gets) takes time
Have you played ANYTHING by Valve recently? Perfection is the last thing on their mind, if I had a nickel for every patch that breaks more than it fixes...

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
If there's one thing I can count around here it's ignorance and/or misinformation of Valve and it's associated projects; or just about anything really. It just....never fails.

I guess it's easier to presume everything instead of looking it up. Oh well.

Anyway:
- http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/23/gabe-on-ricochet-2-delay-but-he-doesnt-mean-ricochet/

- http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/23/half-life-3-being-worked-on-says-counter-strike-creator

- http://www.valvetime.net/threads/exclusive-half-life-2-episode-3-concept-art.206815/

- http://www.valvetime.net/threads/up...h-more-found-on-valve-project-tracker.243580/

- http://www.computerandvideogames.com/431918/half-life-3-development-team-revealed-via-network-leak/

- http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2cv5os/

You can argue all day that Half-Life 3 might end up being cancelled at some point, and any rational person would agree, but to say it's not in active development, or never was, is just demonstrably wrong.

There is other info out there on Half-Life 3's development, but I really just don't feel like wasting more time looking it up. I've lost count on how many times I've tried to show this info to people. If others want to see it they can look it up themselves.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
Valve have infinite Steam money. People will literally pay them for nothing because 50% of Steam purchases are never even downloaded.

And they love doing it.
That is actually funny, if you can link a reliable source for this.
Not finishing games is one thing, but not even touching half of your games is nuts.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Racecarlock said:
At this point, I wonder why the hell fans haven't just made their own episode 3 on garry's mod and ended this "Hype train" years ago.
Oh, but they did. And it was glorious.

Truth be told, I've never been a Half-Life fan. I understand and appreciate the series' appeal and the impact it made on the industry, but my personal playing experience was rather underwhelming. The only thing I really look forward to from Valve is Hat Fortress 2 updates.

Krige

Oct 27, 2010
veloper said:
The actual (average) value is around 36% of games in library unplayed. This is based on a compilation of 176 million profiles:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/introducing-steam-gauge-ars-reveals-steams-most-popular-games/

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Half Life 1 to Half Life 2 was 6 years. TFC to TF2 was 8 years. CS:S to CS:GO was 8 years. Even Portal 2, a relatively small game, took 4 years from Portal.

Everyone should know by now that Valve take their sweet arse time to make games. It's only 7 years since HL2:Ep2, they will make it when they're goddamn ready.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Zombie_Fish said:
There's a Dorkly article this thread reminds me of a lot: http://www.dorkly.com/post/54448/a-message-from-gabe-newell

I also agree with the people saying that HL3 would only damage the company. If it were to be released, people would have the same conclusion they had for Duke Nukem Forever; overhyped and not worth the many years of waiting.
What about for someone like me that only played all the Half Life games recently and would be able to give a relatively fair review since I don't have a decade of difference in for it?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
runequester said:
Evonisia said:
Artaneius said:
Look at H4 for example. Game sold well, but MS and 343 industries reputation went to shit because they "gasped" sold out to the CoD crowd and betrayed the original arena shooter fanbase.
Well that and Halo 4 was pretty shit even outside of the multiplayer. It was also made by cynical developers desperate to appease the fan base by carrying on a plot thread that was ended like that to finish Master Chief's story.
Hate to say it, but listening to the fan base too much isn't always a good idea.
I agree. Bungie tried that with Halo: Reach. 343 didn't try that with Halo 4. You lose regardless unless you're really dedicated to what you want to do.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
J Tyran said:
I never said it would be a console exclusive at all... Steam OS will run on almost every PC that runs Windows and is free so nobody would have to buy a new anything.
I doubt very much that they would do that unless they knew ahead of time that Steam OS was having a high uptake.

That tactic worked for Half Life 2 because Steam fit into the existing Windows infrastructure, making (or trying to make) every player who wants your game create a dedicated syste, a dual booting system or wipe off their old OS would be more or less a death sentence for mass market sales. Plus the backlash would be horrendous.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
HL 3 will happen. Its just a matter of why they make Half Life. Half Life series has always been made to push a game engine. A very solid and stable game engine. Once they finish the Source 2 engine then they have an in house engine to make their games with for the next decade, so they really want to get it right day 1. Also mean Steam has made Valve more then a game developer thats why they have the leeway to make very polished games that are probably made at this point as much for their reputation with fans as they are to sell.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009

any day now, i am sure they will give us a release date. Patience my brothers and sisters of steam. Any day now.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Scorpid said:
HL 3 will happen. Its just a matter of why they make Half Life. Half Life series has always been made to push a game engine. A very solid and stable game engine. Once they finish the Source 2 engine then they have an in house engine to make their games with for the next decade, so they really want to get it right day 1. Also mean Steam has made Valve more then a game developer thats why they have the leeway to make very polished games that are probably made at this point as much for their reputation with fans as they are to sell.
The point is that Half Life 2's expansions were supposed to be episodic. The developer commentary in episodes 1 and 2 touted the episodic formula in between self-back-patting over their supposed "amazing techniques of storytelling." The Source 2 engine hadn't been announced, and nothing had changed the perception that Episode 3 not coming out on schedule was an increasingly blatant breach of verbal contract to many players. They were promised something, and never got so much as an apology or a "don't worry, we're just off-schedule."

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
It could never live up to expectations, so they will never make it. Simple.
I still don't even know why people want it so badly. Even for their time, the others fairly average. Half of episode 2 is spent in the most boring boat sections ever and the only defense people have for the game is 'muh gravity gun'.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
veloper said:
GloatingSwine said:

And they love doing it.
Not finishing games is one thing, but not even touching half of your games is nuts.
The average is actually lower, 37% of all owned games are unplayed, 13% more are played for less than an hour [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/introducing-steam-gauge-ars-reveals-steams-most-popular-games/], but there's variation depending on how the games are acquired. Games bought in sales are bundled are much less likely to be downloaded and played.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I remember after The Dark Knight, the Nolans didn't want to do another Batman. They finally decided they found the right story to finish the trilogy. And look how that turned out.

I really liked Bioshock Infinite but many people didn't. Mass Effect 3 as another. Return of the Jedi. Back to the Future 3. Godfather 3

Trilogies (or series) have to end, causing pain and suffering losing that moment in your timeline. Also, there is not many endings that are good to an average movies, never mind a trilogy. The best you could ask for is a Last Crusade.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
7 years? According to Valve time it's been 11 minutes and 23 seconds! You're all expecting too much!