are you going to buy mass effect andromeda?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I did. Its not perfect, it could use a good bit of polishing, but... its reminiscent of the fun of ME2 enough to justify my purchase. Could it be better? Absolutely and Bioware has fallen far from the KOTOR/Jade Empire days.

Vorlayn

Jun 3, 2010
I might have gotten it....but it seems to be Origin-exclusive. And that is one requirement I will not install. Such a shame they will not work with GOG...

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
bastardofmelbourne said:
Gethsemani said:
Yes, Bioware dropped the ball on the animations, but let's not pretend as if their job is easy.
Well, it's hard, but it's also their job. And they're a reputable company with a long history releasing the fourth installment of a major franchise. I would expect them to get this shit right. Other studios do, after all. Witcher 3 and DX:MD had much better facial animation. Hell, even Fallout 4 was better.

It may be because their budget got strangled, but we won't know that until later on when the developers start talking about it. Honestly, I feel like Andromeda ought to have been an original IP. They should've just gone full space Western with a new setting, ideally one where revolvers make sense from a technological perspective. It's the same feeling I get from God of War 4. It's like, this thing is so different from its predecessor, so why bother connecting them? People are more likely to get hyped over a new IP from a reputable developer (c.f. Destiny) than they are for a fourth dose of the same old shit.
Shit, just look at Horizon Zero Dawn (really feels like that title needs a colon) - brand new IP that did things completely differently to the company's previous success and people ate it right the fuck up. Lord knows if ME:A was a new IP (even if it was the same game just without the Mass Effect elements) I'd be way more keen for it, but as it stands it keeps getting pushed back in my purchase-queue for other games because... well, Mass Effect 3 did a good enough job of finishing things, I don't really get all warm and fuzzy for a game that's going 'OH BY THE WAY THIS WAS ALSO HAPPENING'.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
I was planning to but after it became apparent that the game has a bunch of quality issues, namely poor animation and writing, no, I'm not.

In fact I bought Horizon Zero Dawn instead. No regrets. First game I've bought in ages that I've really loved. Doesn't do anything new for a sandbox, but it takes all the old ideas, mixes them together and executes it near perfectly. Here's hoping I enjoy Persona 5 just as much.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Generalissimo said:
No.
the graphics and animations are a bad joke
The combat looks samey
Voice acting is wooden
Story fails to intrigue

It's just plain awful looking
You need to get some glasses, buddy.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
No, never. Launch issues aside, Mass Effect 3 killed any interest in the series for me. No, not just the ending, I had many issues with the game as a whole. The pick a colour ending was just the icing.
It was much like a sponge cake from Woolworths; looked okay but was dry, bland and more disappointing than you thought.

Looks like a bland third person shooter with a story nailed on. I have Ghost Recon: Wildlands for that. The ONLY thing that had me vaguely interested was the female Turian companion and a Youtube video later and I was thoroughly disappointed at the lack of potential.
I'd play it if somebody just randomly gave me a copy for PS4. I ain't installing Origin on my PC and I still need another Hard Drive for it.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
They got the Mass Effect Archive online: https://masseffectarchives.com/en_US/

So its now possible to share custom Ryders.

Mine is this: https://masseffectarchives.com/#user/2250454534/playthrough/1968214614/gender/female

Used preset 9 to get close to Lara Croft from Tomb Raider reboot:

Ingame:
[http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=5ae977-1490460429.png]

Considering the limits of the creator I think I got pretty close. So far seems to work alright. Can't fix animations of course but seems less noticeable.

Kinda silly that a preset with IMO caucasian bone structure results in a Samuel L Jackson father despite white as toast bread twin/son and daughter skin colour.
I guess they are adopeted or his wife cheated on him xD

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Generalissimo said:
No.
The combat looks samey
Voice acting is wooden
Story fails to intrigue

wow, that sure showed me.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Generalissimo said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Generalissimo said:
No.
The combat looks samey
Voice acting is wooden
Story fails to intrigue

wow, that sure showed me.
Yep I sure was trying :^)

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
I already did, and it's fucking incredible. I have seen exactly one goofy animation in 10-12 hours, and exactly two quick lines of dialogue that were dumb.

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Captain Marvelous said:
Nope. I haven't even played the first three games, despite the fact that I own them. Controller support really goes a long way.

