Are you actually good at gaming?

Brightzide

Nov 22, 2009
Ive gamed since I was 4 or so with a mega-drive originally, grew up always having my dad upgrade our PC for gaming and buy the lastest consoles, and game we did. I'd be upset with myself if I was bad. But I find myself consistanly coming 1st or 2nd on Multiplayer games score-boards. My current game is APB: Reloaded, and im maintaining a gold threat level of 4 with stock weaponry so I reckon im pretty decent at it. Also, I despise racing games...like, completely hate them with a passion, they're just so boring. I am just incredibly good at them, make them look piss-easy. on the hardest difficulties against CPUs and online, I win 9 of 10 races or so. But my god do I hate them. Automobiles suck, just not motorbikes, love motorbikes like my Ducati 999 :)

AwkwardTurtle

Aug 21, 2011
I'm pretty good at RPGs, they're sort of my bread and butter. Grew up playing them. :D
Shooters? Meh~ I'd like to think I'm only really average at them with the occasional lucky hot streak when it comes to multiplayer. Often in single player I can manage to do the mode just above normal, but below the insane master skill level type difficulty. :p
Ah, the RTS. A genre that I'm constantly interested in but can never seem to be good at. My only real strategy in many RTS games that I play in single player mode is to amass as big an army as possible and go towards the objective. I can't even stand a fighting chance to those who compete in multiplayer.
Racing games? Well I never really tried them so much. I'd like to think I'm average in that area too based on the little experience I've had playing them.
Sports games? I'm pretty good at most of those too. :D At least against the AI I am. x3 I tried online multiplayer once. It did not go well.

Overall I think I'm able to easily breeze through most games on the normal difficulty, but I'm only pretty average as an online gamer in most genres.

Except the RTS... Oh how I can never seem to wrap my head around a strategy more complex than build and go to the objective destroying anything in my path. xD

chiMmy

Mar 8, 2010
I've always been good at reaction games, IE Quake(Mostly QL and Q3) and the likes. In CS I'm either awesome or trash, nothing in between.

Also, most of the time I'm the best player when I play LoL. I do however have to confess to me being quite stupid(not ALL the time) while playing LoL, what makes me good is my ability to farm and my builds.

Also in recent times I've become quite good at console fps. I'm not always top, but I'm near the top atleast.

Edit: I have some problem when playing certain games. Like when me and my other quake-friends get together and play the shit out of Q3 I just can't play fullscreen and use my headset. To play my best I have to take of the headset and focus only on the little screen(1024x800) on my 24"(1920x1080) screen.
I'm kind of wierd that way.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I'm no competition standard pro, but I tends to be able to hold out pretty well against harder difficulties and do fairly well in multiplayer battles. It's just practice at the end of the day, you do something a lot and you develop your skills with it.

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
I'm better at some types of games than others. While I am simply OKAY at FPS games like TF2 and Fallout, I excel greatly in music games like Pump It Up, ITG, and IIDX and learn to play games like Guitar Hero and DJMax Technika significantly faster than most (cleared all of Expert in the original GH within the first month it came out). I like puzzle games like Tetrisphere and Panel de Pon and consider myself skilled in the latter, but not on a competitive level. The only racing game I do well in is Mario Kart Wii, which I have stopped playing due to the increasingly rampant amount of cheating in online play (highest point count I had was around the mid 9600s or so).

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
FPS's = Hell yes. Everything from Battlefield to Quake. I owned at Tribes 2 back in the day. I also beat Halo 2 on Legendary, aged 10.
Fighting Games = I'm alright. The best out of all of my friends, but my lack of a joystick limits my ability.
RPG's = Yes. I'm quite the strategist.
RTS's = Haven't played them in donkeys years, although, back when I played Warcraft 3 I was quite good. I've been considering Starcraft 2, once I upgrade my computer.
Hack'n'slash = Ninja Gaiden. Very Hard mode. I've also beaten a couple of the DMC's on Dante Must Die.
Third Person = Yes. I stormed through Vanquish on Hard mode in 4 hours, and I've beaten MGS4 on The Boss Extreme.
Puzzle = Portal 2 took me 5 hours.
Racing = I will kick ass on Wipeout.

