Assassin's Creed Creator Says Nobody Cares About Discs Anymore

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
What a silly person. It's not about discs vs digital, it's about the fact that "digital" is starting to mean DRM + always online + licensing instead of outright ownership + more control to the publisher, less to the consumer. Which is the opposite of what discs represent. If all digital games were released the way GOG releases them (DRM free) most of us would have no issues with it.

Shaun Chang-Time

Aug 7, 2011
im sure alot of console gamers would agree it is required mainly because we would like to keep a physical copy of it so we know we actually own the game and can keep a physical collection of it......
just because pc is mostly digital download now doesnt mean consoles have to restrict themselves to just that we should have a choice not every person has a stable internet connection or internet at all to download digital games....

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Yes, nobody cares about physical media except all the people who forced Microsoft to change. Clearly a very small number.
Ultratwinkie said:
jericu said:
Yeah, duh, nobody cares about physical stuff anymore. That's why movies, books, comics, and music are all only available digitally now and nobody buys... oh wait, DVD's, Books, Comics, and Music CD's are still around? And they're still profitable? Potentially because the people who make those media have realistic views on how much money they can expect to make from a product and put money into projects accordingly instead of pumping too much money in and then blaming the consumer when 3.5 million sales is "disappointing?"

Huh. How about that.
Hulu
Netflix
Itunes
Kindles, or other e readers.

Whats that? Books? CDs? Are you going to say we should head to blockbuster and listen to president Reagan's address?

The only thing that isn't digital is comics, and news flash, "ownership" of a comic isn't the reason those are still physical. Its the forced rarity that breads price.
You know what makes books so much better then e-readers to me? I don't have to plug them in and charge them like every other damn device.

Also, Marvel and DC have been selling digital comics for some time now.

Jack Nief

Nov 18, 2011
Well then if that's the case...

I'm willing to admit my hard-copy game library is significantly smaller than my digital lineup (thanks largely to Steam) I know better than to jump to completely digital because for one, have you seen the size of a number of these games? Games are not getting smaller (unless they're indie... usually) and the more time goes on, the bigger games will get, and the longer they will take to download.

I'm currently house-sitting for a neighbor. They have internet, but its far from the high-speed connection I had prior. It has issues streaming 380p Youtube videos, and downloading games is just NOT happening...

Let's work on expanding that vast global network people use called the internet to the point where it isn't barely useable at best, or completely inaccessible at worst for the 60% of the world not online. THEN we can start looking into fully stepping into the Digital Gaming Age.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I want my physical disks for collecting purposes! I'd even be willing to pay a few extra dollars to have a physical copy, that's how much I care about disks Mr. Desilets. I prefer my games on shelves NOT in hard drives.

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
He's right. I don't care about ubisoft at all..

..wait he meant discs? Oh that, I do care. It is easier for as I have a bandwidth cap, and you can fit up to 128GB with BDXL bluray, though standard are the DL 50GB discs. Not everyone has the best internet to go 100% digital. So suck it up buttercup, discs are here to stay for awhile longer.

captcha: no stinkin badges.. that's right you cocksucker.

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
Huh. You know, I own a console, I'm about to own a second console, and I only buy games on disc for them. I DLed Dante's Inferno on the Xbox, but other than that I've always bought discs and I intend to keep doing so. When I want something small and cheap and quasi-instantly I turn on my laptop, but lately I've been playing a lot of my games on that Xbox.

But, you know, if deep down I don't really care, that's okay.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
Absolutionis said:
Notably, as a PC Gamer, I really don't care about Ubisoft either considering how much they don't care about me.
He doesn't work for Ubisoft. In fact they fired him.
It all makes sense now.

wooty said:
I care about discs. The day gaming goes fully digital is probably going to be the day that I get a new hobby, or start searching for a new girlfriend.
Eeyup. That's what I keep saying too. I tolerate digital on my PC when I have to (I bought Starcraft II and Bioshock Infinite physical copies, because I didn't want to spend forty hours combined downloading them), but one of the biggest conveniences to me about console gaming is just sticking a physical copy into the console and turning it on. Plus I love looking at my collection. Because, guess what, guy-formerly-from-Ubisoft? A 20 GB game takes me twenty hours to download, and that's only if I have the internet all to myself and it doesn't decide to cut out halfway through for some reason.

So you can take your digital future and kindly shove it down your cake-hole, Patrice Desilets.

I'd also appreciate if these people would stop assuming they know and can just tell me what I want.

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
Hey if you want to annoy him on twitter... https://twitter.com/PatriceDez

Just giving away free information!

*shifty eyes*

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I DON'T care about discs.

I do care about ownership. I do care about DRM. That is why I buy from GOG.com all day long, its all digital but I have an installer that I know I will always be able to install and play no matter what happens to GOG.com or the original publisher.

