Artist Quits Superman Book Over Orson Scott Card Furor

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Friv said:
Therumancer said:
My basic attitude on the subject is that boycotting someone's work for being anti-gay is the same as doing it because it's pro-gay.
I'm going to stop you right there.

Being anti-gay is not a statement of opinion, or a political belief. It is not like taking a stand on gun control, or climate change, or taxes, or abortion.

Being anti-gay is about being a bigot. Full stop. There is no middle ground. It is morally identical to being antisemitic, or anti-black. There is no excuse for it. There is no justification for it. There is no rationale for it. There are explanations for it, and they can make me sympathetic to the person who is being a bigot, but an explanation is not an excuse. Being anti-gay is about declaring that someone else is lesser than you because they are not precisely like you, and makes you a worse person than you were before. It creates artificial barriers between people, and segregates a category of person into being second-class citizens for the rest of their lives, causing misery and pain to millions of people, for literally no reason at all beyond your own issues.

It is awful. It is indefensible. It is utterly wrong.

I do not get mad at groups like One Million Moms because they are trying to boycott someone for their beliefs. I get mad because those beliefs are utterly, inexcusably vile.

... which of course is what keeps things nasty and an ongoing battle, since a whole heck of a lot of people, close to 50% of the population in the US, and probably like 90% of the population globally (given that the second and third world which vastly outnumber the first world are hardly hotbeds of tolerance on this subject) disagree with you.

The extremity to which this stance is taken, and mirrored on other issues (ie the other side is entirely wrong and their position is utterly, indefensibly wrong) is a big part of why the country is such a mess right now, and why a lot of sociologists are predicting a civil war, not so much over gay rights, though that will be one of several related issues. With presidential elections being run by single digits and a lot of people on both sides rallying on the big issues and seeing the other side as basically being the devil, it's inevitable that at some point a seemingly major victory by one side or the other is going to lead to the other inevitably striking to "take back the country".

That said, on this paticular issue there are three major positions.

On the right wing side of things you have those who believe being homosexual should be illegal. This can be for a lot of differant reasons which I won't go into specifically, but they amount to moralistic arguements, defenses of traditional "family values" and social structure, and the continued enforcement of early "common laws" (as they applied to the US) which form the foundation of society. Up until fairly recently laws against buggery, homosexuality, and other things were actually on the books, and this side is pretty much for enforcing the law and maintaining a way of life that has existed up until the last couple of centuries, whether anyone agrees or disagrees with it.

On the left wing side of things you have those (like you) who believe in the complete and total acceptance of homosexuals, feeling there is nothing wrong with it on any level, and anything negative presented is by definition going to be a lie or propaganda presented by the other side.

In the middle you have people like me who are hated by both sides, who basically encourage compromise. That is to say that being homosexual shouldn't be illegal, but it should be registered and controlled at least for the short term. You have arguements on both sides about issues like whether gay men are more pre-disposed to attacking children, with both sides of things claiming to have debunked the other side as liars. Something that catches law enforcement and things like Code Adam training in an odd position of having to seperate practice and profiling from politically correct realities, and ignore patterns, and similar things, while fights over how powerful groups like NAMBLA are rage left and right. My basic arguement for intents and purposes tends to come down to registering gay men at least, prohibiting them from various areas they are not likely to want to go anyway, and then tracking and observing. In the long run if it turns out the left wing is right, and there are no issues over a period of time, so be it, and you can remove the
limits after a generation or two of observation, if the opposite is uncovered you have the option to implement more hardcore laws.

I'm not going to argue the point other than to say the middle ground is comparitively rare. To a left winger I'm evil because I'm not for total and unconditional acceptance. To a right winger on the subject I'm evil because I'm pretty much letting homosexuals do whatever they want with each other (I don't care what consenting adults do on their own time) and any pretensions of limitations are pointless, especially if your talking about long term data gathering and tracking that might not see any immediate effect if it ever does (which to a serious right winger just seems like an excuse to pacify some of them while letting the behavior go on).

As a result I'm hardly pro-gay, but I'm not anti-gay either. I'm not going to argue the point here, just making a statement about the way things break down as far as "sides" go.

That said, when it comes to someone's writing their political affiliation has nothing to do with anything, if they aren't talking on that paticular subject. I can appreciate tales told by people from positions I seriously do not
agree with. I also do not believe that we should have say scrapped the entire space program because Werner Von Braun
was pretty much the worst kind of person, going by what the Nazis did (who were anti-gay, anti-jewish, anti-gypsy, and pretty much anti- anyone not meeting their genetic ideal), I can respect his contributions to technology and Aeronautics without liking him, or approving with him trying to launch god knows how many V2s on civilians even after he pretty
much knew the war was over and it was pointless.

My point is that sure, to you OSC might be another Von Braun, but you can appreciate his work without agreeing with him as a person.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Am I the only one who sees this as unfortunate? I believe that personal and professional views should be kept seperate. Knowing nothing else about the issue, it looks to me like an artist has stepped down because of an irrelevant and unwarranted reaction by media, fans and retailers over the storyteller's controversial views. Don't get me wrong, I disagree with him and his actions are despicable, but unless he intends to use the comics to broadcast his mindset, they shouldn't be an issue. After all, Fez was still a good game. Just because the creator is a bigot doesn't mean the creation is going to reflect that or be tarnished because of it. If the comic ended up being homophobic in some way, then people would rightly criticise that.