I play every game I get immediately on the hardest difficulty available. I enjoy the challenge, and I tend to come out on top in online games. At least in the top 3.

Although, all this could change once my copy of Demon's Souls arrives. I'll report back to you when my spirit has been crushed...

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
(WARNING: ANOTHER CoD STORY) I'm pretty good. I've never prided myself on quick-scoping, but one of my friends asked me to 1v1 and I trounced him 30 to 19.

I've also played through Mass Effect on Insanity several times.

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
I'm getting better. In most online games I rank in the upper half of the scoreboard about 75% of the time and in the top third about 50% of the time. Also after realising that I can complete most games in a day or two I have increased the difficulty I play everything at. So that's normal for RTSs and sports games and hard for everything else.

Ir0n Squid

May 17, 2010
I'm so bad-ass that I've beaten Minecraft...twice. [/sarcasm]

Truth: I play a game more for the story than anything. I have a couple of epic moments in StarCraft or LOL. Had one 20 kill streak in BF2:BC. Otherwise I'm content with playing on Normal difficulty (or the next higher, if I've already beaten it) and enjoying the story.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Nah, I'm not good at gaming...

I AM A GOD!

*cough* As I was saying, I'm excellent at Battlefield, CoDBO, pretty goof at Halo and epic at Age of Empires 3. That's all the games I care to mention atm.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I'm good in the genres i like enough to become good (Fighters, Survival Horror, Action, Puzzles and some casual and browser games). I suck at any sports/racing games, rpg, fps and others.
Videos I've made:

dangitall

Mar 16, 2010
I'm decent at everything except FPS and RTS. I'm recent at large games though, I usually played small online flash games from probably 10 to now (15 years old).

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
I suck at RTS games and detest them quite a bit. I don't like the whole aggressive part where you have to keep expanding and moving up and attacking ... I like to build my lovely city/fortress/base/whatever, fortify the perimeter and then sally out.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to win games..

In action/FPS games I can consider myself to be quite good. I frequently dominate a good number of people on the opposing team in TF2.

I also tend to play a game on the higher difficulty levels (not highest, as they usually are frustratingly difficult).

I have actually no idea why I posted it, as nobody will quote this post and start a discussion of some kind o_O

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
CrashBang said:
So, gamers, what games do you suck at, even if you love them and play them often?
I tend to get fairly good at anything I put a lot of hours into. That's kind of the way games are. I'm 25, if that means anything.

The fact that you're not very good probably means you have a life and that's a good thing. I stay away from competitive gaming as much as possible because I know I'll get addicted -- I hate losing so much that I will steal time from all other activities to hone and upkeep my skills. I've tried to play casually, but apparently I never leveled up my self-control stat as a kid.

I find that watching my gf play fps's fills the void pretty nicely -- I get similar satisfaction when she does well as I would if it were me playing and I get even more satisfaction making her feel better when she does poorly. I call that a good tradeoff.

I prefer deep storylines anyway so it's not a huge loss.

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
I am decent at everything, but I don't put in the effort needed to make it to the top, nor am I fast enough to make it to a fancy league in for instance Starcraft 2.

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
J.J said:
Don't let me touch an RTS. I will lose, you will lose, the company who made the game will also lose. I'm just that terribad.
That means you lost so hard that you actually won. That's still a win.

Anyone can be a winner if your definition of victory is loose enough.

Liviola

May 9, 2011
Growing up as an only child and having played a lot of games since age 5, my specialty is single player games and I can finish quite quickly and without breaking a sweat or getting stuck for too long (even those that many might complain about being difficult) especially if there's problem-solving elements.

Fighting games, however, I am pretty pathetic at. I can't resist the urge to button mash, even after I've memorised all the moves and have played enough that I should be able to strategize and react to the opponenent, it just feels so good to button mash, like immediate reinforcement for zero effort XD

Driving games, also, I make no effort when I play them because they're just BORING to me. Going around in circles? Yaaaaaaaaaaay -_- Here's the way I feel about it: a car is a tool to get you from point A to point B, and it boggles my mind to consider wasting time and resources making them go in circles. Sure, if you race a plane and a car, it's like "whoa, plane is more awesome because it saves hours of travel time!" but beyond that (like a car beating another car by 1 millisecond) is just.. not worth my time to even look at.