Atheists who celebrate X-mas

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
lax4life said:
I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas because of the idea that it brings of togetherness, unity, and unconditional love for at least a day. AND THE PRESENTS!!
That. Every single word.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Oh, everyone celebrates it in someone way, whether they admit it or not.

Eggnog Latte? Christmas parties? Ridiculous Steam sales? If you've been a consumer of any one of those, you've taken part in the Christmas festivities.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sup I said:
DMonkey said:
Whats not to love about christmas?
Shit, I'm as agnostic as it gets, and I friggin LOVE it!

Family
Eggnog
Presents
Eggnog
Ham
Eggnog
Laughing at dad when he insists on reading Mark before opening presents
Eggnog
Getting shit face with friends and singing carols even though none of us knows the words
EGGNOG (with rum)

Christmas rocks!

Though, Halloween kicks its ass.
You said eggnog twice.
He said it five times. Nice observational skills.

Stone Wera

Feb 13, 2010
I celebrate Christmas because my family does. Besides, if it weren't for the family's sake I'd be settings up bear traps at the bottom of the chimney, it's for the kid's safety damn it! A jolly old man sneaking in your house in the dead of night? He sees you when your sleeping, knows when you're awake? I don't think so, ma, lock up the kids and fetch the shotgun.

GLaDOS V 2.1

Sep 22, 2008
Pfft. I don't care if it's jesus' birthday or not. If I don't have a PS3 under my tree I'm gonna trow a really big tantrum.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Well the short answer is, when someone says Christmas what are the first 3 images to pop in your mind? For me its a Tree, Ol' Saint Nick, and a gift wrapped box. A baby in a manger doesn't even make the top 3.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I'm not necessarily Christian, but I wouldn't mind Christmas becoming a christian holiday once again, if only to get away from all the inescapable abominations of commercialized christmas. I'm sure many of you stand by me in being tired of hearing chrismas muzak everywhere you go, and if you're out of college, then some of you probably also wouldn't mind not being pressured to find presents for everyone every year. The best part is, even if we don't celebrate it anymore, companies will still be obligated to let us take a day off.
I used to be offended by christians saying we can't celebrate christmas, but now I say they can have it.

Sep 14, 2009
i would say christmas is based more off of tradition than actual religion, i do know some hardcore jews though who get pissed when anyone asks them what they are doing for christmas, but otherwise its just a good time to care for friends and family, get and give presents. why not celebrate that?

now easter, that is a different story..but whatever floats your boat.

SnowCold

Oct 1, 2008
nomis101uk said:
*sigh* Only in the United States of Jesus, is the issue of atheists and Christmas ever considered an issue.
Only in the united states of jesus, the most holy chirstian holiday has become secular.

As a jew, I am appalled at how chirstians are selling their faith.

curty129

Jul 24, 2009
Sup I said:
DMonkey said:
Whats not to love about christmas?
Shit, I'm as agnostic as it gets, and I friggin LOVE it!

Family
Eggnog
Presents
Eggnog
Ham
Eggnog
Laughing at dad when he insists on reading Mark before opening presents
Eggnog
Getting shit face with friends and singing carols even though none of us knows the words
EGGNOG (with rum)

Christmas rocks!

Though, Halloween kicks its ass.
You said eggnog twice.
I think he was referring to his family being eggnog. His presents being eggnog. His ham being eggnog. His dad's presents being eggnog. And the carols he sings consisting of only one word: EGGNOG. ("With rum": the refrain, probably.)

OT: "I believe it has gone past that to just a holiday to come together and show each other we care." And I think some people do enjoy the presents, yummy food and beautiful decorations that come along with it. Don't forget that.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
CR!'s recent special on the Krampus led me to do a bit of research, Christmas (Brumalia, to give it it's correct name, the term Christmas comes from "Christ's Mass") was originally the celebration of the God Bacchus (or Dionysus, the God of Wine, among other things), where citizens would give gifts to one-another, and slaves and servants would be allowed to do as they please for the length of the holiday. (Which would start in late November and last for about a month)

So, you see, Christmas was about love, giving and all that good stuff before that Jesus git even entered into the equation.

(The real Christian holiday is, of course, Easter, which is the celebration of Christ's death and subsequent rebirth, historically Christmas has only been the main festival in the remnants of the Roman Empire, such as France or Britain, and of course their colonies, most notably the US, which spread Christmas to the rest of the world!)

alinos

Nov 18, 2009
ioxles said:
Saint Nicholas is a Christian Saint, of East European (german?) origin, coloured by Coca Cola and dumped in the North Pole.
seeing as christmas was started before thr christian's grabbed it, especially since some argue jesus was born miles apart from the actual date of xmas anyway's. but it fits with the whole free gift giving of the three wise men. So why shouldn't they appropriate it.

Remember history is written by the victors and since we had the whole dark ages where religion poo-poo'd on any kind of thought other than it was god's will. It's hard to know what history they have eradicated from the books because it went against them in some way.

in the old days religion was a way to justify the killing of anyone that they didn't like, "oh let's go invade this country in the name of the lord"

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
The Cheezy One said:
ThatLankyBastard said:
I'm an Atheist with a very Christian family...

... does that make me special?

...I hope not...
Personally, I like people like you. You find people at my church who assume they are Christian because their family is. Find God your own way!
Somebody likes me??

It's the best Christmas ever!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
akibawall95 said:
I think Christmas is no longer just a religious holiday. I believe in god but I know several atheists who celebrate Christmas and some of my other Christian friends do not think they should be celebrating if they do not believe in Christ. I believe it has gone past that to just a holiday to come together and show each other we care.

Edit: If you read what I said: I think atheists should, do and can celebrate Chirstams.
Christmas hasn't been a religious holiday in my entire lifetime.

In short, you're at least 30 years late on this one.

DarkPegasus333

Mar 21, 2010
I'm an Atheist and I don't see anything wrong with celebrating Christmas. It's a great way to get the family (families now...since I'm married o_O) together and have some fun. Besides, Christmas is just a conglomeration of various pagan holidays and traditions. It's the spirit of Christmas that counts, not what you worship...right?

Aug 1, 2010
I'm as atheist as they come and I love Christmas. I agree that it is no longer a religious holiday and is much more about just sharing happiness with friends and family.