Also, this doesn't leave a good impression.
Yet the older one somehow still looks better....
It really doesn't though. They took the absolute worst looking character in the entire game in the worst lighting situation in the entire game and compared it to the absolute best case scenario in the first game, while it isn't favorable because there is a decade gap, it's still substantially better in the new one.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Nope and this is why I refuse, courtesy of CrowBat who made similar video making fun of games like Blunderborn and the Ouya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KWkao73HuU

Plus it has Denuvo and I fucking hate Denuvo.

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
The game is a mixed bag

Pros --
A couple interesting companions.

Beautiful environments to explore.

Combat is actually fun, and easy to die in if you don't pay attention.

Lots of quests to do, that actually feel like they have some impact on the world around you. Save a guy on a mission? He might later turn up at a base and thank you. Further in, even more people might mention that action. -- Its a far cry from Mass effects 3, fetch quests or Dragon Age Inquisitions mmo style quests.

Companion interaction -- They always seem to have something to say with one another.

Cons -

Right out of the gate, its hard bordering on impossible to create a good looking character. I actually started turning on options to leave my helmet on whenever possible.

The ugly stick also extends to most npcs. They will give you flat dead eye stares that would creep anyone out.

Some of the writing occasionally gets either sappy, or sound like they outsourced the script to China. Really, would a western writer ever type something like, "my face is tired"? Doubtless folks here have already seen the memes.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
mavkiel said:
The game is a mixed bag

Pros --
A couple interesting companions.

Beautiful environments to explore.

Combat is actually fun, and easy to die in if you don't pay attention.

Lots of quests to do, that actually feel like they have some impact on the world around you. Save a guy on a mission? He might later turn up at a base and thank you. Further in, even more people might mention that action. -- Its a far cry from Mass effects 3, fetch quests or Dragon Age Inquisitions mmo style quests.

Companion interaction -- They always seem to have something to say with one another.

Cons -

Right out of the gate, its hard bordering on impossible to create a good looking character. I actually started turning on options to leave my helmet on whenever possible.

The ugly stick also extends to most npcs. They will give you flat dead eye stares that would creep anyone out.

Some of the writing occasionally gets either sappy, or sound like they outsourced the script to China. Really, would a western writer ever type something like, "my face is tired"? Doubtless folks here have already seen the memes.
Crowbcat made his video:

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
meowchef said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Captain Marvelous said:
Nope. I haven't even played the first three games, despite the fact that I own them. Controller support really goes a long way.

Also, this doesn't leave a good impression.
Yet the older one somehow still looks better....
It really doesn't though. They took the absolute worst looking character in the entire game in the worst lighting situation in the entire game and compared it to the absolute best case scenario in the first game, while it isn't favorable because there is a decade gap, it's still substantially better in the new one.
Must I show you the intro in Mass Effect 2 with the Illusive Man and Miranda Lawson, a game 7 years ago and still looks increadbile today?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
So, due to some very public (and not entirely unfair) mishaps like Addison's face/dialogue, ME:A is now pulling a reverse Dragon Age Inquisition. Which is to say, instead of being a soggy/shitty game inexplicably winning GOTY prizes, it's actually a very good game getting pilloried.

The scope of the game is absolutely enormous. The planets are huge. They're stuffed with a lot of open-world-plague hotspots and mini-quests, but at least a cursory effort was made this time to make them palatable, and thanks to the game's setting and theme you can be farting around on a planet for 20 hours surveying shit and helping settlers and it does NOT create ludonarrative dissonance because that is literally your job. This is the same kind of sleight of hand Witcher 3 manager, where bonking harpies and clearing out nests was directly in Geralt's bailiwick.

There are some definite incidences of wonk animations and lighting (lighting in particular is a real bugbear here) and some extremely pedestrian writing in places, but not to any truly dramatic degree outside of a small handful of high profile instances. It's extremely evident that the game needed the same 6-12 months of pre-launch hand polishing Witcher 3 got to clean up a lot of the dialogue sequences and properly shade some of the characters and they just never got it, due to an already protracted development time. Likely caused because...as previously mentioned...the game is HUGE.

The combat is extremely solid. Won't shame any true action titles but it's kinetic and fun and has a good "game feel". Adding a Y axis to Mass Effect's simple cover based mechanics is the refresher jolt it needed. The characters are largely charming and a step up from Inquisition's drab bunch. The story likely ranks amongst Bioware's worst, but it's not horrendous by any means.