That said, it's your prerogative to vote with your wallets and not support the creator's views by boycotting their creation, but someone completely unrelated has lost out this time. He didn't say he left because he couldn't bear working with such an intolerable bigot, he said it was because of the media attention.

In the end...I find that I am a hypocrite, because I am fine with boycotting games for their publishers' marketing practises without taking the developer into account, and yet I am against boycotting potentially good content (and forget that, even proven good content) to make a point about the creator's views. So...fuck.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Understandable. If I were the artist then I wouldn't want to be associated with him, either.
As for the debate going on here? No, I wouldn't look past the fact that money spent on this issue would go to NOM, which is something I certainly wouldn't want to support with my cash. I would also advocate to other comic book readers that this would happen, telling them that I think they shouldn't support Card and NOM with their cash, either. And thus a boycott is born.
It has nothing to do with freedom of speech, which protects you from government interference, and everything to do with public opinion and voting with your wallet.
We've actually had this discussion going on in R&P for some time now.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Keep Sprouse, and make OSC work on Green Lantern instead :p
No, you keep him the hell away from my love. Put him on Archie or something.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I applaud this artist. It takes balls to potentially risk your career by doing, what I believe to be, the right thing.

My respects to you.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Voxgizer said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Archie comics wouldn't even touch OSC with a 10-ft poll. Even they have standards and also adamantly defended having gay marriage featured as a cover story in their comic.

Personally I'm glad that the artist has dumped his responsibility in this story. Whatever talent in writing OSC may have had when he first started writing has shrivelled away as his views became narrowly refined into bigoted hate. I have no reason to believe his treatment of Superman will be any better than any of his more recent writing atrocities, where his beliefs have obviously seeped into.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
ChristopherT said:
There's a small part of all this that I do not understand. There are people who want Card fired? or not be allowed to work on Superman comics. There are people who want someone to not have a job because of his personal beliefs. I don't care how much of a dick head, asshole, bigot Card is, isn't that still discrimination against him or possible other -ations?
Oh don't be silly. He's not being discriminated against. He's free to do any job he wants, just not anything artistic under his bigotted name which allows people like you and me to easily decry it. /s

Joking aside, I'm actually quite torn on this one. On the one hand I do love proverbially punching assholes in the gut and frankly, such a public slapping is awesome. On the other hand, professionalism kinda demands being able to look past personality for work's sake. but then again, art is a bit different. I consider art to be an extension of the self, so there is quite a distinct connection between art and artist. If I can't bring myself to like the artist in any way, I'm hard-pressed to actually enjoy the art apart from that. :/

In any case, major kudos to Chris Sprouse to sticking to his opinion.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
I find funny that people see those situations always in black or white. It is possible to separate the artist from his/her beliefs and it is also possible to not do that.

People have limits and it is smart to make decisions giving consideration to context.

It is not hypocrisy to accept some kind of dickness from an artist an refusing to support others. It is a sign that people have different sensibilities about different subjects.

Alan Moore is mostly arrogant and crass (it is actually kind of funny). I don't think bigotry and prejudice are that harmless, though. The community uproar kinds of proves that point.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Therumancer said:
My point is that sure, to you OSC might be another Von Braun, but you can appreciate his work without agreeing with him as a person.
Of course it is possible. But there are clearly limits on that. Would you buy a beautiful painting from an artist that killed your parents?

This is not a black or white issue. Art is not a black and white issue. In some cases, the value of art is heavily influenced by context and in other cases less so (normally years after the artist death).

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Jackel86 said:
Hopefully Shadow Complex 2 can release without his name attached to it this time.
Oh wow this guy had something to do with my favorite XBLA game!? I should have known about this, but I didn't.

Wait... didn't the story of Shadow Complex revolve around conquering San Francisco!? I always thought that part of the story was strange and nonsensical, but hearing this it now suddenly has amusing implications haha

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Therumancer said:

I wish I could find that clapping .gif, because you sir/ma'am would have earned it from me. I'm basically in the same boat as you, so I know how that feels. A man's achievements should not be marred by his personal beliefs, they should be judged on their own grounds. Using the Hitler example, he might have been a terrible man, but he allowed research which found tabacco to be harmful, started environmentally friendly organizations, and brought in reforms to industry. He may have also killed off Jews, disabled (which by rights should piss me off) Gypsys and even the elderly and has created some of the worst things in history. But I can appreciate the good that he also did.

OT: Like I said above, even if he's funding anti-gay propaganda, his work should be based on his own skill and how he sets it out. If it's filled with homophobic/sexist bigotry that shouldn't be in there, all the power to ya. But wait until his work comes out - if it comes out - before dismissing it.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
StewShearer said:
I can relate to this issue in a rather personal way. A few years ago I took over writing the videogame column for Mr. Card's online fiction magazine. I am also a long time fan of the Ender books, as in they inspired me to pursue writing At the time, I was unaware of Card's personal views regarding homosexuality and same marriage. Being a rather devoted proponent of legalization (I have a gay brother and LGBT friends) it definitely provided me a moment of pause. Would it be hypocritical of me to work for him?