That was the real problem with Microsoft's attempt to straightjacket users with their DRM and 24 internet check-ins. Give us freedom. Even Steam enables a permanent offline mode for users.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
yeah? and? To fucking bad, the consumers have spoken. You want an all digital console future? Make one that isn't slanted to benefit the publishers and no one else, then we'll talk.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
strumbore said:
Patrice Desilets said:
"Yeah, games come on disc, and I get it guys, you were really pissed off," he said. "But, deep down, nobody cares about not having CDs any more. The future is digital, and there's nothing you can do about it."
What a sack of ****. This industry is stuffed at the highest levels with nerds who have to get their way, consumer be damned. You disagree, you're loser, a moron, a Luddite. It's not the developers job to appeal, it's the consumer's to submit. I had no idea until this whole Xbone fiasco started early this year how bad it all was.
He is French...

All racism and stupidity aside I wouldn't call him a piece of shit, I'd just say he's blinded by his own personal life. He most likely takes full advantage of digital distribution in it's current form and doesn't realise that not everyone can do that. He's more or less ignorant of the fact that the reason we don't want digital now is because a good deal of us literally can not access it. I do agree with Strumbore though, he is sounding like the dudes in school whom were "too intelligent for you", but I really don't care because majority always wins.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
If you want to go all digital, announce a price cut on your games at the same time. Do you really expect people to pay the same 60 dollars for content that only exists in the ether versus a physical copy in their hands? That's the problem with the publishers that are pushing all digital for the control it gives them and then offering none of the benefits of all digital to the consumer.
As a PC gamer, I buy almost all my games digitally but people still handle it very poorly. I can imagine why everyone who owns a console is pushing against it.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Abomination said:
chozo_hybrid said:
I care, I have a bandwidth limit. I've only just got into the Assassins Creed Games, currently playing the first. I know, I'm late to the game, but I've been playing other things. I just bought the first two for $20 NZ total, on disc for my PC. I do that when I can because that way it doesn't chew through mine and my flat mates internet, people like this seem to live in this world where everyone has unlimited net, or money, one of the two it seems.
See, I recently moved and had to downgrade to a 150 gig/month plan (myself and my girlfriend spend a lot of time on the internet) and some games take 11 gigs+. That's nearly 10% of my monthly limit on a game.

I'm probably going to upgrade again to the 500 gig limit as my finances have improved and this problem won't concern me as much but still... I won't be everyone.
See, the highest we can get, and have is 150 gigs. That's between four people, three of who love games and such. Yeah if we all get the same game, one downloads, then we put it on USB and then copy it to console/computer then buy it and have Steam or the console say we can play it now by detecting it's there. But we have drastically different tastes. Witcher 2, I got the disc of for PC, still had to download 11 gigs, just to patch and add stuff to the game before I could play it for example.

Digital is the future, sure, I can see that, but that future is still a ways off.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I confess I personally DONT care about discs. What I care about is rights and as long as this industry (along with the other media industries) persist in trying to change the rules of the game surrounding products by trying to turn them into subscriptions so as to bypass consumer protection and rights then we all must resist not only for our sakes but for the sakes of idiots like these who do not even understand how they are destroying themselves.

The scary thing is that we seemingly do not yet grasp is that this technically IS the future. Digital distribution is about to absolutely explode with things like 3d printing and as it does what we do today is the battleground of that future. If we do not resist their vision of the future, we will have all lost in future decades where 3d printing will allow everything to be printed, transmitted via digital distribution and all your worldly possessions will be viewed as subscriptions and licenses. Apply Steam like policies that view your car or clothes subject to revokable, suspendable, discontinuable subscriptions that can be held hostage until voluntary compliance with new terms and conditions. Apply always on principles and Imagine driving to visit your grandparents out in the middle of no where and your car shutting down because you go out of range of an always online connection causing you to drive over a cliff to your death.

No it does not matter how many people come out and say it is the future because they WANT it to be the future (even though they cannot forsee how catastrophic such a future would be for themselves), As long as DD is approached with such resentment and loathing against consumers by trying to jam anti consumer down the throats of the people it cannot and should not be "accepted"

jericu

Oct 22, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
jericu said:
Yeah, duh, nobody cares about physical stuff anymore. That's why movies, books, comics, and music are all only available digitally now and nobody buys... oh wait, DVD's, Books, Comics, and Music CD's are still around? And they're still profitable? Potentially because the people who make those media have realistic views on how much money they can expect to make from a product and put money into projects accordingly instead of pumping too much money in and then blaming the consumer when 3.5 million sales is "disappointing?"

Huh. How about that.
Hulu
Netflix
Itunes
Kindles, or other e readers.

Whats that? Books? CDs? Are you going to say we should head to blockbuster and listen to president Reagan's address?

The only thing that isn't digital is comics, and news flash, "ownership" of a comic isn't the reason those are still physical. Its the forced rarity that breads price.
I'm not saying that digital alternatives don't exist, but nobody is claiming that digital is the future and physical discs/books are irrelevant in any other form of media. The only reason anyone gives for why "All Digital Is The Future" that actually has a basis in objective fact is because (supposedly) multi-million dollar corporations would make more money. Which is not a particularly good way to convince consumers to go all digital.