There's some UI peculiarities that are annoying, and some baffling design decisions. The crafting/loot mechanics are not particularly invigorating. The Codex is dull and there are lots of little bugs. But from a pure value perspective the game is solid. Had it been $20 less expensive, I'd be calling it an excellent deal, in large part because the solid horde-mode multiplayer gives it good legs.

Honestly guys, this is a game that is going to be viewed quite fondly when looked back at. It's better than the reviews indicate. Do I think a high 70's score is appropriate for what it was when it launched? Yeah, but only if these scoring systems were used properly. I also think DA:I deserved something in the 50's. This is a better game than DA:I and DA2 (and ME3 pre-DLC), and in terms of theme and content much more closely resembles ME1 than either of its sequels. It's not a bad game. If you like this KIND of game, you could do a lot worse. It's got enough warts and issues that if you go looking for trouble you're going to find it. But if you can turn off the part of your brain that rebels at occasional jank...and if you've ever played a Bethesda game you should be WELL versed in doing that...you'll find a lot to like.

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
So, due to some very public (and not entirely unfair) mishaps like Addison's face/dialogue, ME:A is now pulling a reverse Dragon Age Inquisition. Which is to say, instead of being a soggy/shitty game inexplicably winning GOTY prizes, it's actually a very good game getting pilloried.

The scope of the game is absolutely enormous. The planets are huge. They're stuffed with a lot of open-world-plague hotspots and mini-quests, but at least a cursory effort was made this time to make them palatable, and thanks to the game's setting and theme you can be farting around on a planet for 20 hours surveying shit and helping settlers and it does NOT create ludonarrative dissonance because that is literally your job. This is the same kind of sleight of hand Witcher 3 manager, where bonking harpies and clearing out nests was directly in Geralt's bailiwick.

There are some definite incidences of wonk animations and lighting (lighting in particular is a real bugbear here) and some extremely pedestrian writing in places, but not to any truly dramatic degree outside of a small handful of high profile instances. It's extremely evident that the game needed the same 6-12 months of pre-launch hand polishing Witcher 3 got to clean up a lot of the dialogue sequences and properly shade some of the characters and they just never got it, due to an already protracted development time. Likely caused because...as previously mentioned...the game is HUGE.

The combat is extremely solid. Won't shame any true action titles but it's kinetic and fun and has a good "game feel". Adding a Y axis to Mass Effect's simple cover based mechanics is the refresher jolt it needed. The characters are largely charming and a step up from Inquisition's drab bunch. The story likely ranks amongst Bioware's worst, but it's not horrendous by any means.

There's some UI peculiarities that are annoying, and some baffling design decisions. The crafting/loot mechanics are not particularly invigorating. The Codex is dull and there are lots of little bugs. But from a pure value perspective the game is solid. Had it been $20 less expensive, I'd be calling it an excellent deal, in large part because the solid horde-mode multiplayer gives it good legs.

Honestly guys, this is a game that is going to be viewed quite fondly when looked back at. It's better than the reviews indicate. Do I think a high 70's score is appropriate for what it was when it launched? Yeah, but only if these scoring systems were used properly. I also think DA:I deserved something in the 50's. This is a better game than DA:I and DA2 (and ME3 pre-DLC), and in terms of theme and content much more closely resembles ME1 than either of its sequels. It's not a bad game. If you like this KIND of game, you could do a lot worse. It's got enough warts and issues that if you go looking for trouble you're going to find it. But if you can turn off the part of your brain that rebels at occasional jank...and if you've ever played a Bethesda game you should be WELL versed in doing that...you'll find a lot to like.
Not only is that scene in almost complete darkness intentionally to hide as much of the negativity as possible, the mouth sync issues with the dialogue that you CAN see is objectively worse than Andromeda. Miranda's teeth are exposed 100% of the time she's speaking.

I'm not putting ME2 down at all. I love the first trilogy. I'm just not the type of person to blow small issues out of proportion to make myself look cool, which is what the vast majority of people who are complaining are doing.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The animations can be fixed, they could hire better voice actors and redo the dialogue. They can't change the story. If it is as bland as the people who have played it make it out to be, then unless they get a better writer for the sequels, each subsequent game is going to be reviewed just as poorly as Andromeda.