After discussing it with my wife, my friends and thinking about it thoroughly myself, I opted to keep writing for his publication. My reasoning at the time was simply that, no matter where I was working, I would unavoidably wind up working for or with someone who held views that opposed my beliefs. Throwing a fit and quitting would serve no one. His beliefs wouldn't be changed at all.

To the contrary, I think when people throw fits like that all it does is strengthen the resolve of the person they're trying to shame. They just dig their trenches deeper whereas some common decency and basic personal respect (while less flashy) can go a long way toward reshaping someone's views of something. I have never personally met Mr. Card, but if I were to do so and the issue of gay marriage were to come up, I think I'd be doing myself and my cause much more good by explaining my views with grace and intelligence.

Similarly, as some have said, you sometimes do just have to separate the product from the creator. Mr. Card has his views but he also wrote an excellent series of books with a primary theme of empathy and understanding. There are countless other examples. Frank Miller is currently something of a racist fascist but in his early years he wrote one of the best Batman books ever. Richard Wagner was a bit of an anti-semite, but he also wrote some of the most influential operas and classical music in history (Ride of the Valkyries). I freaking love Conan the Barbarian, even if Robert E. Howard was a racist who injected those beliefs into his writing at times.

Great works rarely come from morally white places and if that's going to be your standard for enjoying something you might as well just hole up at home and like nothing.
I agree with what you say to an extent, but not for the reasons I suspect you do. You are right that maintaining civility will be more helpful than lashing out at him, calling him worse than Hitler, and then running off. However I don't believe it will help get your views across to him or anyone else like him. Let's face it, people like him are way too close minded and full of themselves to ever even consider that they may have been wrong one time in their lives. Even if god himself came down from the heavens and told him he was wrong I still doubt he'd change his mind. What it does do however is make you look like the intelligent one. If somebody holds a different view from you and screams about you're a sympathizers who's going to burn in hell with the rest of them, while you staycalm and collected, then everyone will associate that person's rant with the viewpoint as a whole. If you start shouting back then you both just look like idiots, and if they stay civil and you don't then you look like the bad guy and make everyone who shares your view look bad. Also, I don't believe that accepting others views are just different than yours really applies when the individual you disagree with is using the money you give him or her to actively campaign against what you see as a basic human right. Make being gay illegal, really? If that's true I don't see what he's trying to accomplish other than being a spiteful prick, since there's no way in hell any law like that will pass.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
LysanderNemoinis said:
The man has an opinion, and people are losing their minds over it. We all have opinions that people don't agree with. It just seems to me that certain opinions are considered acceptable and others are not. He has no power to enforce his beliefs on others, no way to make people change their minds, no ability to influence anyone. If you don't like what he believes, don't buy his products. I for one, am not buying Bioshock Infinite or Spec Ops: The Line because I don't like what the games espouse. Pure and simple. The anti-Americanism there is as offensive to me as what Card says to some of you.
Having an opinion does not protect you from being wrong. As such, OSC is a despicable bigot and DC was right to fire him. I find your boycott of Infinite and Spec Ops odd. They're both developed by American studios and published by 2K, so there's next to no anti-American sentiment. Also, you haven't played either game, so you can't really form an opinion about them one way or the other. I have played Spec Ops, and I'm looking forward to Infinite. What there is, is anti-war messages in both, which you have every right to avoid.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
xyrafhoan said:
Voxgizer said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Archie comics wouldn't even touch OSC with a 10-ft poll. Even they have standards and also adamantly defended having gay marriage featured as a cover story in their comic.

Personally I'm glad that the artist has dumped his responsibility in this story. Whatever talent in writing OSC may have had when he first started writing has shrivelled away as his views became narrowly refined into bigoted hate. I have no reason to believe his treatment of Superman will be any better than any of his more recent writing atrocities, where his beliefs have obviously seeped into.
I know but Archie was the first thing that came to mind. Maybe I should have said Image comics. Outlandish art mixed with bat-shit loony writers. Recipe for success, right?

captcha: be my friend

Sure, Cap.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
The problem I have with this whole thing is that opposing people like Orson Scott Card who believe fervently in a sort of badness will only reinforce their terrible beliefs. ESPECIALLY When approached with cogent argument or information.

The only way to win against these sorts of people is either from their own self-epiphany or their eventual death.

Sadly, most people take their terrible beliefs to their graves. A repeated tragedy.

Even more sad is that these kinds of people are also folks who you would think should know better.

Writers, artists, engineers, mothers, fathers. Anybody really.

But at the same time, do not make the mistake of saying that people who harbor terrible ideas are terrible people. Surely, ideas can be awful, but it does not always mean they are a terrible person. (as hard as it may be sometimes given how prominently awful American Conservatives can be in the media)